KENNY McDOWALL expects a more positive approach from Panathinaikos when Rangers face them on Thursday - and says that can help the Light Blues win.

The sides will meet in the second leg of their UEFA Cup tie at the Apostolos Nikolaidis Stadium in Athens eight days after they shared a 0-0 draw at Ibrox.

Ally McCoist, Walter Smith and Kenny McDowallOn that occasion, it was Walter Smith's Gers who created the best chances and the Greeks' shoot-on-sight policy meant they barely threatened.

First-team coach McDowall believes the Greens will be more upbeat as they try to clinch a likely last-16 meeting with German cracks Werder Bremen.

But he also thinks they could leave themselves exposed at the back and that could provide Rangers with the opportunities they need to progress themselves.

McDowall said: "There is no great need for us to go out and score an early goal. We know we are going to have to play away and be patient.

"This is a big match but we know we can score a goal and the squad is feeling confident of getting one.

"The onus will be on Panathinaikos to attack us and I fully expect them to do that. In turn, we are hoping that will give us a chance to get behind them and pick them off."Kenny McDowall and Walter Smith

Rangers flew into Greece today on the back of Sunday's 2-0 SPL win at Kilmarnock, their eighth league win in succession.

That result allowed them to extend the number of matches they have played without conceding to eight as well.

The run of 764 minutes without losing a goal is Gers' best for more than 12 years and they last had so many clean sheets in a row in December 1995 and January 1996.

Despite being in such good form at the back, McDowall has stressed how difficult it will be against Pana.

Although the Light Blues are no longer in the Champions League, he insists the standard of competition in the UEFA Cup is just as high.

McDowall added: "There are still a lot of good teams in this tournament and we are here to play one of them so we will need to be at our best to win the tie.

Daniel Cousin"The UEFA Cup perhaps isn't held in the same regard as the Champions League but anyone involved in it will tell you differently.

"There are a lot of decent players and good teams in the tournament and there is no doubting this will be a difficult fixture for us."

Lee McCulloch is the only player in the travelling party carrying a knock but the minor injury he suffered in training won't stop him from playing.

Also in contention to play is Daniel Cousin, whose protracted move to Fulham is now unlikely to happen before next week.

FIFA has delayed a decision on whether he will be allowed to join his third club of the season until then and McDowall is adamant the striker will give his all for Gers in the meantime.

He said: "Daniel has been back training with us, is part of the squad and he is available for selection.

"The way we have to look at it is that he is a Rangers player and carry on regardless until we are told differently."

It will be interesting to see the line up and if Cousin can play or not.

Pana will have to be more cautious due to the fact we can nick an away goal so this could be an advantage and allow us to play slightly further up the park.

Ferguson and Hemdani and due storming games after being poor recently and I think they will have blinders to assist us through on the night.

Experienced Squad For Athens

WALTER SMITH flies to Athens today with an experienced squad as he bids to lead Rangers into the last 16 of the UEFA Cup.

As we revealed yesterday, Daniel Cousin is in the travelling party and could feature on Thursday night as FIFA continue to drag their heels over Fulham's request to allow his transfer from Rangers to take place.

Thomas Buffel and Alan Gow are both added to the squad who were involved at Kilmarnock on Sunday, although Jean-Claude Darcheville is suspended for Thursday's second leg.

Neither are likely to feature but Buffel, in particular, has good experience at this level and might be an option for the manager.

Stevie Whittaker's hamstring injury has ruled him out of making the plane and Smith has resisted the temptation to take any of the youngers players with him.

Rangers arrive in Athens tonight around 5pm UK time and will train at the Apostolos Nikolaidis Stadium tomorrow night ahead of Thursday's clash.

Around 800 Rangers fans are expected in the Greek capital as Rangers try to win through to face either Werder Bremen or Braga.

Once again he adds Buffel and Gow to a european squad. I wonder if he will finally let one of them off the leash to show us what they can do. We are screaming out for them in the team.

Why so few traveling Rangers fans? You'd think that the sunny climes of Greece would be attractive at this time of year... Saying that it's a bad time for myself to take leave and I'm sure it's the same for many others.

It was snowing there the other day, not sure what it's like now but so much there game got called off at the weekend. They need undersoil heating :fish:

Actually the next time someone says that Rangers would get relegated from the EPL, check their team doesn't have undersoil heating and if it doesn't, inform them that their team would not qualify for entry into the SPL... ;)

Only Mickey mouse leagues don't have undersoil heating... :P

Guest BTBBilly

I have to agree with Gribz, we are screaming out for a payer who can make runs forward and beat a man or 2. Buffel is an ideal candidate. I'd love to see Novo and Buffel on at the start. Novo's pace caught there defence out at ibrox and all that was missing was the final product. A 4-4-1-1 would be fine with Novo on the right and Buffel playing behind the forward but we all know it will be 4-5-1 (4-1-4-1, which ever way you look at it).

The team id like to see outthere would be:

Mcgregor

Broadfoot

Cuellar

Wier

Papac

Novo

Ferguson

Hemdani

McCulloch/Naismith

Buffel

Boyd/McCulloch/Cousin.

any thoughts?

Guest BTBBilly

I will be the first to admit that when i heard about us going for McCulloch i wasnt best pleased. But im am glad to have been proved wrong. Whilst he isnt the best option for attack, i felt he done well last wednesday and he gets good knockdowns for attackers (as seen by Novo on wednesday) thats is my reason behind going for an attack with pace