Tube Strikes To Impact Rangers Matches

Useful info for anyone planning to use public transport to get to Ibrox.

https://news.stv.tv/west-central/glasgow-subway-workers-announced-four-days-of-strike-action-during-august

"The first of four 24-hour walk-outs will take place on Saturday, August 6.

The strike will impact on Rangers’ first home match of the season against Kilmarnock at Ibrox.

A 24-hour strike will also take place on Tuesday, August 9, Saturday, August 13, and Saturday, August 27.

It will also impact on Rangers’ fixtures on those days; vs Union Saint-Gilloise (August 9), vs St Johnston (August 13), vs Ross County (August 27)."

• Rousseau changed the title to Tube Strikes To Impact Rangers Matches

There is no point in having a strike, if it does not affect the employer, or customers, or suppliers, etc. Or, rather, a strike which affects no-one is unlikely to be effective.

Of course, some years ago, transport management -SPTE, or somesuch- asked Rangers to encourage its support not to use the Underground to travel to Ibrox on match days. A ludicrous proposition when one takes into account social, economic, and environmental, costs of traffic, traffic congestion, etc.

One wonders about the longer term prospect of driverless trains, and the impact of that on thought processes. 

3 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

There is no point in having a strike, if it does not affect the employer, or customers, or suppliers, etc. Or, rather, a strike which affects no-one is unlikely to be effective.

Exactly.

Not only that but the strikes give the Tube staff free time to attend Ibrox and gives the faithful no excuse to leave the game early - everyone a winner.

2 minutes ago, Yorkie Bear said:

Exactly.

Not only that but the strikes give the Tube staff free time to attend Ibrox and gives the faithful no excuse to leave the game early - everyone a winner.

Ac-Cent-Chu-Ate the positive......

1 minute ago, Yorkie Bear said:

gives the faithful no excuse to leave the game early

The probability of worse traffic congestion will counter that, I'd imagine.  

I've never once queued at Ibrox Subway - it's quicker to walk to Cessnock or Kinning Park and to jump on a tube there, after a match.  

As long as its not pissing, I often walk into central and train it from there tbh. 

I know of an employee of NW trains* who is getting his wages cut by 9k per year, having to reapply for his job, and will be working 39 weekends, up from 32 at the moment.

He's not on great money as it is, too fuckin right I'd be striking.

The media like to portray all the strikers as 50k+ per year drivers, which is far from the truth, there's a hell of a lot of lower paid staff involved. 

* Granted not this area, but fairly relevant.

Edited by Devil's advocaat

9 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

The media like to portray all the strikers as 50k+ per year drivers, which is far from the truth, there's a hell of a lot of lower paid staff involved.

The drivers do different strikes, though, don’t they?

17 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

The drivers do different strikes, though, don’t they?

Aye, IIRC Aslef is the drivers union?. I'm far from an expert, and just as far from a fan of strikes, merely pointing out its not as black and white as some would have us believe.