To make compo greet ….

By the very knowledgeable poster, Mo_txTruBlu on FF:

”Rangers opened the 1959-60 season with the Millar Brand pairing as a No.9 and No.10 for the first time.
Jimmy Millar a Wing Half/Inside Forward, who had made only 9 appearances in the previous season, had been forced to play Centre Forward in place of the injured Max Murray in an end of season Friendly a few months earlier and scored all 4 second half goals in a 4-0 win.
Despite Max Murray being our top goalscorer in each of the previous three seasons (99 Goals in 123 Games) this prompted Scot Symon to start the 59-60 season with Millar as his Center Forward, and Ralph Brand at Inside Left.
Rangers thrashed Hibs 6-1 at Easter Rd, with Ralph Brand scoring 4 goals, and Millar netting one on his first official stint as Rangers Centre Forward.
The headline on that Saturday's Evening Times front page was "A 'BRAND' NEW FITBA' SEASON".
The promise of this MB partnership looked good, but they only got the first four games under their belt, before Symon opted to bring back Sammy Baird at Inside Left.
Surprisingly, Brand, who had scored a very impressive 29 Goals in 35 Games over the past 12 months, would only get 11 more starts that season, whilst the more experienced Sammy Baird was preferred in 38 games, with a return of 15 goals, as Rangers marched all the way to the Semi Finals of the European Cup, and collected the Scottish Cup.
Jimmy Millar ended the season as top scorer with 40 Goals in 52 Games.
Other players who impressed that season, was the versatile forward Davy Wilson who scored 22 Goals/50 Games, and that wonderful Inside Right (8), Ian McMillan who weighed in with 20 goals. Alex Scott on the right wing chipped in with 19 goals.

The next four seasons, 1960-64 would see the Millar Brand partnership combine to score 254 Goals between the pair.”

Glasgow Rangers Player by Player.

This indispensable aide memoire reminds me JF scored 145 goals in 164 games 1963/1967. Four of these were in the second half of a league cup final against Morton 1963.

Someone on this board once remarked that for a time in the sixties every photograph of a Rangers goal had JF in it with his arms raised meaning if he hadn’t banged it in himself, he was there to mak siccar.

I suspect I witnessed one of Jimmy Millar's last game for Rangers?

It was the 1966 Scottish Cup final replay. Of course, King Kai was that particular evening's hero with his 25 yard pile driver; but I remember my Old Man becoming most excited when Jimmy was named in the starting eleven. To an eight year old Primary schoolboy, Jimmy appeared most sturdy.

4 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

I suspect I witnessed one of Jimmy Millar's last game for Rangers?

It was the 1966 Scottish Cup final replay. Of course, King Kai was that particular evening's hero with his 25 yard pile driver; but I remember my Old Man becoming most excited when Jimmy was named in the starting eleven. To an eight year old Primary schoolboy, Jimmy appeared most sturdy.

When we scored some nutter through my good hat up in the air never seen it again 

23 hours ago, Scott7 said:

By the very knowledgeable poster, Mo_txTruBlu on FF:

”Rangers opened the 1959-60 season with the Millar Brand pairing as a No.9 and No.10 for the first time.
Jimmy Millar a Wing Half/Inside Forward, who had made only 9 appearances in the previous season, had been forced to play Centre Forward in place of the injured Max Murray in an end of season Friendly a few months earlier and scored all 4 second half goals in a 4-0 win.
Despite Max Murray being our top goalscorer in each of the previous three seasons (99 Goals in 123 Games) this prompted Scot Symon to start the 59-60 season with Millar as his Center Forward, and Ralph Brand at Inside Left.
Rangers thrashed Hibs 6-1 at Easter Rd, with Ralph Brand scoring 4 goals, and Millar netting one on his first official stint as Rangers Centre Forward.
The headline on that Saturday's Evening Times front page was "A 'BRAND' NEW FITBA' SEASON".
The promise of this MB partnership looked good, but they only got the first four games under their belt, before Symon opted to bring back Sammy Baird at Inside Left.
Surprisingly, Brand, who had scored a very impressive 29 Goals in 35 Games over the past 12 months, would only get 11 more starts that season, whilst the more experienced Sammy Baird was preferred in 38 games, with a return of 15 goals, as Rangers marched all the way to the Semi Finals of the European Cup, and collected the Scottish Cup.
Jimmy Millar ended the season as top scorer with 40 Goals in 52 Games.
Other players who impressed that season, was the versatile forward Davy Wilson who scored 22 Goals/50 Games, and that wonderful Inside Right (8), Ian McMillan who weighed in with 20 goals. Alex Scott on the right wing chipped in with 19 goals.

The next four seasons, 1960-64 would see the Millar Brand partnership combine to score 254 Goals between the pair.”

Great to hear phrases like 'inside right' and 'right wing.'