SPFL Close To Agreeing Sky TV Deal

1 minute ago, ranger_syntax said:

I think that Sky must know which matches a subscriber views. The black box will send viewing data back surely.

Like i say its complex. But, for example i subscribed to Now TV for Sky sports last year. Only for watching Rangers. But while i had the subscription i watched the odd EPL game. On a Sunday afternoon I would watch Rangers, then I would have an EPL game on after while i do something around the house. The put on Monday night EPL/EFL game to kill some time will I am on my exercise bike. 

The data they would get for my account is that I watched 2 English games and 1 Scottish game. But I wouldn't have subscribed without them showing that 1 SPL game, and as such wouldn't have watched the two English games. But they dont show very many SPL games. So the data doesn't always tell the whole story (IMO). 

14 minutes ago, Malangsob said:

But then there are places like Norway 5.5Mpop (£63M)...who have almost no European footprint...Belgium is another...twice Scotchland's pop but three times the deal...Greece 10.2Mpop (£57M).

Bodo/Glimt humped the hooped horrors last season. 

For me, Bodo/Glimt, Rosenborg, Brann, Viking, Valerenga, Molde, Stromsgodset, Lillestrom beat Scottish sides easily (outwith the Old Firm). 

5 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

"No Centralised TV Deal until 2027/28 - Clubs sell own rights."

Yup - interesting. Right? And look at the value of the deal (wiki can be inaccurate i concede). A country with a population of 10 million. Has a TV deal worth a reported 180 Million Euro. Incredible. Even if it was only half of that.

2 hours ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Yup - interesting. Right? And look at the value of the deal (wiki can be inaccurate i concede). A country with a population of 10 million. Has a TV deal worth a reported 180 Million Euro. Incredible. Even if it was only half of that.

Yes, but you're talking about Porto, Benfica, Sporting, Braga etc. They're good sides; quality football. 

I didn't include Portugal in my list because I thought they were on a different level.

Don't La Liga clubs negotiate their own deals too? 

I reckon we'd get more money doing that, but that would damage the rest of the league. 

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

Yes, but you're talking about Porto, Benfica, Sporting, Braga etc. They're good sides. 

Don't La Liga clubs negotiate their own deals too? 

Rangers are a good side. The first 3 are big clubs but Braga are not. Average attendance is around 12k after a quick google. 

Yes, Portugal is a bigger country. Yes it has 3 'big' clubs instead of 2. But look at the disparity between our deal and what they reportedly receive. Its absolutely massive.

I'm not sure how La Liga does it, although they seem to have a centralised 'La Liga TV' channel that they package up and sell to the US/Middle East. Comes with complete pre match/post match/highlights etc.

7 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Bodo/Glimt humped the hooped horrors last season. 

For me, Bodo/Glimt, Rosenborg, Brann, Viking, Valerenga, Molde, Stromsgodset, Lillestrom beat Scottish sides easily (outwith the Old Firm). 

True but, let's be honest here.

Scotland's sides are designed to hold the OF, and get a point. 

Their tactics, personnel, mindset...everything is to hold us, and fight for the scraps amongst the rabble.

That simply does not translate well outside of Scotland.

Having stated that, excluding the OF, I think all other Scottish sides would struggle in literally, ANY other continental league.

I will go so far to say they would struggle in the Irish, and Welsh leagues as well. 

We shall see what Hearts can do...probably not much.

We KNOW the scum will shit the bed again. 

When you think about the size of the OF audience worldwide, the OF value to SKY should be well above the likes of Norway.

I'd like to know what our income is from RTV, which is now reaching an ever growing audience that, presumably, would otherwise have been using Sky or BT. Are we making the most of RTV and is there more we could be doing to leverage customers away from SKY while increasing our media rights earnings?

2 hours ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Like i say its complex. But, for example i subscribed to Now TV for Sky sports last year. Only for watching Rangers. But while i had the subscription i watched the odd EPL game. On a Sunday afternoon I would watch Rangers, then I would have an EPL game on after while i do something around the house. The put on Monday night EPL/EFL game to kill some time will I am on my exercise bike. 

The data they would get for my account is that I watched 2 English games and 1 Scottish game. But I wouldn't have subscribed without them showing that 1 SPL game, and as such wouldn't have watched the two English games. But they dont show very many SPL games. So the data doesn't always tell the whole story (IMO). 

Of course you'll get the football fanatics who watch any and every game going that will muddy the waters, as well as the NOW tv example you cite... but I reckon there will be a large chunk of subscribers where its fairly easy to guess their allegiance when it comes to OF fans given the number of games that get shown for each team. 

28 minutes ago, Bill said:

When you think about the size of the OF audience worldwide, the OF value to SKY should be well above the likes of Norway.

I'd like to know what our income is from RTV, which is now reaching an ever growing audience that, presumably, would otherwise have been using Sky or BT. Are we making the most of RTV and is there more we could be doing to leverage customers away from SKY while increasing our media rights earnings?

Ratings are pretty good when the OF play each other I would imagine (no data).

However, the salability of the other matches would be to a very niche market.

Who outside of Scotland watches Ranger-Ross County? St Mirren?

Cup matches against Stranraer?

Rangers junkies like me, Scots, and Scot ex-pats.

The marketability of these matches reflect the size of the deals.