Back Down To Earth With A Bump

Maybe it�s just the eternal pessimist in me, but wasn�t there something rather predictable and inventible about the 4-2 defeat to Hearts? Not just the result, but in the manner of the performance, team selection and a return to form from this seasons laughing stock / whipping boys that are Heart of Midlothian?

Not too many of our players covered themselves in glory at Tynecastle with our normally reliable defence looking at sixes and sevens. McGregor and Hutton were awful and CC and Weir weren�t much better. Weir in particular has looked a tired and jaded defender of the last few weeks and maybe its time to rest his aging limbs.

Without BF in midfield, we appear a rudderless ship. I know many Rangers fans believe that we are a better team without Ferguson, but in my humble opinion that theory was blown out of the water today. With no BF we have no fight, no guile and don�t appear as solid.

Hard to blame the forwards today as they received very little service but I have to say that WS MUST pick his preferred front two and stick with them. This chopping and changing isn�t doing anyone any good so pick 2 and stick with them for 10 (or so games). Personally, I would plump for Cousin and Darchville.

However, overall, we have had a decent start to the season and it will be interesting to see how the players bounce back from this set-back (lets hope that�s all it is) against Stuttgart in our opening Champions League fixture. It will also be interesting to see how WS and his staff play this game. Will we go all out for a victory or will they play it cagey? For me, the next 2 games (Stuttgart, Abergreen) are MUST wins so I�d like to see WS picking our strongest 11 and going for back to back impressive victories in the coming days.

Rollercoaster

One thing that is for sure, the result against Hearts wonââ?¬â?¢t be our only ââ?¬Ë?downââ?¬â?¢ of the season and as fans, all we can hope for is that we have more ââ?¬Ë?upsââ?¬â?¢ than we have ââ?¬Ë?downsââ?¬â?¢. Itââ?¬â?¢s safe to say that most of us would have been pleased with only one defeat and progression into the Champions League group stages if offered it at the start of the season. Lets not forget that we are bedding in a whole new team and unfortunately, weââ?¬â?¢ll have days like today at Tynecastle ââ?¬â?? itââ?¬â?¢s the nature of the beast and comes with the territory. As long as the players and management learn from these mistakes and as long as these knock-backs make us stronger and wiser we should ensure more highs than lows.

We have a huge month coming up and at the end of that period we will have a much better idea of our best team / formation and a clearer picture of how our season is going to pan out. The reaction to the Hearts defeat has been predictable and as we know, life at Rangers is black or white ââ?¬â?? there is no middle ground. Last week we were flying, unstoppable, certain SPL winners and had a chance in our CL group. One defeat later, we are also-rans, garbage, and likely to get zero points in the CL. As usual, the reality will lie somewhere in the ââ?¬Ë?middle-groundââ?¬â?¢.

Some of our new signings have shown enough to suggest that they will be decent purchases for us. Others still have some work to do to convince the majority that they have something to offer. However, as we are as a fanbase very hard to please, some of them will be written off no matter what they achieve at Rangers (just look at Peter Lovenkrands as an example).

So folks, get yourself belted in and get ready to ride the rollercoaster that is Rangers FC.

Estadio Santiago Bernabeu

Just returned from Madrid were we visited the magnificent Estadio Santiago Bernabeu and have to say that the tour of the stadium is a must for all football fans. It was a privilege to have visited the home of Real Madrid and would highly recommend the tour. It cost E15 and unlike most stadium tours I have made, this is self paced and doesnââ?¬â?¢t include a tour guide. The only negative is that their isnââ?¬â?¢t anyone to ask question as most of the ââ?¬Ë?officialsââ?¬â?¢ situated around the tour area donââ?¬â?¢t speak English. However, you are given a brilliant tour ââ?¬Ë?bookletââ?¬â?¢ that is yours to keep. Tours run from 10:30AM to 7:00PM Monday to Saturday (until 6:30PM Sundays and bank holidays) ââ?¬â?? only closed Xmas and New Years Day.

The tour starts with a lift up to the top tier for a panoramic view of the stadium (and surrounding area if you are interested) and you really appreciated the scale of the stadium when you are ââ?¬Ë?up in the Godsââ?¬â?¢. Then it is off to the ââ?¬Ë?Trophy Exhibitionââ?¬â?¢ which houses European Cups, UEFA Cups, League Trophies etc along with photos of famous matches, players etc. Next itââ?¬â?¢s a tour of the ââ?¬Ë?standsââ?¬â?¢ that includes the Presidential Box, Dug-Outs and a walk pitch-side and then to the dressing rooms via the tunnel. You only get to visit the away dressing room as the ââ?¬Ë?galactiosââ?¬â?¢ require their ââ?¬Ë?privacyââ?¬â?¢. From there you are directed into the press-room then the tour finishes in the club shop.

One major factor in this tour is the Club Museum which hosts the ââ?¬Ë?Trophy Exhibitionââ?¬â?¢ and highlights why we really require something similar at Ibrox. The museum tracks the history of the club from its conception in 1902 up until the present day and houses all their trophies as well as shirts from players from every era of the club (not just at football but athletics, boxing, basketball etc). Another very interesting piece in the museum is a board that shows all players who have played for Real as well as their nationalities. There is one Scotsman by the name of Watson to have pulled on the famous white jersey.

So all in all, the tour is well worth the E15 and it took us well over 2 hours to complete. There is no restrictions on camera or video equipment so you are free to capture all this history on film for future reference.

Cammy F ââ?¬â?? We Are The Peopleââ?¬Â¦.

Weir in particular has looked a tired and jaded defender of the last few weeks and maybe its time to rest his aging limbs.

Without BF in midfield, we appear a rudderless ship. I know many Rangers fans believe that we are a better team without Ferguson, but in my humble opinion that theory was blown out of the water today. With no BF we have no fight, no guile and don�t appear as solid.

Hard to blame the forwards today as they received very little service but I have to say that WS MUST pick his preferred front two and stick with them. This chopping and changing isn�t doing anyone any good so pick 2 and stick with them for 10 (or so games). Personally, I would plump for Cousin and Darchville.

Fine piece and I agree with the team matters.

Weir is never going to last the pace and should be played spareinly (sp). But Webster would have played today had he not had a knock but what about Broadfoot who could have came in for either centre half or LB and moved Papac to the middle. Big Ugo Ehiogu is still to come back aswell.

Faye and Thomson were disappointing and Ferguson did make a difference when he came on. I still think Hemdani should be first midfielder on the team sheet but im hoping we can eventually fit Hemdani, Ferguson, Buffel and McCulloch into the midfield.

Upfront Darcheville and Cousin are definatly my pick aswell. Id even have had Sebo been given a run ahead of Boyd before we punted him. Why chase Naismith for so long and not give him a chance today before Novo?

If Walter wanted to rest Fergie then Hemdani should have been first choice. In fact Hemdani should be first choice every week. Sorry Walter this was your first big test this season and you failed miserable. I hope it was a bad day at the office and not a repeat of last season.

If Walter wanted to rest Fergie then Hemdani should have been first choice. In fact Hemdani should be first choice every week. Sorry Walter this was your first big test this season and you failed miserable. I hope it was a bad day at the office and not a repeat of last season.

Agreed,leaving BF out is fair enough,not that I would�´ve,however if you leave him out why the fuck was Hemdani not playing :confused: ?,a poor performance overall,just hope it is a blip as it was throw back to last season

Even if he wanted to rest Ferguson, he had Thomson and Faye in there. To defensive minded midfielders, also Hemdani in there is the same. So why not give Alan Gow his chance yesterday , a midfielder who likes to attack, or Whittaker in the middle with Naismith out right

.One more sickener is that the goal difference had a turn around of 7 goals and the tims are now way ahead in goals scored, which is worth a point at the end of the season

I thought that too Pete, but it is far too early to worry about that - especially as we will be one ahead when we beat the Tims 4-0 in the first OF game..... ;)

Waited to read this until I had the time to give it the proper attention it merited.

I think your spot in terms of the reation to a single defeat and how we must not got OTT. Your discussion of the current topics surrounding Rangers are spot on.

The tour of the Bernabeu sounds interesting especially since my dad recently moved to Madrid and I will be staying there prior to the Barca game.

The decision not to play Hemdani before Faye baffles me! As does the decision to drop Ferguson, but not Weir (who had played in TWO hard Scotland matches)

Thomson is a better player when we play a 4-5-1 with Thomson, Ferguson, and Hemdani - when it's a 4-4-2, he looks lost. In my view, it's THOMSON who should drop out in a 4-4-2, and come in for the 4-5-1 formation

The decision not to play Hemdani before Faye baffles me! As does the decision to drop Ferguson, but not Weir (who had played in TWO hard Scotland matches)

Thomson is a better player when we play a 4-5-1 with Thomson, Ferguson, and Hemdani - when it's a 4-4-2, he looks lost. In my view, it's THOMSON who should drop out in a 4-4-2, and come in for the 4-5-1 formation

I dont think Thomson has looked lost in the middle when played alongside Ferguson, he was really poor on Saturday but he was being overrun with Amdy Faye doing nothing to help him.

I think Thomson work rate is a lot better than Hemdani's in the middle, Hemdani, seems to want to sit in front of the back 4 and break up play (which he does really well) but i dont think we can afford to have someone just sitting in front of the back 4 when we only have 2 centre mids on the field.

So i agree with Walters decision that Thomson is a better option in a 442 formation.