Memories of Eindhoven November 1978

Was still at school but can remember the enormous pride I took from the results against Juventus and PSV in 1977.

I listened to David Francey commentate on an early ko in Turin. It finished 1-0 to the Italians @26thfoot and given their fame for shutting up shop, it made the 2-0 win at Ibrox one of our great results.

Bayern Munich 72 or Juventus 77 ??

It was the first decent result in Europe since 1972.

A 0-0 draw had me expecting the worst in Eindhoven. So it was real celebration time on hearing the final result.

A draw would probably suit PSV tonight. Obviously we'll very much look for the win but a draw  wouldn't be the end of the world for us either.

Ps. Vicars, Tarts and Paras ...sounds about right 😀

• Frankie changed the title to Memories of Eindhoven November 1978
On 16/08/2022 at 08:53, Yorkie Bear said:

A great read as ever. 

The little snippets dropped in are fantastic -  "I traveled with Hamish, an Old Etonian whose family owned most of Caithness. He knew nothing of football but enjoyed adventure and cheese."

I have had a few folks ask about Hamish?

He was commissioned into the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, served for several years, contracted a tapeworm in Oman, met a girl and they sailed the Atlantic in a 30 foot sailing yacht.

The last I heard some 25 years past, he was living and working in New Zealand as a Deer Farmer. It all fits because in culinary circles there is bit of hype about kiwi Deer Milk Cheese.