RANGERS' fringe stars enhanced their chances of forcing their way into Walter Smith's top team plans when they defeated Newcastle United today 3-1 at St James's Park.

Many of the lads who have been on the outside in recent weeks really put in good performances in the match which was played behind closed doors.

Chris Burke and Steven Whittaker Young striker Rory Loy, Chris Burke and Alan Gow got the goals in a comfortable win for the Ibrox men against a strong Magpies side which included Joey Barton.

Centre back Ugo Ehiogu was outstanding in defence for Rangers and he clearly wanted to show that he is bursting to get back into the real thing.

Coach Ian Durrant said: "It was a good workout for the boys in many ways and we had a lot of good performances.

"Big Ugo was exceptional at the back, but we also had really good performances from Alan Gow, Chris Burke and Charlie Adam which is obviously good news too.

"We were obviously happy to win the game against a strong Newcastle side but it was more important to keep the lads ticking over."

I don't see Buffel's name mentioned is he away with Belgium,or was he playing?

I think Buffel made the trip down there, and he hasnt been picked for Belgium for a wee while now. DOnt imagine he would go straight into internationals after this nasty injury. Also nearly every time he plays for Belgium he gets injured

Good performance by the lads which gives Walter more options

BELGIAN star Thomas Buffel is hoping he can force his way back into Walter Smith's top team plans as Rangers enter a massive period in their season.

Buffel was on good form again yesterday in a 3-1 victory over Newcastle United in a closed door game at St James's Park and would love to get back into the big time with the Old Firm game coming up and, of course, the massive Champions League meeting with Barcelona on October 23.

The former Feyenoord man has had a few reserve outings now having fully recovered from knee suregery last season and also came on in the CIS Cup win over East Fife so he believes he can now make an impact.

Buffel has been confrimed as the scorer of the second goal in yesterday's bounce game win over the Magpies despite some confusion that Chris Burke got the touch.

And he feels his versatility can be useful to Walter Smith as the manager plots a successful course in the coming weeks.

He said: "I know I needed a couple of games to get back to my levels of performance but I'm confident I am reaching those levels now.

"I would be happy to play anywhere but the Number 10 role (behind the strikers) is probably my best position.

"It's good that I can play in several positions and hopefully the manager can use me in different systems and formations.

"Everybody knows what their own abilities are so it is then a matter of trying to see how that can best help the team.

"The team has done well so far and they have had some great results so at the end of the day that's the most important thing."

Coincidentally, Buffel's last outing at Ibrox was in the 1-1 Old Firm draw back in December last year and he has pronounced himself ready for next week's derby.

He added: "I've had so many good memories at Ibrox over the years and it would be fantastic if I could add to that this season.

"I would love to play at some part next week as I've not played at home for so long but as always it's down to the manager's decision.

"If he needs me then I am ready."

Seems he is ready, id throw him in asap.

I have to wonder where Buffel or Gow would fit in given Smith's current favoured formations and more importantly personnel.

Yeah i know this is interesting.

I have screamed for Buffel to play in behind the strikers and Gow in to be given the chance in that role but it would mean playing a diamond formation and dropping 2 of Ferguson, Hemdani and Thomson with the remaining player to play the holding role. I just cant see Smith playing that.

So Id maybe give Buffel and Gow free wider roles and have Hemdani and Ferguson in the centre. Hemdani will sit and mop up while Ferguson plays more box to box.

It would be set out a little like this:

_____________McGregor____________

Hutton____Weir_______Cuellar____Papac

________Ferguson___Hemdani_______

__Buffel_____________________Gow__

__________Cousin___Darcheville______

Attack wise it looks good, Buffel and Gow could come infield and swap sides as they please, plus Ferguson will be getting forward.

Of course, you could also drop one of the strikers and put Thomson in next to Hemdani and push Ferguson forward but I dont think we would need that for SPL matches - If we are at home to the Falkirks and St Mirrens then SURELY the above is enough.