Humiliated, Annihilated and Embarrassed?

Spent a fair bit of time on the major Rangers forums since last night�s defeat in Spain and I think it�s fair to say some of the reaction has been somewhat surprising. The adjectives in the article title are just three examples of the negativity I�ve experienced.

Let�s be frank though. Last night we were outclassed by one of the best club teams in the world. They had over 60% of ball possession and probably a lot more territorial advantage. As a result, they scored two fine goals and could easily have had another two as well but for poor finishing and a couple of decent saves from the ever-reliable Allan McGregor.

Once again, as discussed on Gersnet on Monday, Walter Smith set his team out in his favoured 4-5-1 parent formation ââ?¬â?? this time, as in Lyon, opting for the 4-1-4-1 variation. Indeed it was this very system that was such a success in France on match-day two. That night Lyon also dominated possession and territory for long periods but the main difference was that evening we took our chances when we did create them.

We also managed to defend better and had more success on the ball than we did last night. We managed to avoid losing an early goal and with all due respect to Lyon, their attacking players and their defence are nowhere near the quality of Barca. In saying that, if we hadn�t snatched the lead and if that Juninho free-kick had went in, it may well have been a massively different conclusion. That was one match where our system worked well, where we used the ball well, supported the lone striker effectively and got the breaks to ensure a fine victory.

Last night was different. In many ways we still defended reasonably well and we were actually decent on the ball (until the last third anyway). Unfortunately, unlike in France, we struggled to support Daniel Cousin and possibly didn�t get the breaks we did in other games. Losing the first goal so early didn�t really change our game-plan but it certainly helped the home team (and support) settle. The fact the goal was scored by Henry�s hand is irrelevant really but it is one example of misfortune. It also came from Sasa Papac being drawn inside leaving an abundance of space for Messi�s fantastic header - the kind of defensive lack of concentration that didn�t really happen (or wasn�t punished) in France.

Some fans felt at this point we should have changed tactics and attacked more. They may well be right and for a spell we actually did do that. We won a couple of corners and had some good periods in possession. However, we couldnââ?¬â?¢t manage to capitalise ââ?¬â?? Beasley heading wide when he could have utilised the unmarked Cousin and one dangerous Adam corner kick almost controlled and hit by one of our defenders.

Then of course, we lost the second goal. This was a well worked goal where we quite simply couldn�t cope with the pace of the one-two. Again though, McGregor saved well and it could be argued that Barca were fortunate that the ball landed perfectly for Messi.

Thus, in the second half we did have to change things whilst maintaining a necessary amount of caution. Would it have mattered if we were beaten 6-2 instead of 2-0? Probably not but while we could have opted for a ââ?¬Ë?gung-hoââ?¬â?¢ approach Barca had already shown they could compete physically and defend well in the face of our attack. Even when we did bring on the pacy, direct styles of Novo and Darcheville we still struggled to give genuine support due to our midfield tiring.

All in all we were soundly beaten and while some people are perhaps going too far in their pride of not being over-run score-wise, I think over the two games, we�ve given a reasonable account of ourselves.

Were we too defensive? Last night I would probably agree that we were. It might have been interesting to have really taken the game to Barca once we conceded the second goal but other than that, as the system showed in Lyon, keeping it tight and looking for positives on the counter was the best approach generally.

To conclude, while I can empathise with some people�s negative reaction, I think it�s an exaggeration to suggest we were somehow humiliated or embarrassed simply because of our defensive outlook. Quite simply, we were beaten by a better team and our limitations would have been shown-up no matter if we attacked more or put 11 men across our goal-line.

As such, rather than dwell on the negatives and question past strategy, we need to peruse our CL Group, where upon we�ll see that we�ve secured third position (a fine feat in itself) and appreciate that our displays and performances so far have ensured we�re in a great position to do what most of us thought was unlikely when the draw was made.

Indeed, with the pressure off in terms of not finishing bottom or genuinely embarrassing ourselves in Spain, now we can look to open-up and perhaps employ a more aggressive system firstly away in Stuttgart then at home against Lyon. Hopefully in these games we can express ourselves in attack and give our magnificent fans (outstanding in their numbers and behaviour in Spain) even more to cheer about.

It�s been a decent start to the season and if one looks back to a year today where we were actually embarrassed and humiliated in a CIS Cup defeat at Ibrox, one may actually be slightly more realistic in their criticism.

We are the people!

Hear, hear. Great anylisis.

How many of us have played in a Sunday League game against the top of the league or a higher division team in a cup game and just been completely out-played?

In my experience on these occasions you can easily lose to the likes of a 6-0 scoreline.

I think we could have played Barca on this form a hundred times with a permutation of personnel and tactics and probably lost at least 99 of them. However, how many would be restricted to a 2-0 scoreline with a touch of fortune for each goal?

The first goal had nothing to do with tactics and may have been prevented but for a lack of concentration by one of our players. We gifted that one and the referee tied the bow.

The rebound for the second one could have gone anywhere but as Frankie, says, it went straight to one of the best players in the world.

Of course Barca looked like they deserved winners by virtue of their possession territory and sheer number of attacks. But when you think about it, they didn't have many clear goal scoring opportunities.

We pretty much did nothing ourselves in the last third but that seems to me to be a result of a bunch of the best players in the world playing well against a good but lesser team who were playing quite well but not quite at their best.

Yeah Spot on with that analysis Frankie. I thought it was a decent performance from ourselves. We lost the dreaded early goal, bu I felt we steadied the ship after that and I think every Rangers fan in the country was thinking 'if we could only get to half time' 1-0 down. Unfortunately we couldn't do that. Barca are a class or two above us and this experience for our players will stand then some good in our future Euro campaigns. There's a lot better teams than us been to the Nou Camp and got a right going over. Our destiny is also still in our own hands. Two wins(maybe even 1 win) and we're through the group of death. At the start of the section if someone had said you'll have 7 points at the end of 4 games we would have snapped there hand off

I find it hard to comprehend how, in the current footballing climate, anyone can have that much disappointment that Rangers lost 2-0 to Barcelona at Camp Nou - and to only one legit goal at that.

I hope these people are as exacting of their own daily performance at work and play.

Losing 2 goals over 2 games to Barca is a very good stat indeed considering where we were a year ago.

Look at it like this..... beat Lyon and we're through. The next game isnt as important, although it would be ideal if we beat Stuttgart and Barca beat Lyon to steady the nerves going into the last game.

The ball is very much in our court, we couldnt have got it better than having the final game at Ibrox. The fans and hopefully the players will be well up for it.

Agree with above and the words in the title are way out of proportion. At worst we were a bit naive or negative (but maybe rightly so due to the opposition) or maybe showed a bit too much respect.

Anyone who thinks we were humiliated and embarrassed isnt thinking rightly.

I do think we could have switched a 4-4-2 earlier in the 2nd half but I dont think it would have changed the outcome of the game.

Humiliation is what Sparta Prague and Besiktas got at Emirates and Anfield respectivley and what Roma suffered at Old Trafford last season.