....do something historic this season??

Firstly, credit has to go to Walter Smith, Ally McCoist and the baldy one (KM) for what they have done to Rangers in the last 14 months. They have turned arguably the worst Rangers team in 20 years round into the frontmen in Scotland again and pushed us into the last 8 of europe. Yes it has not been pretty in certain games but recently the moaning has stopped about performances due to the progression the team in making in the competitons we are in. Thats what it is all about from March onwards - winning football matches.

We are coming into the business end of the season with finishing lines in sight and still in a wonderful position. Our Green friends from the other side of Glasgow along with a few of the so called "balanced 4th estate" must really be beginning to panic with what we could achieve this season.

However there is still a lot of football to be played and as good as getting to the last 8 of the UEFA cup feels we have to come back down to earth as we have not won anything yet.

We still have 3 old firm derbies to play which will no doubt decide if the league flag comes back to home to Ibrox. We are in pole position for these games with the next meeting to be played at Ibrox. We also currently have advantage of 3 point lead with 1 game in hand, thus depending on the farcical situation of Gretna.

All attentions can be turned to the league cup final on Sunday where we need the lads to produce yet another solid defensive display and do enough in Dundee Utd's half to take the first trophy home.

The Scottish cup will come around again and with all due respect to Partick Thistle we should be looking forward to facing either St Johnstone or St Mirren for another date at Hampden.

That leaves the UEFA cup. We fear no team in the here. Bayern are the favourties but we'll see what the draw brings us.

One game at a time is what is required at the moment and who knows what we will be celebrating in 2 months time.

:cheers:

The team,IMO,have surpassed my expectations already this season.Trust in Walter is what I say,he has made us hard to beat which is the main reason that we are having so much success,earlier than anticipated,and given the fact that we have generated a few dollars into the bargain, Walter has put us back on top in Scotland and given us a bit of credit back in europe,so if he continues the way ha has,into next season with some spending money,then I am certainly looking forward to next season already.

Best price you'll get for us to win the UEFA Cup is 13/1, worst being 10/1.

I'll have a wee tenner on that.

I wonder if there are any Rangers specials at the bookies. Beattie any prices on doubles, trebles etc???

It's a similar situation with the Scotland team and qualifying for the Euros. Even if, and lets bloody hope not, we end up with diddly squat come the end of May, it has to go down as a successful season given the position we were in 15 months ago. It may not be particularly pretty and at times downright frustrating, but I think that Walter has proved that he really is a top, top manager. In all honesty, I would put him up with Wenger, Fergie and that's about it in the UK.

It's a similar situation with the Scotland team and qualifying for the Euros. Even if, and lets bloody hope not, we end up with diddly squat come the end of May, it has to go down as a successful season given the position we were in 15 months ago. It may not be particularly pretty and at times downright frustrating, but I think that Walter has proved that he really is a top, top manager. In all honesty, I would put him up with Wenger, Fergie and that's about it in the UK.

Agree that its been a successsful (or progressional) season despite what happens (to an extent).

But I dont think I can put WS up with Awex and Wenger. WS struggled at that level with Everton and has had more poor european season than not. Sir Awex has been sucessful both sides of the border where as Smith only north, but he did superb with Scotland. Id say he learned a lot about himself after Everton.

He is a brilliant manager but he isnt Wenger or Fergie - they could hand pick any job they wanted in the world.

I think when you look at what he achieved with Scotland and Rangers over the last 3 years he has proved what an excelent manager he is. The way he has taken players with limitations and moulded them ito teams that have had such an impact. He's beaten France, humped Lyon, Stuttgart, Bremen, Panathanikos, unbeaten in OF games. That doesn't happen by accident. Stick Keegan, Benetiz, Ramos etc i those positions and I doubt they would get the same results. I thik he learned a lot from Everton and that is one of the reasons I rate him so highly. The way he thinks about games, tailors his team utilising the limited talents of his players, competing with the opposition rather than just playing against him if you get what I mean.

• 4 weeks later...

If we go no further it will already have been a successful season.

Bring home that league title, anything after that is a bonus.

I have no doubt we can get to the final, then after that anything is possible