Lithium battery fires

2 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Free electricity for members of salary sacrifice car schemes(not a dig at you btw) and affluent types that can buy top of the range EV's. Scotland is so progressive. 🤦‍♀️

Yeah I haven't really paid any attention to it until I was potentially making a decision on one for myself, and it is a little odd.  It seems like one of those well-intentioned schemes that have been overtaken by the rate of transition to EVs.  I fully expect it to be discontinued in the near future as EVs become more prevalent.  

2 hours ago, buster. said:

Did you honestly think that fire was on an electric powered bus or are you so used to posting inaccurate stuff, it didn't really matter ?

Given your reply to yesterdays embarrassment was that you didn't care, I'm guessing the latter. 

You become more pathetic by the day. Time for another break?

58 minutes ago, stewarty said:

It wont work for some folk, I do appreciate.  

In terms of company car tax, its a benefit in kind, which is calculated based on the list value of the car multiplied by a percentage related to its CO2 emissions.  The incentives are such that for EVs its 2% for this year and the next two, whereas for my current diesel its 26%.  The resulting amount is then taxed at whatever your top rate is, with your tax code adjusted so that this is automatically deducted from your monthly salary.  So for me thats going to be a difference of circa £220 pm, with additional savings on charging costs vs fuel.

That’s a huge difference and a very clear incentive. Unfortunately my days of company cars are over.

1 minute ago, Bill said:

That’s a huge difference and a very clear incentive. Unfortunately my days of company cars are over.

Yeah.  Its enough to turn my head and persuade me to make the adjustments needed to make an EV work.  I'm gambling on there being an up turn in extra public charge points too, mainly in urban and rural locations, as motorway service stations are mostly covered by all accounts...  and alot of the main manufacturers are developing their own networks/collaborations as well. 

The furthest I tend to drive is around 3-4 hours to the other side of Manchester from Glasgow (roughly speaking). Anything longer I prefer to fly/train as it takes up too much of your day.  So I should be able to do that drive on a full charge, then topping up when I stop for a rest/coffee, that kind of thing, which doesn't seem like too much of an adjustment at this stage.   Will be interesting to see if that transpires.

3 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Yeah.  Its enough to turn my head and persuade me to make the adjustments needed to make an EV work.  I'm gambling on there being an up turn in extra public charge points too, mainly in urban and rural locations, as motorway service stations are mostly covered by all accounts...  and alot of the main manufacturers are developing their own networks/collaborations as well. 

The furthest I tend to drive is around 3-4 hours to the other side of Manchester from Glasgow (roughly speaking). Anything longer I prefer to fly/train as it takes up too much of your day.  So I should be able to do that drive on a full charge, then topping up when I stop for a rest/coffee, that kind of thing, which doesn't seem like too much of an adjustment at this stage.   Will be interesting to see if that transpires.

The problem isn’t just charge point availability but charge point capacity. A charge point is only any good if it’s vacant when you need it. A typical 12-pump petrol station has a capacity to refuel around 80 - 90 cars per hour. A charging station with the same number of charge points would be able to cater for only a fraction of that.

More and more people are beginning to see the impracticalities & unaffordability of the transition from the IC engine cars to EV’s.

And also the fact that although EV’s are emission friendly in use they are most certainly not environmentally friendly to manufacture. One million gallons of water to produce 1 tonne of lithium for the batteries is it? And the rest…

Going to be fun once people finally click that net zero doesn't equate to no use of oil, gas or coal. Same with those who think they are using 100% renewable energy simply because their supplier says so, breathtaking levels of ignorance involved.

The amount of people complicit in and profiting from greenwashing is quite phenomenal.

18 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

More and more people are beginning to see the impracticalities & unaffordability of the transition from the IC engine cars to EV’s.

And also the fact that although EV’s are emission friendly in use they are most certainly not environmentally friendly to manufacture. One million gallons of water to produce 1 tonne of lithium for the batteries is it? And the rest…

Russia supplies 20% of the Nickel for the batteries so the supply chain will be fun.

4 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Russia supplies 20% of the Nickel for the batteries so the supply chain will be fun.

Tarquin and Penelope will care as much about that as they do in regards to the child slave miners in the Democratic Republic of Congo and their Mexican drug baron supplied avocados.