Stockmarket Carnage

I mean, when criticising something it's not always necessary to make additional comments about something comparable.

You can criticise Russia's actions and not mention your thoughts about similar activities the USA has been involved in, without it meaning you support or approve of them.  

15 minutes ago, stewarty said:

In what way?

We have a thread on the topic. It is heading towards a hundred pages.

If you held a nuanced opinion then we shouldn't expect to find you alluding to ulterior motives so late on in the thread.

11 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I mean, when criticising something it's not always necessary to make additional comments about something comparable.

You can criticise Russia's actions and not mention your thoughts about similar activities the USA has been involved in, without it meaning you support or approve of them.  

Dare we imagine that this door swings both ways?!

1 minute ago, ranger_syntax said:

We have a thread on the topic. It is heading towards a hundred pages.

If you held a nuanced opinion then we shouldn't expect to find you alluding to ulterior motives so late on in the thread.

Your assertion was wrong, and the subsequent reply above, a mystery.

Anyways, my nuance is matched only by my humility.   Do keep up.

On 21/06/2022 at 14:36, ranger_syntax said:

Not sure about some of this.

I have not had time to go and read about this, in detail, but I've read brief reports that suggest the following:

Zelensy was elected on a platform of making peace with Russia. The public backed this by a fair margin. Zelensky went to pull back troops from the Donbas and was told to get lost. (I think there might even be footage of some soldiers calling him a little bitch to his face.) Then something changed and the Ukraine started to go off in another direction in 2021.

If that account is accurate enough then it suggests that the Ukrainian people don't want war. That Zelensky can be bent in any direction required by his backers. Finally that some troops in the Ukraine do quite like the idea of war with D.P.R, L.P.R. and Russia. (If anybody reads about any overzealous Ukrainian troops fighting in the Donbas region then please let us know).

Neither of the three inferences mentioned above would have been controversial in January.

:thinking:

I wasn't aware of his past electoral platform, thanks!...but was very much referring to the present.

On 21/06/2022 at 14:18, ranger_syntax said:

Glenn Greenwald keeps posting this quote attributed to Adam Smith.

It's obviously not the case for all but it does seem to be a familiar sentiment.

I think what Eisenhower warned against (MIC) is perhaps more relevant.