[FT] Rangers 4 (Tillman 32'; Colak 62'; Arfield 80'; Lawrence 83') - 0 St Johnstone

52 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

I’ve lost the place with the offside law but the old rule was that you were onside if you were behind the ball when the ball was played.

The player also needs to be behind the player passing the ball, which is usually the case, but wasnt on Saturday

2 minutes ago, craig said:

Exactly right.  We often think "the ball went backwards so he isnt offside" but what makes the player onside is a) the backwards pass AND b) the fact he is behind the player

The one on Saturday was offside because even though the ball was played backwards, Colak came from an offside position to collect it, makes him offside.

The block doesnt change that I don't think.  As soon as Matondo gets a touch on it, Colak is offside.

That is my understanding as well. 

Okay he came back from where he was and I know two or more wrongs don't make a right but the main stand linesman got more than one off-side decisions wrong and was a total nightmare(as much as the referee was too).

I'm going to disagree.

When the pass is made to Rabbi colak is onside.

The pass never makes it to him instead being controlled by the ST J player who then runs into his own box.

When he tries to clear Rabbi blocks and the ball continues going slightly backwards, never going forward.

Colak steps back controls the ball turns and hammers into the net.

Result onside = goal.

1 hour ago, onevision said:

I'm going to disagree.

The pass never makes it to him instead being controlled by the ST J player who then runs into his own box.

When he tries to clear Rabbi blocks and the ball continues going slightly backwards, never going forward.

Result onside = goal.

At first yes but it is last played by a rangers player when it comes off Rabbi. He is offside at that point. 

The rule should be changed imo. The offside rule is all about unfair advantage and if the ball is played backwards you are at a disadvantage if you are closer to the goal than everyone else. 

21 hours ago, onevision said:

I'm going to disagree.

Result onside = goal.

Direction of ball is irrelevant in this instance.  Matondo got a touch on the ball and Colak came from an offside position to collect it.  He is offside.

The direction of travel of the ball is not relevant. The position of the player when the ball is played is what matters. Colak is ahead of the ball and steps back. Well done for alertness. What I can’t discern from the highlights is whether his step is completed at the time the ball comes back off Matondo. 

Anybody with a fancy big telly enlighten me?