More Than A Club

If ever a statement summed up the way we all feel about The Rangers it is ‘more than a club’ and I have to say, last nights game against Barcelona was the pinnacle for this Bear in my 25+ of ‘follow following’ the great institution that is Rangers Football Club. It is funny to think that it may actually be bettered when I visit Barcelona for the ‘return game’ next month.

The anticipation that I felt in the lead up to the Barcelona game has only ever been matched by the buzz I felt prior to entertaining Kiev in the late 80’s, Leeds (home and away) in 92/93 and possibly the build up to the ‘Celtc Shame Game’ when we dismantled them in their own midden and won the league in the process. To say for the last week that I have mirrored a kid in a candy store is the biggest understatement of the year! And I have to say that occasion didn’t disappoint. From the wonderful card display pre-match (well, do we do anything other than wonderful displays?) to the 92 minutes and the aftermath, this was an occasion that in years to come, we will all fondly recall that ‘we were there’ (those of us lucky enough to get tickets, and I dare say some of us that weren’t lucky enough! In 20 years time, over 100,000 will claim to have been there!!!!).

Barcelona, like ourselves, rightly proud themselves as being more than a club (Club motto is “El Barca es mes que un club”) – they are a political focal point to the Catalans and like ourselves, they were founded purely out of the love of the game (by a couple of Englishmen and a Swiss gentleman who actually changed his to name to the Catalonian version!). Their club also became a focal point of the anti-Franco movement in Spain and that is why we are held in great esteem in this famous of footballing cities and clubs. As Carlos Puyol stated when the draw was made, we are still remembered by the locals for giving Franco’s fascist Police a chasing and will be the recipients of a warm welcome when we visit in November. This flies in the face of the lies and innuendo that the ‘unbiased’ Scottish media and the MOPES will have peddled since we achieved our Cup Winners Cup success at the ‘camp nou’. They will tell you that we raped, pillaged, ransacked Chapels where the reality couldn’t be further from their lies. In fact, we were invited back to Barcelona the following season to participate in Barca’s anniversary celebrations.

Anyway, back to last night and the game itself went past as a ‘blur’ for this Bear, but I did witness enough to see that our team put in one hell of a shift and everyone of us should be proud of everyone one of them! I also couldn’t help but notice that Barca were a class act, probably one of the best teams I have seen at Ibrox (along with Juventus and Valencia) and that their players also had a ‘touch of class about them’. I don’t just mean footballing ability wise, but noticed that when Henry was substituted, he made an effort to pass BF and wrapped an arm around our captain and encourage him to keep going and to rally the troops. This gesture was then copied by Puyol – two examples of sportsmanship.

The result puts us in a fantastic position in the group and it looks like our last game against Lyon could decide our fate. However, before getting that far ahead of ourselves, it is worth remembering that that is 9 consecutive CL games without defeat and in 7 European games this season, we have conceded just 1 solitary goal. As Walter Smith said in his interview, a year ago we were defeated in the League Cup at home by St Johnstone and 9 months ago, we were knocked out of the Scottish Cup by Dunfermline (that is taking nothing away from them, or any disrespect to those two clubs – both deserved their victories). Here we are 12 months later, battling out a 0-0 draw with arguably the best team in the world.

This may sound utterly mental, and as I can’t believe that I am typing it, but was I the only one who thought that we were going to sneak it in the last 10 minutes? I just had this gut feeling that something magically was going to happen, a lose ball was going to fall our way and be tucked into the net. The only other example of this I can readily recall was the Porto away game where they dominated possession, scored and we then equalized – it was that sort of a feeling, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, it didn’t detract for a wonderful game, and amazing experience and an evening that once again, reinstated the fact that we are ‘more than a club’.

The Aftermath

In saying all of the above and heaping praise on the players (and lets not forget the manager and his staff) the victory over Celtc and last nights escapades will count for nothing if we do not take maximum points form Dundee United at the weekend. We must find a level of consistency on the SPL and show that we are capable of mounting a sustained challenge and show no adverse reactions from CL exertions.

Given the nature of last nights game and the effort (mental as well as physical) put in by the players, I can envisage WS making some changes to the starting 11. Those brought in MUST deliver and show a hunger and desire to push us forward on the domestic front. They must use this as an opportunity to be involved in the next big European night.

So, the pressure is on, they must perform and we mustn’t allow this utterly fantastic week to end on s sour note.

Arthur Boric

I know I shouldn’t give this cretin ‘column inches’ but the latest outburst from the ‘Holy Goalie’ can not be left unchallenged – although I fully expect the club to ignore the ‘neds’ comments even though they bring the game into disrepute and our players character into question.

The ‘Holy Goalie’ claims that he was justified in ignoring our players offer of a sporting handshake as he ‘dislikes them and our club’. Now, that part of his statement is fair enough, but he then goes on to insinuate that unspecified Rangers players ‘spat on him’.

Come on Arthur, with the amount of press coverage the OF generates and with the majority of the press in Scotland being ‘pro-Celtc’, I sure that if one of our players had spat on (or at) you, this would have been noticed and reported. I am also sure that one (or more) of the MOPES who trawl TV, You Tube, paper etc evidence to be offended at, it would not have gone unnoticed.

It is now up to Rangers (as well as the SFA and SPL) to bring the Holy Goalie to task over these allegations. He must be made to identify the supposed culprit or be ‘outed’ as the liar that he undoubtedly is.

Cammy F – We Are The People….

"This may sound utterly mental, and as I can�t believe that I am typing it, but was I the only one who thought that we were going to sneak it in the last 10 minutes?"

Certainly not old bean. If wee Nacho had flung himself at the cross he would probably have got something on it. And Big Daniel should have burst the onion bag. But I was happy with a draw before the game, and I am happy with one after.

Yeah I was another shouting at the top of my voice from my sofa at 4:30am thinking we could nick it.

When the ball left Cousin's foot twice (the cross Novo didnt get and his shot) I thought both were in especially the swinging cross.

Spot on article and agreed.

On the aftermath: this is too true - we must go up to Tannadice and not produce a performance like Hearts, Motherwell and Hibs. I also think it will be asking too much to play this same XI for a 3rd game in a row - but you never know - they guys deserve to play!!