adam & boyd - two of a kind?

it seems to me that the exact same reason adam gets a game, boyd is left out. adam is one of those players who, in a way some players cant, a certain percentage of the time, actually scores or creates a good scoring chance. he done it last night. while a lot of the time he is beyond shit i cant recall how many times i've either said "aw, naw, what you bringing on him for at all?" or "he has been abject pish, surely he must be subbed" and he's done something brilliant as if to personally spite me. he is the classic percentages player - 90% or so of the time he is a passenger, but i think walter smith knows that there are going to be a few times every game or so he does something that could genuinly cause damage to opposition. and for that purpose he puts him in.

but isnt this the very reason he doesn't play boyd? i realise they are different players in different positions but boyd doesn't seem to get a game presumably because he doesn't offer enough to the team enough of the time, even if, for a certain percentage of the time, he will score you a decisive goal.

so, i dont really buy the "he doesnt do enough for the team" argument while adam seems to get played on the exact same grounds. it must be something personal with boyd.

do you think we owe it to smith, a man who has in a dignified manner, completely turned our club from a laughing stock to serious contenders, to just accept him as knowing best about boyd?

I think Boyd's attitude goes a long way to deciding his fate. He's going a bit Marco Negri with his sullen sulky & routine. I havent heard any reports in the papers about any positive things he's doing to force his way back in to the team like asking for extra striker sessions with McCoist, extra gym sessions, shooting practice and generally doing a helluva lot more in training to say "Gaffer, I know you're not playing me but look, I'm putting in the effort and I'm trying to improve my game so give me a chance"

That way, if Smith is unsure what team to pick or what sub to make, he's going to think that Boydy has been putting in the effort and deserves the chance to show what he can do.

Its a baffling one, isn't it? Its like McCulloch being played up front when he's been rank rotten in that position for a few games on a trot.

Is there any substance to the rumours about Boyd's attitude being stinking? The guy seems to have lost weight recently which would at least suggest he's training harder or taking care of himself, so is that not a positive thing? He always comes on and looks interested and invariably scores, so its not like he's a big sulk and not even trying. There's been times this season when Cousin has looked even more lazy and disinterested, but that's a whole other subject.

We don't know what's going on behind the scenes tbh, but its starting to look like WS thinks that his Scotland tactics of 4-5-1 will make us hard to beat and that outweighs any risk of playing a more attacking formation. Over the course of a season he reckons that's the way to grind out a title win and is going to stick with it?

I'm assuming there's also something more to this, possibly on the training field. But when Boyd plays he scores, so it must be something pretty serious to put him down to 4th choice striker. If that's the case, why haven't the tabloids picked up on it?

WS is in charge though and what he says goes. We certainly can't argue with the results as we're top of the SPL which is our priority this season.

I'm assuming there's also something more to this, possibly on the training field. But when Boyd plays he scores, so it must be something pretty serious to put him down to 4th choice striker. If that's the case, why haven't the tabloids picked up on it?

Have heard that Boyd and McCoist had a run in on the training ground. Something along the lines of someone had played a long ball, McCoist had expected Boyd to chase and get it, had gone off his head at Boyd not doing this and Boyd retorting that he'd like to see fat McCoist get it. You get the idea.

Malky

Have heard that Boyd and McCoist had a run in on the training ground. Something along the lines of someone had played a long ball, McCoist had expected Boyd to chase and get it, had gone off his head at Boyd not doing this and Boyd retorting that he'd like to see fat McCoist get it. You get the idea.

Malky

For some reason that made me laugh :)