Well, Well, Well�..

So we had to endure another stuttering away SPL performance at the weekend against Motherwell. We didn�t really start the game at all and only lifted our performance when we went a goal down. I know it is easy to say, but it was a terrible goal to lose. We had a few opportunities to clear the danger, but Thompson dithered and Weir missed his tackle and we were suddenly a goal down. We did respond well to the set back by hitting the bar and having a header scrambled clear. The introduction of JCD ensured that we started the 2nd half at breakneck speed but unfortunately, JCD had leave the field after only 8 minutes due to an injury. Beasley was then introduced and he became our hero by getting a penalty after some brilliantly wing play. Boyd dispatched the penalty with aplomb, but it is worth noting that he missed two guilt-edged chances in the 2nd half.

All in all it was a pretty poor performance from Rangers and IMO, and as I said in my rant of last week, we really need to decide on our ââ?¬Ë?strongest 11ââ?¬â?¢ and give them a sustained run of games. This ââ?¬Ë?chopping and changingââ?¬â?¢ isnââ?¬â?¢t doing us any favours and the quicker we get to playing a settled 11 the better. Another slight concern is the fact that in the majority of games this season, we have been slow to start games and improve significantly in the 2nd half. Maybe this is something that the coaching staff and look at and rectify.

Bring On The Spaniards By The Score�..

Well, if we were in dreamland after the Stuttgart victory, we are in heaven after the destruction of Lyon in their own backyard. Last nights demolition of the French Champions was nothing short of outstanding and will have football fans, commentators, players and managers from all over Europe taking notice of ââ?¬Ë?The Rangersââ?¬â?¢. That team performance has to go down as one of the best in recent history, if not of all time. I am not just talking about Rangers European performances, I am talking about Scottish team performances. Let no-one take anything away from us. Lyon are a genuine force in Europe, they have fantastic players, they have won the French title in the last 6 consecutive seasons and we dismantled them in their ââ?¬Ë?Lyons Denââ?¬â?¢. Isnââ?¬â?¢t it ironic that their home is entitled ââ?¬Ë?Gerlandââ?¬â?¢Ã¢â?¬Â¦Ã¢â?¬Â¦

Our detractors tried to deflate us after our opening CL victory by claiming that Stuttgart were a ââ?¬Ë?pub teamââ?¬â?¢. I wonder how long it will take for Lyon to suffer such a relegation? Letââ?¬â?¢s remind ourselves that the self-same detractors were chuckling at our draw in the ââ?¬Ë?Group Of Deathââ?¬â?¢ and were claiming that weââ?¬â?¢d be lucky to get a single point. As we sing ââ?¬Ë?Champions League? Weââ?¬â?¢re having a laughââ?¬â?¢ (and a ball it is safe to say).

We had to endure an initial onslaught from Lyon, but after we settled, the players stood shoulder to shoulder against the waves of attacks and started to impose themselves in key areas. Fergie, Hendami and Thommo were a brilliant shield in front of the defence and Beasley and McCulloch showed impressive stamina to help their full-backs and support Cousin who was superb as the lone striker. This may sound cruel, but watching Cousin (and JCD previously) shows why WS had to buy strikers. None of our other strikers could play this role as well. They all have other qualities, but Cousin showed exactly how you play this role. You work you ass of in the understanding that you will get kicked all over the pitch, run yourself empty and may only get one chance. When that chance presents itself, and at this level, you MUST put the ball in the back of the net ââ?¬â?? that is exactly what Cousin did and he set up RUN DMB for the killer 3rd goal.

I cannot go on without mentioning the fantastic Rangers support. The Lyon fans were impressive but all through the game, the travelling Bears came through loud and clear and I was certainly proud of their efforts. The ââ?¬Ë?Come On Over To My Placeââ?¬â?¢ and ââ?¬Ë?Are You Watching PLGââ?¬â?¢ raised a wee chuckle at ââ?¬Ë?Chez Cammyââ?¬â?¢.

So next in our sights are the mighty Barca ââ?¬â?? we welcome them to Ibrox with absolutely nothing to fear. We arenââ?¬â?¢t expected to take anything from them over two games, so hopefully the players will go into these games and play with a freedom that allows them to express themselves and after last night, you just never knowââ?¬Â¦.

One last word on WS favoured 4-1-4-1 (or 4-5-1) formation ââ?¬â?? I wonder if the fan who was sat behind me at the Red Star game is still chanting ââ?¬Ë?4-5-1 is unaccptableââ?¬â?¢Ã¢â?¬Â¦

Time To Get Selfish?

Am I the only one getting a bit tired of the ââ?¬Ë?great for Scottish footballââ?¬â?¢ comments that have followed our 2 astonishing (brilliant!) CL victories? The reason I say this is that if you were to conduct a straw poll of ââ?¬Ë?Scottish Football fansââ?¬â?¢, Iââ?¬â?¢m betting that the majority would be wishing that we got ââ?¬Ë?Donald Duckedââ?¬â?¢ in the CL. Now, I am not complaining about that attitude, it is their choice. I am simply saying that, like them, I only really care about my team and I am happy in the knowledge that our victories have been great for ââ?¬Ë?The Rangersââ?¬â?¢.

Our latest victories have seen us add to our (as well as ââ?¬Ë?Scotlandââ?¬â?¢sââ?¬â?¢) co-efficient and has earned us a few more ââ?¬Ë?bobââ?¬â?¢ in the process. It is also safe to say that it has seen our profile rise in footballing circles. We currently sit joint top of the ââ?¬Ë?group of deathââ?¬â?¢ with 6 points from 2 games having defeated the German and French Champions.

It�s Worth Reminding Ourselves

I will not tire in reminding ourselves that our current charges are a ââ?¬Ë?new teamââ?¬â?¢ who have been thrown together during pre-season so there will be grey skies as well as blue this season. Please remember this when having a say on formations, players ability (or perceived lack off), results and performances. I think it is fair to say that compared to last season, we have a better squad, a better chance of winning trophies and one thing that is most evident this season, is that we appear to have rekindled the famous ââ?¬Ë?Team Spiritââ?¬â?¢. WS has gotten a decent mix of youth and experience and of home grown talent and ââ?¬Ë?foreign importsââ?¬â?¢. What all the new additions seem to have though is a determination for the team and club to do well and they put this above ââ?¬Ë?personal gainââ?¬â?¢.

It is also worth remembering that we have some very young and raw talent and given that, they are going to make mistakes. Christ, the most seasoned of pros make mistakes. So lets get of players backs and get behind ever one of them ââ?¬â?? we just might be on the verge of something special here people.

Cammy F ââ?¬â?? We Are The Peopleââ?¬Â¦.