http://www.gersnetonline.net/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=590&Itemid=1

The morning after the night before, eh? Iââ?¬â?¢m sure Iââ?¬â?¢m not the only football fan nursing the equivalent of a hangover this morning as the hype of January transfer window closes for another season. Internet forum server issues, ridiculous radio-phone rumours and around-the-clock satellite sports news excitement ââ?¬â?? coupled together they make for quite a cocktail of commotion and emotion. Hence the hangover this morning; especially when our team havenââ?¬â?¢t been as pro-active as weââ?¬â?¢d all like.

Despite my article of Tuesday morning warning all Rangers fans of the unlikelihood of substantial investment in the wake of the Alan Hutton transfer, movement occurred nonetheless and it seems we weren�t far off securing the services of Italian striker Andrea Caracciolo from Sampdoria while we did manage to sign the Fulham and Northern Ireland midfielder Steven Davis on loan from the Premiership. Davis is actually a decent signing and although I�m not personally a huge fan of loan deals, he will provide the kind of genuine back-up and depth required for Barry Ferguson and Brahim Hemdani as Kevin Thomson sits out for another two months.

Obviously the Ã?£4million deal for Caracciolo was the most exciting rumour of the day and every Rangers fan waited with baited breath as we heard Walter Smith and Martin Bain were in Italy. Unfortunately (or as it may have turned out ââ?¬â?? fortunately) the huge striker chose to stay in his homeland and drop a division to Serie B to play with his former club Brescia. Itââ?¬â?¢s ironic that in the week one Rangers player leaves to realise his ambitions what seems to be our main transfer target lacks the same aspirations in his career to move to the UK ââ?¬â?? instead blaming a lack of self-confidence and the weather for his decision. Hardly the mental and professional discipline you want to hear from a player you want to spend the total of around Ã?£7million on! A lucky escape then perhaps?

Unfortunately what this debacle does highlight is the further incompetence of our Chief Executive. Martin Bain quite simply is not up to the job. I bear the man no ill-will and in his Rangers career (over 10 years now) heââ?¬â?¢s done some good work in the face of constant criticism and financial downsizing while being the stereotypical lamb to the slaughter while his boss relaxes in France. A well paid ââ?¬Ë?yes-manââ?¬â?¢ nonetheless though and the way weââ?¬â?¢ve conducted our business this January (and in the past) shows just how out of his depth he is.

To avoid any confusion Iââ?¬â?¢m not criticising the club about not spending the ~Ã?£10million from the Hutton/Cousin deals per se. As I wrote the other day, not spending it is understandable to a degree and Iââ?¬â?¢d much rather we were prudent and efficient in our dealings. However, if there was around Ã?£5million to spend, surely the old adage of not keeping all your eggs in one basket applies here? Weââ?¬â?¢re told that the club have scouted Caracciolo for months, yet we leave it to the absolute last minute to try and negotiate our way through the confusing world of the Italian transfer system ââ?¬â?? three clubs involved directly, other clubs interested, translators required and agents hovering with their claws as sharp as ever. Yet, ex-catalogue model Bain is deemed to have the tactical nous to navigate his way through such a tough deal ââ?¬â?? all in a few hours!?

I certainly don�t pretend to be some sort of finance guru or transfer expert but time was never going to be on our side so instead of wasting time taking last minute flights to Genoa, we should have moved onto our next target. We do have one Ewan Chester, don�t we? Or was Willie McLies too busy hawking wee Broon again to furnish us with his usual brand of short-term client information? Certainly Martin Smithers and his merry band of under-achieving assistants are not justifying their inflated wages while the rest of us pay for the privilege of watching them let us down time after time.

But, and this is the crux of the article, all the above does not mean we have a convenient get-out clause for not winning the league (or the other competitions weââ?¬â?¢re in). Yes, we should have strengthened while Celtic have done so (to a degree) but we still have more than enough talent at Ibrox to compete on all fronts. Losing Alan Hutton is a big blow and Daniel Cousin (if he does actually leave ââ?¬â?? more crazy dealings by our staff given the obvious FIFA rulings) is a similar loss. However, we have deputies more than capable of taking their place. Steven Whittaker has shown he has the game to develop into a fine player while a fit Darcheville and a determined Boyd would keep out most strikers out of many teams anyway. Christian Dailly and Neil Alexander may not be the most glamorous of signings either but both will provide competition for places and much-needed experience as we proceed towards our goals.

As such, despite all the valid criticism aimed at the likes of Bain and despite all the obvious disappointment of not capturing another player or two, it�s vital we keep our eyes on the prize. A four point lead is a good one and should be able to defend this over the coming months with the existing squad. Three Old Firm games in two months will be the ultimate decider but we have nothing to fear in that regard either. So, confidence should remain, support for the players and manager should remain and no excuses will be accepted.

The SPL is attainable and nothing less will suffice.

Excellent article Frankie and one very important question to come from Bains continued missmanagement is where Cousin will stand if UEFA don't sanction his move south (can they still sanction this after the window has closed?).

Will we as a support welcome Cousin back into the squad knowing full well that he'd rather be playing in a relegation battle in the EPL?

I bumped into Allan Hutton at Stanstead Airport on Tuesday and we was like a wee boy lost. I didn't know whether to approach him but finally did and I got the impression that he had his heart set on staying with Rangers. Get the feeling that the lad was pushed out the door and this reaks of the Barry Ferguson transfer to Blackburn. Wonder if we'll get Hutton back at a reduced price in 18 months?

It is obvious that Celtc have tried to strengthen their squad - whether they have is another point and we'll only know the answer after the next month or so. IMO we haven't strenghtend, we have substantially weakened our squad. Hutton has been brilliant since WS took over and IMO, Cousin was starting to find his feet, and more importantly, his way to goal before the window opened.

2 or 3 injuries or suspensions to players like Fergie, CC, JCD will leave us brutely exposed - this shouldn't be used as a excuse if we don't win the league, but under SDM we have turned from one of the richest clubs in Europe to a selling club with little or no long term ambition.

Cammy F

Great stuff Frankie.

Im not too dishearted we didnt pull in extra faces simply because I look at it form a larger scale. This time last year we were a absolute shambles and were struggling all over the park.

At the start of this season a lot of Bears said we would sacrife the title if it meant stability but closing the gap on Celtic. Basically WS picked us up too quickly as we went on a good run in the 2nd half of last season.

In the summer our squad numbers increased and coming round to this transfer window we didnt need too much new faces. We do need full back cover, we needed that before Hutton left. We have 3 squad keepers but Im only really confident with McGregor in goal at the moment, the other 2 dont do much for me.

We all know we have lacked a creative player for years - so step forward Buffel - if WS plays him.

But our numbers upfront are pretty decent, we have a good 6 players who can play there. I suppose being Rangers fans we expect a decent name or 2 coming in during the transfer window and we didnt get that.

However if we stay clear of a few injuries then there is no reason why we cant win a double or a treble. The cups are a lottery but we are in pole position in the league and are definatly strong enough to go on and win it which would be massive in terms of how far WS has taken us (after a 3rd and 2nd finish) and not to mention financially as it gains entry to the CL.

Excellent article Frankie and one very important question to come from Bains continued missmanagement is where Cousin will stand if UEFA don't sanction his move south (can they still sanction this after the window has closed?).

Cammy F

Asked this very question myself this morning.

Apparently if Fifa give the ok then the move can still go through, as all the relevant paper work for the transfer has gone through, them deciding on it might be another week though! :box:

Guest roadrunner

think too many guys are letting their heart rule their head here rangers a selling club cmon dont be daft who in scotland could have have knocked back 9 million eh ,i didnt want to see hutton go but lets be realistic here ,did they once not say one man doesnt make a team !!!!! so what if we didnt get the italian guy weve still got boyd nacho ,jcd etc so what the hells the problem ok celtic have signed a few so what, what if they dont settle in ??? as gribz said where were we this time last year ,so lets get out there and do what we do best..... SUPPORT RANGERS

think too many guys are letting their heart rule their head here rangers a selling club cmon dont be daft who in scotland could have have knocked back 9 million eh ,i didnt want to see hutton go but lets be realistic here ,did they once not say one man doesnt make a team !!!!! so what if we didnt get the italian guy weve still got boyd nacho ,jcd etc so what the hells the problem ok celtic have signed a few so what, what if they dont settle in ??? as gribz said where were we this time last year ,so lets get out there and do what we do best..... SUPPORT RANGERS

I'm not suggesting we should have turned down the bid.

I'm just saying we should have went about our business more efficiently. I also conclude by saying we have enough quality anyway and we now need to deliver the title.

Welcome to the forums btw... :)

But the actions of SDM and his underling Bain over the last 5-7 years have proven that we are a selling club. The list of players sold off under various managers is astounding - Arteta, Ferguson, Boumsong, Hutton, Lovenkrands, Cousin, Tugay, Albertz to name but a few. Where did all the transfer money go? it certainly didn't go back into investing in the squad. We have weakened our squad in every transfer window except this summer in the last 5-7 years.

If that doesn't make us a selling club with little or no long term ambition then I'm Sir David Murrays lovechild. Also, as Frankie says, it is the manner in which we do our business that is a worry. We are not just talking about transfers, but we are a mess from top to bottom at the moment. Areas like PR, Ticket Office, relationship with fans (or are we customers) etc leave a lot to be desired.

And as Frankie says, welcome to the forums.

Cammy F

i'll suggest we should have turned down the bid: we should have turned down the bid, there was no need to sell him.

if he stayed till the summer I could maybe have seen the sense in selling as it was too good an offer IMO but to sell him now doesn't........