In the past two tournaments they have done reasonably well so last night I watched them take on the Magyars and they were quite poor,but after the game the one’s who were blowing his trumpet at the weekend were asking if he should be replaced before the next game .

And the channel four coverage was really grim three black presenters two of them women along with Ashley Cole and some other twat even the after match interview was another woman a poor poor presentation.

Edited by compo

I very much enjoyed that.

I have never rated Southgate. 

I think they were lucky in the WC and even the Euros to a large extent by easy (home) draws. The only notable result was the win against Germany, but even then, Germany were not great at that stage. 

The only thing I can say for him is that he created a cohesive unit; it seemed like they were all together. 

His tactics are so poor. He reminds me of Scotland's Clarke: it's negative, defensive football, based on organisation. To be fair, it will get you so far, but then there are better teams that will show you up. 

4 hours ago, compo said:

Thought it was strange when your centre half gets sent off in the last ten minutes to replace him with another given that they were three down at that point 

He didn't want to lose another goal......

Oh!.........Wait...

Southgate has made so many really bad errors of judgement that it's a mystery why he has had so much popular support for so long. He's blessed with so many wonderful players that it must take a particular talent to make such a guddle of it.

I actually watched that last night (managed to forego Clarke's Scotland) and without being absoloutely glued to the match, thought:

-the Hungarians took their goals well; smartly and cleverly

-the ENG 'keeper, on watching the replays maybe left a bit to be desired. A mate texted me to say that he thought the poor fellow had the unhappy knack of making the goals look larger rather than smaller ie he is not the biggest, and lacks 'presence'

-Walker may be on his last lap as No 1 pick at rb/rwb

-Kalvin Phillips gave away free kicks, and may not have been fully match fit; probably not first pick even if fit

-Saka ineffective on left wing

-Mount knackered/off form

-Stones is a good footballer, but not a leader

-the crowd do not like Southgate; this has been the case for some time, no matter his results, and last night did not soothe them; I don't think his waistcoat is on the shoogly nail, but if he stuffs up the WC (ie doesn't get to a semi) he will be put on the first stage out of Dodge

21 hours ago, Uilleam said:

I actually watched that last night (managed to forego Clarke's Scotland) and without being absoloutely glued to the match, thought:

-the Hungarians took their goals well; smartly and cleverly

-the ENG 'keeper, on watching the replays maybe left a bit to be desired. A mate texted me to say that he thought the poor fellow had the unhappy knack of making the goals look larger rather than smaller ie he is not the biggest, and lacks 'presence'

-Walker may be on his last lap as No 1 pick at rb/rwb

-Kalvin Phillips gave away free kicks, and may not have been fully match fit; probably not first pick even if fit

-Saka ineffective on left wing

-Mount knackered/off form

-Stones is a good footballer, but not a leader

-the crowd do not like Southgate; this has been the case for some time, no matter his results, and last night did not soothe them; I don't think his waistcoat is on the shoogly nail, but if he stuffs up the WC (ie doesn't get to a semi) he will be put on the first stage out of Dodge

Agreed, there is something about his need to "educate" the watching public that is grating with many as well as his lack of tactical nouce.

Get up off your knees and play football, thats all any of the watching public want, not some half arsed political virtue signalling that lost its meaning over a year ago. 

There are so many ways to signal support for genuine anti-racism campaigns, without kneeling to copy a marxist rip-off mob. I only hope football teams will stop this empty virtue signalling soon.