Rangers are poised to offer Nacho Novo a new one-year contract.

"We're in discussions with Novo's agent and are happy to offer him a new deal because we would be pleased to keep him," said Ibrox boss Walter Smith.

"It's now a question of whether he wants to stay while not getting a regular game, and whether he wants to be in the same position next season."

Spanish striker Novo was signed by Alex McLeish from Dundee in 2004, but faces competition for a first team place.

Novo, who is currently out injured with a dislocated shoulder, is only one of several forwards currently at Smith's disposal.

Jean-Claude Darcheville, Daniel Cousin, Kris Boyd and Steven Naismith are all vying for regular starting slots with the Light Blues.

And Smith explained: "There is no point in me saying to someone, 'You will be in the team all the time,' if then he finds himself on the bench.

"So when you are talking to players, you always outline the worst-case scenario. That is where you've got to start."

Id be happy to see Novo staying on but dont like that comment in bold. At the moment (if fit) Novo should be starting.

I hope Novo stays as I think he has a lot to offer the team. I don't think anyone can be guaranteed a place in the team so i have no problem with the statement from Smith.

Id say Ferguson is guaranteed a place in the team.

If Smith had said nobody is guaranteed a place then that sounds better but to single out Novo and say he wont get a regular game is a bit off.

Id say Ferguson is guaranteed a place in the team.

If Smith had said nobody is guaranteed a place then that sounds better but to single out Novo and say he wont get a regular game is a bit off.

How can you say that he is singling out Novo in that context ? He was talking about Novo's contract so who else would he speak about ?

Yes he singled out Novo but only due to him speaking about Novo's contract - he would hardly speak about Novo's contract and then say "Whittaker isng guaranteed a place in the team".

Maybe he could have said no-one is guaranteed but when he is talking about Novo I am sure his responses should be about Novo.

How can you say that he is singling out Novo in that context ? He was talking about Novo's contract so who else would he speak about ?

Yes he singled out Novo but only due to him speaking about Novo's contract - he would hardly speak about Novo's contract and then say "Whittaker isng guaranteed a place in the team".

Maybe he could have said no-one is guaranteed but when he is talking about Novo I am sure his responses should be about Novo.

EH, thats what I said. Im just saying he shouldnt use the words "he". Novo will look at that and give himself the option of moving away.

EH, thats what I said. Im just saying he shouldnt use the words "he". Novo will look at that and give himself the option of moving away.

But WS was talking about Novo specifically so why would he not talk about Novo's position in the squad specifically ?

But WS was talking about Novo specifically so why would he not talk about Novo's position in the squad specifically ?

Why make it public knowledge that he isnt going to be getting a regular game? What good can that do to Novo's morale?

Why make it public knowledge that he isnt going to be getting a regular game? What good can that do to Novo's morale?

Why tell lies ? Novo has played very well when called upon and would continue to do so - he isnt the type to not try.

And I think WS is saying pretty much what everyone, including Novo, already knows.

Hope he signs a new deal. The wee man tries his heart out every game and loves scoring for us. Hopefully AM can improve NNs composure when in front of goal, that's the only part of his game that really lets him down in a big way.