Julian Assange extradition

4 hours ago, Bluedell said:

I knew someone who the US spent 4 years trying to extradite from the UK. A combination of a good lawyer, clever strategy and ultimately agreeing to pay a 9 figure pay-off resulted in him never going.

That's quite the pay off.

On 17/06/2022 at 12:42, ranger_syntax said:

Does anybody know what crimes he is being extradited for?

Whenever I look all I ever see is the espionage act mentioned. I've yet to see more detail than that.

There is an obvious reason why no-one can give you a satisfactory answer that might also be considered as justification for extradition. 

Assange/Wikileaks represent(ed) a huge threat to many who want to conceal unconvenient truths and instead put forward their narrative.

Look at the contrasting fortunes of Assange and Blair.

One revealed truth and the other essentially committed war crimes.

One was knighted and the other won't see anothr day of freedom in his life.

Power doesn't want  the truth.

They tend to make up the truth that best suits them and the narrative that serves their interest.

Then they have the masses fed with it, repeatedly.

I remember when the US suffered a backlash regards Vietnam and it had a lot to do with horrific images coming out of the war zone. They since clamped down on reporting such events with the advent of the embedded and approved reporter.

Then came Wikileaks and whistleblowers bringing to the public's attention, the attrocities that were being committed in their name. Well, that needed taking care of, can't have the public being informed of anything but the pack of lies they want you to consume (and too often, believe). The producers of "WMD in Iraq" have upped their game. Anyone who meaningfully gets in their way, will be removed from any possible position of real opposition. 

The powers that be want to manage our consumption of the 'truth' and they have never been so far advanced and comprehensive, in achieving it.

3 hours ago, buster. said:

There is an obvious reason why no-one can give you a satisfactory answer that might also be considered as justification for extradition. 

Assange/Wikileaks represent(ed) a huge threat to many who want to conceal unconvenient truths and instead put forward their narrative.

Look at the contrasting fortunes of Assange and Blair.

One revealed truth and the other essentially committed war crimes.

One was knighted and the other won't see anothr day of freedom in his life.

Power doesn't want  the truth.

They tend to make up the truth that best suits them and the narrative that serves their interest.

Then they have the masses fed with it, repeatedly.

I remember when the US suffered a backlash regards Vietnam and it had a lot to do with horrific images coming out of the war zone. They since clamped down on reporting such events with the advent of the embedded and approved reporter.

Then came Wikileaks and whistleblowers bringing to the public's attention, the attrocities that were being committed in their name. Well, that needed taking care of, can't have the public being informed of anything but the pack of lies they want you to consume (and too often, believe). The producers of "WMD in Iraq" have upped their game. Anyone who meaningfully gets in their way, will be removed from any possible position of real opposition. 

The powers that be want to manage our consumption of the 'truth' and they have never been so far advanced and comprehensive, in achieving it.

But don't forget his actions in releasing the 250k unredacted US diplomatic cables into the public domain of which 150 refer directly to whistle-blowers, and thousands include the names of sources that could be put in danger by the publication of their identities. Most newspapers including The The Guardian, The New York Times, El Pais, Der Spiegel and Le Monde condemned the leak at the time as it broke the agreement under which they accepted whistle-blower releases. 

But yes, the establishment dosen't want the truth and Blair should be tried as a war criminal. 

How come these economic migrants that are brought to our shores are lawyer'd/NGO'd to the hilt yet civilians in Iraq cannot find representation to make a civil or criminal case against Blair and his merry band of pacifists like Straw and Brown? 

5 minutes ago, compo said:

Did he actually commit any of these accusations in America and if not why is he going to be put on trial I read he's facing a possible 175 years in prison. 

Define “in America”. If the info he released was “in America” then I suppose he must have been too. 

17 minutes ago, compo said:

Did he actually commit any of these accusations in America and if not why is he going to be put on trial I read he's facing a possible 175 years in prison. 

He published them after getting them from ex army trans soldier Chelsea Manning, who was sentenced to 35 years but was released by the Obama administration after 6 and then began writing including for the Guardian suprise suprise. 

Assange published them worldwide so the buck stops with him.