After another not so glorious defeat in Europe under Walter what does the near future hold for the club? Some fantastic early performances have meant we exceeded most of our expectations in the toughest CL group but unfortunately we couldnââ?¬â?¢t go that extra two feet to snatch a draw and qualify ââ?¬â?? the whole campaign falling apart with JCDââ?¬â?¢s horror miss near the end last night. Down and out then ââ?¬â?? but still all to play for!

Firstly, can I first say I obviously share everyoneââ?¬â?¢s disappointment at last nightââ?¬â?¢s result. First half we just werenââ?¬â?¢t good enough and while we managed to have plenty possession in the second, as has been the case for a few years now, we lacked the genuine creativity and width to cause Lyon problems. The two late goals made the result look worse than it actually was but one may accurately contend cancelling the game against Gretna resulted in a team who took 30mins to get into their stride while our inconsistency in selection must be addressed to avoid our constant ââ?¬Ë?Jekyll and Hydeââ?¬â?¢ displays during the actual game.

On the other hand, it�s been just over a year since we were being turned over at home to St Johnstone so progress has been decent and we shouldn�t be overly critical in our analysis of the team. There is a lot to be proud of and the potential is certainly there for further improvement with a renewed challenge for the SPL.

As such, we must all immediately lift the heads and move onto the next game which as we know is a tough home game against Hearts. How vital this game is cannot be stressed enough ââ?¬â?? Celtic being 5 points head but with us having two games in hand means in real terms weââ?¬â?¢re top of the table. Therefore, we must ensure we get the chance to develop that potential one-point advantage instead of stumbling right away as we have done too often this season.

Unfortunately this will have to result in more changes in personnel. This means the invisible man himself Sir David Murray must again back the club with Her Majestyâ��s currency. Lurking at the back of the Directorâ��s Box last night and lurking in the shadows out with Ibrox on a day-to-day basis, itâ��s time Murray delivered on the grand promises of old. Around �£12million was spent in the summer and thatâ��s a fair amount in todayâ��s climate but we need more.

To help facilitate that Walter Smith needs to make a few tough squad decisions. Although all the following players have their positives and we could all make a case for them staying, they donââ?¬â?¢t play enough and unless the manager intends playing them, they have to be moved on to create funds for at least another two first choice players. Ehiogu, Webster, Hemdani, Burke, Buffel, Boyd and Cousin are just 7 players who appear surplus to to requirements, either via injury proneness, general attitude problems or simply not fitting into Smithââ?¬â?¢s way of thinking. We cannot afford passengers to if theyââ?¬â?¢re not going to be played ââ?¬â?? they must go in order to bring in the missing links that will affect our future.

These are:

1. A creative attacking midfielder. Last showed that Barry Ferguson cannot play this role effectively enough. The skipper is a fine player but he plays better dictating things from deeper positions and that�s where he must play alongside the ever improving Kevin Thomson. Having an attacking, creative player to feed off the recycling skills of Ferguson and the combative nature of Thomson is something the team has been missing for a long time. Is Thomas Buffel the answer? I doubt it and because of that we must find someone who can play that role consistently with the quality required to unlock defences home and away.

2. Another centre-half. As I wrote last week, we have a dilemma regarding Davie Weir. His effect on the team has been admirable but last night his limitations were exposed. As such, if Webster cannot prove his fitness (or legal position) we must find another experienced ââ?¬â?? quick, physical and aerially competent ââ?¬â?? to compliment Carlos Cuellar. Short-term pain for Weir; long-term gain for the team.

3. A left back. Not as crucial as the first two priorities but if Steven Smith cannot resume playing quickly; another left back would give more balance to the side. Sasa Papac has done well for periods this season but his limitations affect the team and too much important is placed on our right flank. Alan Hutton cannot be expected to deliver our only wide threat indefinitely.

4. A winger. With DaMarcus Beasley out for the rest of the season and Chris Burke almost as anonymous as our chairman, we have an obvious requirement for width. For all his physical positives, Lee McCulloch does not provide that and that results in all too predictable long ball tactics. Let�s utilise McCulloch�s threat properly by having him win headers in the 6 yeard box, not 30 yards from goal out wide. A new winger (right or left sided) would help facilitate that.

Unfortunately, buying 2-4 players of the quality required would cost a fair amount of money. Having already spent �£12million, the chairman may not share our eagerness to build the team further. His medium-long term future is questionable and we have direct experience of his lack of genuine vision and ambition. However, we also know of Murrayâ��s ego and the great business skills he does retain. I have personal experience of the chairman scoffing at suggestions heâ��s not a real Rangers fan and how he supports the team as much (if not more) that any other bear. Is that emotional support compatible with more financial support? Well, we need both.

At the same time, while these requested changes to the squad may well be imperative, we must also keep changes to a minimum. Weââ?¬â?¢ve already brought in several new players and our general inconsistency is testament to how the manager is taking time to find his best players. His initial target was to make us hard to beat and that target has been achieved. Now itââ?¬â?¢s time to move to the next stage ââ?¬â?? weââ?¬â?¢re hard to beat defensively but we need to make teams worry about our attacking threat again.

Bringing in a new creative player (all suggestions to E. Chester, Murray Park please) is imperative to this development. The potential of players like Whittaker, Thomson and Naismith is exciting and all three will play an important part in every game between now and next summer. But they need help. For all their positives every one of them lack the experience to affect games in a creative sense so we must take that pressure off them and bring in an experienced player who can.

Despite all the above I cannot stress enough it�s not all negativity at the club. Improvement has been obvious and just need to build on that. Our fans have been incredibly loyal in recent years without any success. Season ticket sales are still at record levels and no-one can question the financial backing or emotional support we give. It�s time to repay that faith.

Starting from the chairman right down to the dressing room we need to build on the relative advancement we�ve seen since January. Let�s move in the dead wood quickly and effectively. Let�s take the game to all our opponents. Let�s bring the title home.

Time to get the battle fever on!

Can't disagree with most of that Frankie. I only ask why we need to have 3 central midfielders as you are suggesting, and what position are you dropping to attain that. In my opinion we need Thomson as ball winner and a creative midfielder next to him. Playing a third man in there would mean we would have to play 5 men in the middle and that would mean giving up a forward or defender. Going 4-3-1-2 would give you your wish but it will go to the cost of width unless the two wide players in the middle 4 are the type of players who will bust a gut to attack and defend. If we have a mid -mid who does not twist and turn and with a quicker thinking brain for a pass than what we now have, I am not so sure that Buffel or even Nacho cannot fill the role behind the strikers. For me the new midfielder has to be a replacement for Captain Marvel, as he spends more time worrying about other players and does little in the marking role himself.

Everyone knows Fergie will claim at least 80% of the balls coming out of defence and what is easier than that to break up our play.

I know the gramophone is stuck again.:yawn:

I'm not necessarily talking about 3 central players.

Ferguson and Thomson in a midfield 2, with the creative player given a free role to support the striker. Adding in a winger would up our creativity a fair bit.

The best example of our central midfield partnership that I can recall in recent times was when we had Stuart McCall and Gazza. Stuart McCall had a fantastic engine and would run all day long - breaking up play, making tackles, short passes and was box to box.

That allowed Gazza to.... well, be Gazza. He knew he could break forward as McCall would cover him.

Very effective and also made our central midfield pair difficult to defend against as they both would make forward runs but mix it up.

I know we are unlikely to get someone of Gazza's quality again (not many teams could) but someone with his creativity whilst having someone like Kevin Thomson doing the McCall role would be something I would like to see.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Thomas Buffel being brought in beside Thomson and giving Ferguson a rest. However, this bear just cannot be convinced that Buffel would be a success and would have the same industry as Gazza had. Plus Buffel is known to be posted missing, something Gazza wasn't. But we need to try SOMETHING to find some creativity.

I am a fan of Fergie's but if he is to be a holding midfielder then he definitely has to make improvements in the defensive aspects. For a holding midfielder he is one of, if not the, worst I have seen at marking his player and tracking back. Far too often for me he drifts towards the ball which very often leaves an unmarked player - that is elementary stuff, for a defender but also a holding midfielder.

I'm not necessarily talking about 3 central players.

Ferguson and Thomson in a midfield 2, with the creative player given a free role to support the striker. Adding in a winger would up our creativity a fair bit.

I feel the creativity needs to be in the supply route and as Fergie picks up the ball off the CH's toes then that is our week link. A CH who can play the ball through the midfield alla Frank de Boer is also a must. When Fegie drops back so deep to collect the ball off the CH's toe's means we are a 5-3-2 at that moment and makes it easy to close players down as 1 opposing striker can get at Fergie which means the 2 CH's are also tied up. It is then easy for the opposing team to double up against the 5 players in a more advanced position. We are just too predictable i see that scenario time and time again when i see Rangers play.

It is unfortunate the defensive aerial side of Hemdani is week, otherwise he would be the perfect player to bring the ball out of defence.

The best example of our central midfield partnership that I can recall in recent times was when we had Stuart McCall and Gazza. Stuart McCall had a fantastic engine and would run all day long - breaking up play, making tackles, short passes and was box to box.

That allowed Gazza to.... well, be Gazza. He knew he could break forward as McCall would cover him.

Very effective and also made our central midfield pair difficult to defend against as they both would make forward runs but mix it up.

I know we are unlikely to get someone of Gazza's quality again (not many teams could) but someone with his creativity whilst having someone like Kevin Thomson doing the McCall role would be something I would like to see.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Thomas Buffel being brought in beside Thomson and giving Ferguson a rest. However, this bear just cannot be convinced that Buffel would be a success and would have the same industry as Gazza had. Plus Buffel is known to be posted missing, something Gazza wasn't. But we need to try SOMETHING to find some creativity.

I am a fan of Fergie's but if he is to be a holding midfielder then he definitely has to make improvements in the defensive aspects. For a holding midfielder he is one of, if not the, worst I have seen at marking his player and tracking back. Far too often for me he drifts towards the ball which very often leaves an unmarked player - that is elementary stuff, for a defender but also a holding midfielder.

That is the way i see it as well Craig, a Gazza McCall like partnership.

I would add a Gough to that as well. We really need a defender who can also play football.

Just for the info i am not a Fergie fan although you may have guessed that.:rolleyes:

I was watching Hemdani's reading of the game last night, I think if big Davie Weir calls it a day (His pace being a problem) then I would suggest moving Hemdani into the centre of defence, I feel Cueller and Hemdani would be formidable together and pacey centre forwards wouldn't threaten these two.

This would of course allow Thomson to be the deeper holding defensive midfielder which could open up Charlie Adam, Thomas Buffel or even Alan Gow's chances to join Fergie in the centre of midfield perhaps.

I do feel sorry for Darcheville, the ball did bobble as he slid in to finish it off, I think we all know if that went in the game would've finished 1-1. The fans knew this too as they applauded him off the park despite his red card, let's face it, if Cousin got sent off there would've been fans screaming murder at him.

UEFA Cup: This isn't just a walk in the park for us, there are teams such as Marseilles, Werder Bremen and let's not forget Bolton, Everton and Tottenham a possibility.

I said to the lads before the game yesterday, Lyon are hurting and with us just needing a draw to go through it might be a bad thing as we may be more defensive than usual while Lyon will be giving 110%. We were all worried about Junihno's free kicks of which one rattled our cross bar but in Benzema or whatever he's called, Lyon have a fantastic footballer on their hands.