Kilmarnock manager Jim Jefferies has warned his former striker Kris Boyd that goals alone won't earn him a regular start for Rangers.

Scottish football fans' forum

The 24-year-old Scotland forward has been the club's top scorer for three consecutive seasons now, but was an unused substitute once again during Wednesday's 0-0 Uefa Cup draw with Panathinaikos, in spite of the Ibrox crowd baying for his introduction.

advertisement

Earlier in the season, the sum total of Boyd's Champions League experience was the final six minutes of the 3-0 home defeat by Lyon and he has started only one of the three Old Firm matches since Walter Smith returned to Ibrox 13 months ago.

Jefferies sympathises with his plight but insists that only by adding more elements to his game can the player expect to be trusted at the highest level.

"When Kris was here he had a lot to learn and improve upon," he said. "Now he's at a big club he has competition and there are greater demands from the manager about how he wants him to play because he's the one under pressure to get results.

"Walter's experienced enough to handle whatever supporters shout and he'll do what's best for Rangers.

If Kris was still here then he'd be in my team every week because he's a goalscorer and we don't have the luxury of leaving them out, but he's working in different circumstances now.

"I'm sure they won't be leaving it there: they'll be working with Kris on the training ground. He's still a young player and they'll be making sure that when he does go back into the side it's not just goals he's providing.

"I know he'll be frustrated because he loves playing and scoring goals. He was the same at training here - it was all he wanted to do.

"There were times when I used to shake my head at him but he's a great boy to work with."

Jefferies could do with Boyd on Sunday when his players will attempt to breach a Rangers defence which has now gone over 11 hours without conceding a goal, a statistic which underlines the extent of the rebuilding work done by Smith. "There was a spell about a month ago, including one match at Aberdeen that was drawn, when Rangers were playing really well," said Jefferies.

"Now, perhaps due to the heavy programme they now face, they're having to grind out results. But nobody is scoring against them."

May been discussed to deatb but I thought it was a good read. Can anyion e think of ANY other team in the SPL that wouldn't hav Boyd as a starter?

Can't believe he doesn't start more, best striker we have at the club, would get a start at every club in the SPL IMO.

People keep slagging him off for not doing it against the 'bigger' clubs but he's not exactly had a chance has he? I've not got the stats but I doubt he's played many minutes against top euro opposition, but he still gets slagged for not scoring against them :confused: and he's not going to learn much if he doesn't get a chance against them.

If we're not gonna play him let him go as it's not doing Rangers or Boyd any good.

2007-2008

31-07-2007 European Cup Rangers 2-0 Zeta (63 mins) (subbed due to Hutton being sent off, Broadfoot replaced him)

22-08-2007 International Scotland 1-0 South Africa (22 mins) 1 goal

08-09-2007 European Championships Scotland 3-1 Lithuania (90 mins) 1 goal

17-10-2007 European Championships Georgia 2-0 Scotland (23 mins)

17-11-2007 European Championships Scotland 1-2 Italy (1 min)

12-12-2007 European Cup Rangers 0-3 Lyon (6 mins)

Rangers - 69 mins / 0.8 games - 0 goals

Scotland - 136 mins / 1.5 games - 2 goals

Our formation just doesn't suit him, but at the same time there's been countless times where we have been playing with one up front and the ball's gone in to the 6 yard box but there's been no-one on the end of it.

I think WS is using his Scotland experience and applying it to the SPL.

id see the point if we had player who can play a decent ball to boyd ... but we dont..... no supply = not a lot of chances....

I see your point, but we havent a player who looks like they will put the ball in the net given any chance, we have ones that will work there socks off, but Boyd will guarantee goals IMO

I see your point, but we havent a player who looks like they will put the ball in the net given any chance, we have ones that will work there socks off, but Boyd will guarantee goals IMO

he will if he gets the supply... down side to boyd he harly ever makes his own chances...