Our Reputed Signing Policy And Sectarianism

Whilst browsing the web, I stumbled across a Craptic fans low-down Scotland and Craptic full back Danny McGrain. It was implied that Danny was turned down by Rangers as he was believed to have been a ‘Catholic’. The evidence that was given to ‘prove’ this was an extract from Danny’s book were he states that a Rangers scout came along to watch him play for his school. The critiquer then rambles on about how this is ‘proof positive’ that we had a sectarian signing policy.

Now, Danny went to a non-denominational school and if we did have a sectarian signing policy, surely a scout wouldn’t go and watch a ‘catholic school’ team as the critiquer implied?

I and many others have offered up many names of players who were known to have been Catholic whom graced the jersey during this alleged signing policy time. I am sure there are others who didn’t want their religion know (as is their right).

When Graeme Souness arrived at Rangers he tried to sign Ray Houghton who was a ROI international from Glasgow. Ray, who was friends with a family member of mine admitted that it was due to the expected reaction of ‘his community’ that stopped his from signing for Rangers. At the same time, Souness used my uncle as a sounding board for West Brom players and one, who was a Catholic was very close to signing until WBA doubled his wages and Rangers withdrew from the deal. Now, the player in question never raised a concern about his religion or the reception he would receive at Ibrox.

Look at the problems Neil McCann, Albertz, Rino, Amo, MoJo and Chris Burke have faced from the non-sectarian jolly jaipsters. Also, it is only the Tims and the mhedia who are making a big deal regarding PLG’s religion – 99.9%, if not 100% of Rangers fans don’t care, and that is what riles them.

I will leave you with a quote from a Linfield director relating to Catholics signing for them – the same could be argued about West of Scotland, Ulster and ROI catholics and catholics in general signing for us ;

“We have an open, inclusive policy for signing players,” pointed out Kennedy. “We’ve always had it, although during the troubles it might have been more difficult because young boys might get into trouble with their own communities for signing for us. We’re very proud of the traditions of our club. At Linfield you’re expected to conduct yourself with dignity and uphold the standards of the club, on and off the field.”

Cammy F

Indeed...

Rangers have had a Catholic player in every decade since we were formed.

Exactly Frankie...

Meant to add that the Craptic fan didn't bother to mention that part in McGrains book where he stated that in his own opinion, he was refused a coaching role at Craptic due to his religion.... Funny that eh?

Cammy F