Stockmarket Carnage

5 hours ago, buster. said:

Why is there such an appetite to further this conflict ? A question to ask of all sides.

Glenn Greenwald keeps posting this quote attributed to Adam Smith.

It's obviously not the case for all but it does seem to be a familiar sentiment.

2 hours ago, buster. said:

There is no appetite for conflict amongst ordinary Ukrainians. But there is with Zelensky (sp) and with some (not all) of his backers in the West. They are interested in it going on for a lot longer. That is why they too, are a threat to all.

Not sure about some of this.

I have not had time to go and read about this, in detail, but I've read brief reports that suggest the following:

Zelensy was elected on a platform of making peace with Russia. The public backed this by a fair margin. Zelensky went to pull back troops from the Donbas and was told to get lost. (I think there might even be footage of some soldiers calling him a little bitch to his face.) Then something changed and the Ukraine started to go off in another direction in 2021.

If that account is accurate enough then it suggests that the Ukrainian people don't want war. That Zelensky can be bent in any direction required by his backers. Finally that some troops in the Ukraine do quite like the idea of war with D.P.R, L.P.R. and Russia. (If anybody reads about any overzealous Ukrainian troops fighting in the Donbas region then please let us know).

Neither of the three inferences mentioned above would have been controversial in January.

:thinking:

8 minutes ago, Thinker said:

There's one point I'd like to focus on here Buster, and that's the phrase "Goodies and Baddies", which you've used a few times.

The fact that some of us are particualrly appalled by Russia's (or Putin's) actions doesn't necessarily mean we have a simplistic view of the situation. I doubt any of us on here see are that naiive, and it's a bit condescending to suggest we are. It's possible to be fully aware of the dubious ways the West has acted, and also to believe that the Russian military invasion of the Ukraine crosses a line.

So no, not goodies vs baddies. More like far-from-goodies (the West) versus OTT baddies.

How much evidence is there that anyone, apart from yourself, thinks about it in that way?

What we really need is an in-depth analysis of US foreign policy, written by someone who understands the big, geopolitical picture.

That way we (posters on here and society in general) wouldn't have such a simplistic view of the current set-up.  

2 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

What we really need is an in-depth analysis of US foreign policy, written by someone who understands the big, geopolitical picture.

That way we (posters on here and society in general) wouldn't have such a simplistic view of the current set-up.  

Have you just been sitting on this suggestion?