Not like me to post an overly negative thread but yesterday (and in other matches) our set-pieces were absolutely dreadful.

Barry Ferguson and DaMarcus Beasley seem to be the worst culprits since they take most of the corners but even our throw-ins in offensive areas lack any sort of imagination.

No team can expect such set-plays to be perfect or yield goals/chances every time we have one. However, yesterday and against Dundee Utd in recent weeks, we seem incapable of getting the ball past the front post. Front post corners are all well and good (see Lyon) but more often than not we don't even have a man there to aim for.

The reason I'm posting about this is because this month we have a lot of away games including two especially tough CL encounters in Spain and Germany. This means we will have to maximise our chances of scoring and scoring via set-pieces is one good way of doing just that.

Currently that looks very doubtful. Let's hope we can get back to the quality of corner we seen against Lyon and on a couple of other occasions earlier this season. When you think of the tall players we have in the team (Hutton, Cuellar, Papac, Weir, McCulloch and Cousin) there really is no excuse for poor delivery or minimal imagination at corners, free-kicks and throw-ins.

We definitely have a good aerial threat now which makes it even more disappointing to see us wasting so many set pieces. We've struggled to get a decent corner-taker for years now, another one of those glaring problems which makes me wonder how the management can't see it.

Funnily enough, the last time I remember us taking decent set-pieces was when Bob Malcolm was in the team. I distinctly remember he came in for a while under McLeish to play the holding midfield role and as part of that started to take set pieces and finally we had someone able to deliver a decent dead ball.

Surely we have someone who can take a half-decent corner kick in our squad?

think beadsley just had an off day to be honest but ferguson hasnt had a result from a set piece since he scored in the scottish cup final against septic. his set pieces are rank rotten.

Beasleys corner kicks against Dundee Utd last week were shocking. How a professional footballer can't clear the first man is shocking.

Beasleys corner kicks against Dundee Utd last week were shocking. How a professional footballer can't clear the first man is shocking.

played in a great ball for the first goal against lyon though.

rather than single out individuals i reckon its a tactic thats been poorly used at our club for a number of years. adam seems to be he only one who can take a decent free kick but even he is pretty inconsistent. I even recall Albertz saying he ddnt practise free kicks! That was a real shocker.

I think Charlie Adam is the one who practices the most. He admits to staying back at the end of training to practice.

And given that they only train for half a shift they should ALL be staying back IMO to work on their game.

eg, those taking set pieces should be practicing set pieces, and mixing them up. Those expected to be challenging for corners should be practicing making the proper runs at the proper time, they should be practicing some imaginative set pieces too.

With our aerial threat we should be making better use of it with better balls into the danger areas, this can be worked on after training and with little effort - good for Charlie Adam to want to stay behind !