[FT] Rangers 2 (Colak 40; Lawrence 70) - 2 PSV Eindhoven

56 minutes ago, Frankie said:

It's arguably the most realistic and financially best outcome but we should be aiming to go deep into the CL in a sporting sense.

I doubt it’s financially better. £9.2m reward purely for reaching the last 16 of the CL. To do that you need to pick up more points obviously and a win is 3m euros and a draw 1m so you are at least 12-13m euros better off by finishing 2nd. You can then charge higher ticket prices in the last 16 and that round is bound to be worth quite a bit in terms of tv too. I’m not sure that could be matched without winning the EL. At the very least, you have that 10-12 million guarantee where in the EL you don’t know how far you can go. Last 16 will continue to be a big hurdle for us. 

The 10 year co-efficient was brought in to ensure the usual suspects trousered a higher percentage of the pie. 

Despite a relatively wonderful 5 year number, the 10 year version will continue to limit our earnings from European football for the medium term.

48 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I doubt it’s financially better. £9.2m reward purely for reaching the last 16 of the CL. To do that you need to pick up more points obviously and a win is 3m euros and a draw 1m so you are at least 12-13m euros better off by finishing 2nd. You can then charge higher ticket prices in the last 16 and that round is bound to be worth quite a bit in terms of tv too. I’m not sure that could be matched without winning the EL. At the very least, you have that 10-12 million guarantee where in the EL you don’t know how far you can go. Last 16 will continue to be a big hurdle for us. 

True, but we'd have to get really lucky in the draw for the groups, not to mention getting past PSV.

Porto, Leipzig and Shakhtar is about best we could get for advancing.

Real Madrid, Liverpool and Inter Milan would be a little more complicated.

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/seedcl2022.html

2 minutes ago, buster. said:

True, but we'd have to get really lucky in the draw for the groups, not to mention getting past PSV.

Porto, Leipzig and Shakhtar is about best we could get for advancing.

Real Madrid, Liverpool and Inter Milan would be a little more complicated.

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/seedcl2022.html

In all honesty, I'd be delighted if we had 6 games against the likes of Real Madrid, Liverpool and Inter then focused on the domestic trophies this year if we didn't qualify. 

2 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

In all honesty, I'd be delighted if we had 6 games against the likes of Real Madrid, Liverpool and Inter then focused on the domestic trophies this year if we didn't qualify. 

I don't care who we get, it's all about being in the draw for us.

20 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

I get that, but we should always have a positive objective, even if its very challenging and potentially unlikely given disparity of resources.  Rangers should never go into something to make up the numbers.  

40 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

If I am reading this right, it could be more important for us that Kiev put Benfica out (unlikely).

In the hypothesis that we qualify, Benfica going out would I think, put us in pot 3 and thus our group would contain a lesser ranked club.

A win = €2.8m

Although for us and Kiev to qualify, the bookies would payout 1537 for a 100 stake.

Rangers 11/8

Kiev 11/2