Pre-Season 2022/23 Megathread | [FT] Rangers 1 (Colak 24') - 2 Tottenham

17 minutes ago, buster. said:

My uncle (Allan Brown) played alongside them in the same forward line. Blackpool paid a then record transfer fee (26,500) to a Scottish club for his services.

Respect. Great footballer.

1 hour ago, Scott7 said:

Respect. Great footballer.

You remember him ?

Don't often meet or speak with people who saw him play.

I never saw him play in real time. He was finishing up when I was born. 

THe club have (or had) a system where they could only pick 5 players from each decade, to be club legends.

Matthews and Mortenson were two and despite being there for only 6 years, my uncle joined them.

Ironic point, I was shown an old UK newspaper front page at a young age. It was early 50's and my uncle was on it after having broken his leg in the act of scoring the goal that took Blackpool into FA Cup semifinal (year of Matthews final). Well, the ironic part was that the main story on that front page was Shah of Iran taking over thanks to Operation Ajax. I always remembered it 😂

3 hours ago, buster. said:

You remember him ?

Don't often meet or speak with people who saw him play.

Never saw him play except on newsreel but read plenty and heard radio commentaries on the international matches (Peter Thomson and Raymond Glendenning) Your uncle was always rated in the press reports. Got his caps when other inside forward options were available - Steel, Hamilton, Turnbull, Wardhaugh, Johnstone. Wealth of talent and none played for Rangers or celtic.

Scored against Rangers in East Fife’s League Cup semi-final victory. Every family has its black sheep.

41 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Never saw him play except on newsreel but read plenty and heard radio commentaries on the international matches (Peter Thomson and Raymond Glendenning) Your uncle was always rated in the press reports. Got his caps when other inside forward options were available - Steel, Hamilton, Turnbull, Wardhaugh, Johnstone. Wealth of talent and none played for Rangers or celtic.

Scored against Rangers in East Fife’s League Cup semi-final victory. Every family has its black sheep.

Think he managed a team to win the English fourth division 

On 21/06/2022 at 17:11, Scott7 said:

Rangers wanted to sign him and bring him back to Scotland. Scot Symon had been his manager at East Fife during their 'glory years' and wanted him at Ibrox.

On 21/06/2022 at 17:54, compo said:

Think he managed a team to win the English fourth division 

Aye, Luton.

He was the Nottingham Forest manager and someone called Brian Clough took over from him.

• Frankie changed the title to Pre-Season 2022/23 Megathread | Training starts today