Rangers have completed the signing of Ipswich Town goalkeeper Neil Alexander, which should free Roy Carroll to join Derby County.

Alexander has agreed a contract until 2011 with the SPL leaders after Ipswich admitted they could not stand in the player's way.

The Scotland international only moved to Portman Road last summer from Cardiff City, but did not hesitate to accept a move to Ibrox.

"As soon as I knew Rangers were interested in me, I didn't have to think twice about coming here," Alexander told the club's official website.

Very grateful

"There was only going to be one answer for me.

"I'm very grateful to Ipswich for not standing in my way. My manager Jim Magilton said it was a great chance that I might never get again and I agreed.

"This is a fantastic opportunity to come to one of the biggest clubs in Europe and I'm over the moon."

With Alexander now signed, Gers boss Walter Smith is likely to allow Carroll to complete his switch to Premier League strugglers Derby.

Why would he come here to be second choice? He's in the Scotland squad regularly but won't stay there playing reserve football.

I did wonder that.

What has Walter said to him. Why would he leave being first choice at Ipswich and 3rd choice for Scotland to sit on our bench. He must have looked at Carroll, a keeper I don't particularly rate but with a good cv, warming the bench.

Can't see him getting by McGregor. GK is one of the positions where it is nigh on impossible to dislodge teh guy currently with the gloves, so barring injury/horrific loss of form I can't see him getting a game.

Mcgregor is not far off Gordon imo, but will suffer from the same issue at international level that Alexander will have to deal with here.

I did wonder that.

What has Walter said to him. Why would he leave being first choice at Ipswich and 3rd choice for Scotland to sit on our bench. He must have looked at Carroll, a keeper I don't particularly rate but with a good cv, warming the bench.

Can't see him getting by McGregor. GK is one of the positions where it is nigh on impossible to dislodge teh guy currently with the gloves, so barring injury/horrific loss of form I can't see him getting a game.

Mcgregor is not far off Gordon imo, but will suffer from the same issue at international level that Alexander will have to deal with here.

S_A.... you said you wondered why he has come here to be 2nd choice and what has Walter said to him....

I think you could possibly have answered your own question in your final sentence.... McGregor not far off Gordon.... Gordon went for 9 mill... McGregor (if teams also believe he is not far off Gordon) would be worth what, 6 or 7 mill ?

Maybe we have been sounded out about selling McGregor in the summer and we all know that 6 or 7 mill would be "too good an offer to turn down for a goalkeeper".

Or am I just being too cynical ?

"As soon as I knew Rangers were interested in me, I didn't have to think twice about coming here," Alexander told the club's official website.

Did anyone think its because he's a bluenose and would love to play for us? Or he wants a new challenge?

Given the fact its probably not for the money, I think we should be delighted :)

S_A.... you said you wondered why he has come here to be 2nd choice and what has Walter said to him....

I think you could possibly have answered your own question in your final sentence.... McGregor not far off Gordon.... Gordon went for 9 mill... McGregor (if teams also believe he is not far off Gordon) would be worth what, 6 or 7 mill ?

Maybe we have been sounded out about selling McGregor in the summer and we all know that 6 or 7 mill would be "too good an offer to turn down for a goalkeeper".

Or am I just being too cynical ?

Interesting point I hadn't considered.

Obviously watching McGregor on a regular basis I rate him, however I think it might take another few months of top quality performances for EPL or other foreign leagues to start taking notice.

Could be right though.

Ascender also maybe has a point, but I still think Walter must have bent his ear about a serious chance of playing, but I just don't see it.

Craig, if McGregor moves on in the summer for 6-7 million quid I'll pay for your flights to come over here and pump the missus. I'll even take a wee souveneir photo for you!!!!

Now, I wasn't saying that I thought McGregor was worth 6 or 7 million juffers.... was just running a scenario - I reckon we would accept 4 mill for McGregor, maybe even less.

Is the offer still open though ? Just as long as I dont mention it to the wife I will be OK, right ?

I will be over in the summer anyway, so keep the flight money and buy the beers !

Now, I wasn't saying that I thought McGregor was worth 6 or 7 million juffers.... was just running a scenario - I reckon we would accept 4 mill for McGregor, maybe even less.

Is the offer still open though ? Just as long as I dont mention it to the wife I will be OK, right ?

I will be over in the summer anyway, so keep the flight money and buy the beers !

If we get 6 mill, it's a done deal. Seeing as I don't have to pay for flights, I'll upgrade the souveneir photo to a DVD with a directors commentary!