Kris Boyd encouraged to emulate Ally McCoist

Bobby Russell, the former Rangers midfield player, believes that Kris Boyd could challenge Ally McCoist�s Ibrox scoring record � but he would still play Daniel Cousin against Panathinaikos on Thursday. Boyd has consistently been left out of the big games by manager Walter Smith and Paul Le Guen, his predecessor.

The latest snub came in last week�s goalless Uefa Cup draw with Panathinaikos at Ibrox, when Cousin replaced Lee McCulloch in the second half despite Rangers agreeing to sell him to Fulham. Cousin is due to travel to Greece unless Fifa authorises his move to Craven Cottage, which has been held up by the fact he has also played for Lens this season. Russell believes that the Gabon striker is perfect for the lone striker�s role that Smith prefers in Europe, but he has told Boyd to look to McCoist, the Rangers assistant manager, for encouragement that he can overcome obstacles in his early Rangers career. McCoist took time to find his feet before he netted a club-record 355 goals, while Boyd has already scored 62 since joining from Kilmarnock two years ago.

Russell said: ââ?¬Å?I donââ?¬â?¢t think it was so much that Ally McCoist was out of favour with the manager, it was just that he was missing a few chances in vital games. A section of the crowd started to get on top of him and Ally McCoist could easily have walked away and he didnââ?¬â?¢t. History tells you he is a legend, the top scorer in Rangersââ?¬â?¢ history. It will be a very big task to get towards that kind of record or even surpass it, but at this moment in time Kris Boydââ?¬â?¢s stats tell that he is on course.ââ?¬Â

But Russell added: ââ?¬Å?I would certainly play Cousin up front for his strength and his mobility. Boyd can be used as a sub to come on if required and you need to get a goal ââ?¬â? if there is pressure applied and the ball is played into the box.ââ?¬Â

Smith confirmed that Cousin will fly to Greece unless Fifa authorises his move beforehand. ââ?¬Å?One way or another, we will find out what is happening with Daniel at some point this week,ââ?¬Â Smith said.

Thought this an interesting comparison and view from Russell who himself was a very good player for us and after the debates and merits towards both Boyd and Cousin was a good read.

Cousin may be the better option, or more specifically, better suited to the lone striker role. I'd still play Boyd though for reasons that have been debated thoroughly over the last week or so.

Jon, if we go 4-5-1 how on earth can you come to the conclusion that Boyd should play?

He was slightly better on Sunday but only because he came deeper for some flick on's. If he does that when playing himself he is flicking it on for nobody.

Cousin is the better option to play upfront on Thursday followed by Novo and Naismith.

If boyd stays for the forseeable future I really cant see him getting near McCoists record. I would say 220 tops for Boyd if he stays another 6 seasons.

I did say Cousin may be the better option for the game mate. Just me personally would rather see a player who wants to be at the club and will score goals, play.

I don't think Boyd will come near Allys record. I did like the early comparison though. There also aren't going to be too many players who stay over 10 years at the same club.

Ally also played wit some great strikers and at times almost seemed telepathic....playing in a 442. I think given the run and playing 442 Boyd would guarantee 30 goals a season.

As I say, for the team and that formation, Cousin probably is the better option for Thursday (if he is still here). Just opinions and there has already been some really good debates on Cousin/Boyd.

Boyd had a chance to prove Smith wrong on Sunday but ended up proving him right IMHO.

He didn't do much in the game at all apart from a couple of flick ons and scoring a penalty. He didn't even make up for it by scoring in open play.

Boyd really needs to improve if he wants to push for a first pick in the team - especially in the areas he is most criticised for. There is no way he can play the lone striker's role.

Feb 20 2008 By James Traynor

KRIS BOYD is set to be unleashed on Panathinaikos tomorrow night in a bid to fire Rangers into the last 16 of the UEFA Cup.

The Ibrox club need a nold-fashioned centaur forward in Athens and the striker has been praying for the call.

And yesterday, as Rangers headed for Greece, it seemed certain Walter Smith was ready to gamble on Boyd.

But the Ibrox boss will wait until he sees the condition of the Apostolos Nikolaidis Stadium surface tonight before finalising his side, although word from within the camp said the former Kilmarnock hitman had shot to the top of the starting list ahead of Daniel Cousin.

The Gabon striker, who was booed when he went on as a substitute in the first leg which ended 0-0 at Ibrox last week, will be on the bench.

But Smith appears to have turned his attention to Boyd. The 24-year-old's goal against his old club at Rugby Park on Sunday was his 16th of the season and he made an impassioned plea for a starting berth right after that game.

However, it has always been assumed that Boyd cannot play as a lone striker and Smith seems to have been of that opinion as well.

But this time he could play Boyd at the sharp end with Lee McCulloch, who started up front on his own in the first match, just behind in midfield.

Whether to rely on Boyd or not has been a dilemma for Smith since he returned to Ibrox but given the chance he will find the net and the manager is prepared to use him tomorrow night. However, if he does start his inclusion shouldn't be seen as Smith bowing to public opinion as he has always made it clear he believes Boyd is a scorer.

The problem has been his workrate when his side aren't in possession. But Rangers have to score to go through and Smith is ready turn to Boyd.

Cousin would have been a certain starter had FIFA not dithered shamefully over the legality of his transfer to Fulham. Everything has been agreed between the clubs and the player has sorted out his terms and wants to get on with his career but FIFA' sinability to make a decision has left him in limbo.

Smith wouldn't be drawn on his team but on Cousin he said: "Daniel is not the first player to have found himself in this position yet FIFA have acted quickly.

"This time it is dragging on. I don't understand why a decision couldn't have been reached."