[FT] Rangers 2 (Colak 40; Lawrence 70) - 2 PSV Eindhoven

16 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

de Jong would be a good striker for us. Excellent in the air. Would be great attcking crosses v the park the bus mob. We need to watch him closely. Especially at set pieces.

Agree with this, he'd be Excellent for us, big target man, old fashioned centre forward. that one thing that worries me about PSV, the variety of player styles they have in their front line. 

• Frankie changed the title to PSV breakdown
23 minutes ago, Malangsob said:

I heard that GVB is going to start James Sands at CB?

Please tell me this is a BS rumor?

Wouldn't surprise me if Gio prefers the partnership used most often so far this season.  Davies may well start but I think he may be considered still short of where he wants to be in the Euro fitness/sharpness sense.

2 hours ago, BlueMonday said:

Hello all!

just wanted to give a little run down on PSV for those interested. I've followed PSV for a while now and have been over to see them a few times, so have a bit of an idea of what to expect. 

As you probably know their Gaffer is one time ManU front man Ruud van Nistelrooy who has got the Eindhoven team playing fairly free flowing football with a focus on attack, they are yet to keep a clean sheet under RVN in a competitive game, but they have no problems finding the net either. 

Players that I think will stand out for them are Sangare, Simons (if starts), Gakpo and De Jong.

Sangare -is a ball winning midfielder that often acts as an anchor man, likes to get forward too and looks very strong on the ball.

Simons - Joined pre-season on a free transfer from PSG, turned out 11 times for the Parisian side and failed to really make an impression, which is understandable given some of the players in their squad, however he's come in at PSV and has netted 3 goals in 4 games, tagged as a bit of a wonderkid when PSG picked him up, could still be classed as such at just 19, intelligent player, typically Dutch in style in as much as he's good on and off the ball. however not the most physical. Joint leading goal scorer for them this season, highest match ratings on average so far this season also. 

Gakpo - linked with a few premier league teams this window, PSV's star man a product of the famed PSV academy, he is an excellent player technically and loves to get in behind the back line. always looked stand out when watching live, although I will say he does have a tendency to blow hot and cold, he rarely has a bad game but does have period where he fails to produce any 'Magic'

de Jong- Luuk de Jong may be a familiar name to some of you from his time at Barcelona and Sevilla, an experienced forward, now 31, has only ever really been prolific when at PSV, scoring 112 in 204 in his first spell with the club between 2014-2019. Fairly average when in Spain, and has returned with a bit of a point to prove it feels. if at the races a definite threat. 

all in all I think we have a chance tonight to get something from the game, PSV are a decent side with a spread of experience and youth across the XI. on paper they probably have a slight advantage, however as mentioned some of their key players are prone to shrinking away in bigger games, lets get Ibrox rocking and make it as difficult as possible for them. 

Thanks for that and welcome to the forum - have merged with the match preview thread... :)