Exclusive! New Deal For Boyd

by Lindsay Herron

SCOTLAND'S top striker Kris Boyd has signed a new contract extension which will tie him with Rangers into the next decade.

Kris BoydBoyd blasted a remarkable 20 goals for Rangers from 20 appearances in the second half of last season after signing a three-and-a-half year contract following his transfer from Kilmarnock.

That followed 17 goals for Killie in the first half of the campaign and then he notched twice for the national team on his international debut for Scotland against Bulgaria in the Kirin Cup in Japan.

Now he has added a further 12 months to his deal which will keep him with the Light Blues until the summer of 2010.

Manager Paul Le Guen explained: "I'm very happy that Kris has signed for another year. He is a good player and it was important to keep him. I'm convinced he can get better and better."

The 22-year striker is thrilled to get the seal of approval from the new boss and revealed that he worked hard to impress him.

Boyd told rangers.co.uk: "I'm delighted to have added another year to my contract.

"I came back to pre-season with the attitude that I needed to impress the new management team. I think it was the same for a lot of us.

"I guess I must have done something right and it's very pleasing to commit for another year!

"I knew when I came to Rangers last season that I had to perform to the best of my ability. There was pressure on me but I had had a good start with Killie and I think that helped me.Kris Boyd celebrating after scoring in his first cap for Scotland

"I had to perform at the same standard - or even better - and I managed to do that with the 20 goals.

"We all knew towards the end of last season that changes were happening so I think we all made sure that we kept our fitness levels up so that we were ready to go work.

"We knew there would be changes with new players coming in and what have you so it's great that I'm part of the plans.

"It's pleasing that the new manager has shown faith in me."