6 W Bremen (h) Uefa

9 Hibs (h) Scottish Cup

12 W Bremen (a) Uefa

16 CIS Cup Final

19 Partick (h; tbc or SPL) 22 Hibs (h) SPL

26 Scotland v Croatia

29 Celtic (h) SPL

by Darrell King

Rangers' dramatic win in Athens last night could seriously impact their dreams of winning back the SPL title this season.

Nacho Novo's equaliser against Panathinaikos took Rangers through on away goals to a last 16 meeting with Werder Bremen.

It also added to a hectic mad March of games for Walter Smith's side.

Rangers face a punishing schedule of eight games in 28 days next month.

advertisement

And the Scotland players in the squad - such as Barry Ferguson, Lee McCulloch, Kris Boyd and Allan McGregor - could play NINE games, with the national side also having a game against Croatia.

The 1-1 Athens draw last night also means that, with every midweek now filled, it is almost certain the Old Firm derby - originally scheduled for January 2 - won't take place before Celtic visit Ibrox on March 29.

That would result in three Old Firm derbies being played in the last six weeks of the campaign - with the last two of them at Parkhead.

The chances of a delay to the 33-game split in the SPL is also likely as Rangers also have rearranged fixtures with Motherwell and St Mirren.

Rangers survived a few anxious moments in Athens last night. And Christian Dailly today relived the debut moment he feared would send Rangers crashing out of the Uefa Cup.

The Scotland man was thrown on as a right back sub in last night's 1-1 draw with Panathinaikos in Athens, a result that sent Smith's side through to a last 16 showdown with Werder Bremen on the away goals rule.

Bremen went through 4-0 after a 1-0 win at Braga, and will be at Ibrox on Thursday, March 6 with the return game six days later.

But Dailly revealed how he feared German ref Felix Brych would point to the spot after his superb goal saving tackle on Dimitris Salpingidis as the Greeks pursued a killer second goal.

The hitman had raced clear of Davie Weir before the 34-year-old made a last-gasp tackle, clearly taking the ball.

But Dailly said: "What was going through my mind? You are always worried that the referee maybe doesn't see it properly and gives a penalty.

"I did fear that might happen and that would have been a nightmare debut.

"I saw their lad bursting away and my first reaction was just to get over and try to close him down. I kept my eye on the ball and when I slid in I thought to myself: That's a good contact'.

"But you see the boy going down and the reaction of the crowd and sometimes refs give a penalty. That would have given them a chance for 2-0 and it would have been very tough for us then with 20 minutes to go.

"So I was relieved, although the bottom line is that it was never a penalty. But things don't always go for you.

"I was just happy to make that tackle, and it was maybe similar to the one big Carlos Cuellar made in the first half in terms of stopping a clear shot on goal."

Porkhead twice in the last six weeks could be a nightmare. I would hate them to win the league against us at home. I hope we have a cushion to stop that.

if we still have a lead they will hit us with everything. Including the kitchen sink. Nightmare scenario!!

Hard programme I agree,however they're professional athletes and should be able to play a couple of games a week,and i'm sure the players would rather play than train,as they should all be at the peak of thier fitness at this time of the season,except injuries of course.

If you look at our league games in Macrh there all at home, so we should be trying to take maximum points of them all , if not then 7 out of 9 points

If we beat Hibs in the Scottish cup then we will have a chance to rest our players at the Partick game

Only thing am worried about is that it looks like we will be playing Celtic at Parkhead with in a matter of days, they 2 games we can afford to lose one but win one as well, or keep it simple draw both of them.

The squad is going to be tested now.

In situations like this having not having a transfer window is silly. We are forced to play a game every few days and we cold easy end up with injuries etc but then we couldnt replace players.

April could be pretty much the same if we continue in the cups plus we've another OF game to stick in.