RANGERS have asked the SPL for permission to postpone next Sunday's league meeting with Gretna at Fir Park in order to give Walter Smith's squad more time to prepare for the Champions League showdown with Lyon.

The Light Blues' recent trip to St Mirren was cancelled, as was Celtic's home game with Falkirk, so that Scotland's Old Firm players would not pick up injuries before the Euro 2008 qualifier with Italy.

Although asking for the clash with the Borderers could lead to a fixtures backlog, chief executive Martin Bain hopes the SPL will support Gers' bid to progress to the last 16 of Europe's premier club competition by agreeing to put it off.

Rangers must avoid defeat against Alain Perrin's Ligue 1 title holders to go through to the knockout stages of the event with Barcelona.

Having the match with last season's First Division champions moved back would give Smith and his players 11 days to get ready for the biggest game of the season so far and improve their chances of reaching the latter rounds.

A club spokesman said: "Following media enquiries Rangers can confirm that we have approached the SPL and Gretna Football Club this week to seek the postponement of our fixture at Fir Park on Sunday December 9 in lieu of our Champions League match with Lyon."

A brilliant idea and one that surely cannot be denied given how we readily cancelled our game prior to the Scotland v Italy international.

Cammy F

Sorry i think it is pish. They are Prof footballers and should be able to play two games in four days. Next we will want a six month training camp. Every team should be the same and have a game at the weekend. Yes let them play on Friday or Saturday but to miss a game before every CL game is bullshit.

It didn't help Scotland one bit anyway.:confused:

Sorry i think it is pish. They are Prof footballers and should be able to play two games in four days. Next we will want a six month training camp. Every team should be the same and have a game at the weekend. Yes let them play on Friday or Saturday but to miss a game before every CL game is bullshit.

It didn't help Scotland one bit anyway.:confused:

It didn't help Scotland, but the offer was there and we did everything in our power to help Scotland - surely all we can ask is the same to be respricated?

Cammy F

It didn't help Scotland, but the offer was there and we did everything in our power to help Scotland - surely all we can ask is the same to be respricated?

Cammy F

Must every CL game become a two week break? Sorry i think this is the biggest bullshit ever. If this is the case then we can better forget the SPL and start Euro leagues.

There is a slight difference between the 2 games and situations. I dont think we need to cancel. Our squad is big enough to rest our main players and other players should come in and have enough to beat fookin Gretna.

There is a slight difference between the 2 games and situations. I dont think we need to cancel. Our squad is big enough to rest our main players and other players should come in and have enough to beat fookin Gretna.

No Gribz you see it wrong we should apply for a two week break before playing Gretna. Oh yeh and the East Stirling game maybe we need three weeks for that one. what a lot of Bollocks!!!! We don't need a break we need Walter to choose fucking positive tactics. Pissed off by this shite.

I agree. We hear all about how we have a much larger, and better, squad so put the squad to use. We should be able to bring in players like Buffel, Gow, Whittaker, Burke et al and still beat Gretna.

I also am not convinced that an 11 day lay-off would help us. Plus it sets precedence - if we get our game postponed then the Tims could rightfully get theirs postponed too and that would lead to fixture congestion.

As Gav says, it is Gretna, not Celtic, Hibs, Hearts or the sheep - just get on with it and utilise the squad we have.