Transfer Window - Who really won?

Playing devils advocate here, who got the better of the recent transfer window?

Based purely on numbers, it has to be Celtic who have brought in Robson, Mizuno, Hutchison, Hinkel and Samaras. Robson's form this season suggests he will beef up their midfield and Hinkel is an international standard right back and if he can avoid further injury he should help beef up their defence. Mizuno is, if you believe the hype, the next Nakamura with amazing potential. Big deal. He scores amazing free kicks but does bugger all else so why get excited just because the Tims bring in a younger, more naive and untested version of said dead ball expert? Hutchison is 20 years old and has had a few first team opportunities but is surely not a first pick and has yet to show he can cut it at the top level consistently. So, again I ask, what is there to get excited about?

Samaras is perhaps slightly different. He scored some good goals when he first arrived at Man City but quickly faded and showed that he is pretty inconsistent. Putting my cards on the table, I would have quite liked him to have signed for Rangers so the fact he has only a short term deal is prudent on Strachan's part as he strikes me as the type of player, like Lovenkrands, who disappears until it's contract renewal time. This makes him a dangerous commodity for the rest of the season.

So, in summary, Celtic have bought some untested potential in Mizuno and Hutchison but have added solid squad players in Hinkel and Robson. Samaras could be dangerous in the SPL but he doesn't have this bear too worried.

Turning my attention to Rangers, I have heard all the doom and gloom merchants and I have to agree that, on the face of things, we lost one of our best players in Hutton and didn't replace him. We also lost back up players in Carroll and Ehiogu but neither have played any more than a game or two and wont be missed. We have replaced both with Alexander, a Scotland squad regular, and Dailly. The latter is not a popular signing but he has been given a short term deal to provide squad cover. He wont be first pick for any of the back four or central midfield positions but he has the pedigree and experience which should be more than adequate to do a decent job in the SPL so lets not get our knickers in too much of a twist over this one because what else is the January transfer window for if it's not to add squad cover, in whatever positions are needed?

Rangers undoubtedly needed cover for the midfield given that Thompson is out for around another four weeks so to see Steven Davis arrive from Fulham is a shrewd move. A bluenose all his days it shouldn't take him long to settle. He hasn't found himself in Roy Hodgson's plans at Fulham but he is a tidy wee player who has played regularly in the EPL so I would put him in the same bracket as Barry Robson in that he's a good solid squad player who is likely to play pretty regularly in the remaining games of the season. Daniel Cousin's switch in the opposite direction should be reviewed by FIFA next week and I will be surprised if he isn't allowed to go and good riddance I say. Whilst he was on the pitch and scoring goals I supported him as I do every Gers player but he annoyed the f*** out of me with his lazy play. It was all the more annoying when you saw flashes of the player he can be and you wonder why he couldn't do it more regularly. His comments in the press slagging of his team mates show him up to be a poor team player who is only interested in himself. His blatant mercenary attitude to getting a move to the EPL merely serves to highlight this further so au revoir Danny boy, thanks for the goals and good luck to you but you wont be remembered too fondly by this bear.

Returning to an earlier point about the transfer window. You dont often see clubs splashing out and bringing in lots of players unless they have just brought in a new manager, or they are struggling to compete. This is exactly where I think Celtic are. They are competing with us, just, but they've been poor and are four points behind so advantage Rangers in the title race. Celtic's ropey defence has been their biggest downfall and Hinkel should help but it's the centre half position that they should have focussed on in my opinion. It's not like they've gone and splashed six or seven million on a top quality player that is likely to make a significant difference. Rangers are weakened in the right back position but if Smith and Webster can return to full fitness it will be like signing two new players. Darcheville, Boyd, Naismith & Novo should be more than capable of scoring the goals to win the title so bring it on - we welcome the chase.

Stewarty

Great piece Stewarty.

Puts an unbiased view of the transfer window for both teams.

Celtic really have only signed Hinkel and, possibly, Samaras if you look at starters (Mizuno and HUtchison wont get many starts and even Samaras will be fighting with McDonald and JVH for a start).

To be fair we have done pretty much the same, although Steven Davis will hopefully be a step up from Charlie Adam whilst Thomson is out injured.

Great piece Stewarty.

Puts an unbiased view of the transfer window for both teams.

Celtic really have only signed Hinkel and, possibly, Samaras if you look at starters (Mizuno and HUtchison wont get many starts and even Samaras will be fighting with McDonald and JVH for a start).

To be fair we have done pretty much the same, although Steven Davis will hopefully be a step up from Charlie Adam whilst Thomson is out injured.

Well, I wouldn't exactly say unbiased but I'm just not convinced by Celtic's spending over the transfer window. They've released Jarosick and Zurawski too so I dont think they've strengthed much at all. They're a wee bit stronger in one or two areas but much the same in others.

Just had another thought. How much have Celtc lost around 2 or 3 million in selling Zurawski and Jarosik - that's only going to add fuel to the fire when you consider how many Tims cant stand WGS!

Just reading on another site where a Tim says, and I quote.... "we have made three great signings of internationalists in Mizuno, Hinkel and Samaras". You couldn't write it !

I think we have to see our own signings as Dailly, Alexander, Stevie Smith, Webster and Buffel. That's five internationalists...

Hopefully Smith can get back to his best and in the team soon.

Dont get carried away Calscot - Walter doesn't play creative attacking midfielders so Buffel's got no chance. You wouldn't want Walter to get a nosebleed at his age, would you?!

:brick:

I have some worries; will Davis play? He should....C Adam is not what we need.

We have no creativity, and never really will under Walter. My fear is that the gamble to sell players and hope we win league anyway might fail....winning ugly depends on winning, yes? We are watching stodgy sh**, and 2nd place in May will seem like last to this bear, and many others.