When Kevin Thomson acrimoniously departed Hibs last January many expected his close pal to follow him along the M8 from Easter Road to Ibrox. During the following summer Scot Brown did indeed follow Thomson along the M8, but instead ended up at Celtic Park.

The media took great delight in ridiculing Rangers as being the new owners of the biscuit tin as we were seen as being unable to compete with Cetlic's package to take the young Scottish international to Parkhead. Were Rangers unwilling or unable to match the �£4.5 million pound fee plus �£25k per week in wages?

The two midifelders complimented each other well in an exciting Hibs team which regularly chalked up victories against both half of the Old Firm, stimulating the bidding war to take the two youngs stars to Glasgow. Brown took many of the plaudits from those who are not quite as appreciative of the nuances of effective midfield play as his all action combative style and marauding runs were more easily noticed. Keener students of the game tried to educate that Thomson was the better of the pair, with a more cultured game.

Rangers won round one as Walter convinced Thomson to become one of his first signings as he rang the changes in Govan following the disastrous Le Guen experiment. Round two was given as a resounding victory to Celtic. Many in the media felt it was a knockout blow in the summer transfer duels. Brown was hailed as a "blue chip" signing along with other players such as Donati the former AC Milan player.

So Thomson has had an extra half season to settle on the West coast. The Scottish press, and indeed some fans, were underwhelmed by his early contributions. A waste of �£2 million was the consensus. However towards the end of the season and most notably in the 2-0 Old Firm victory Thomson showed promise as Rangers dominated the mdifield contest.

His ex partner in the youthful Hibs midfield then made to many the suprising choice of joining the green half of the city. Celtic fans and many journalists revelled in the bloody nose Celtic had dealt Rangers in securing his services. As Thomson said "It's Scot's decision, he'll have to live with it". Prophetic words as Thomson turned in a man-of-the-match performance scoring the only goal of the game after an incisive run and one-two with Darcheville put Rangers on course for victory at Ibrox on Saturday.

Whilst in the early part of the season Brown's uninspiring performances had him bizarrely singled out as the best midfielder plying his trade in the SPL, murmurings of discontent about Thomson continued from the stands and on the back pages.

It was only really once Thomson was kept out of the side through injury that those with an active interest in Scottish football and particularly Rangers fans appreciated what he brought to the team. Tenacity, aggression, tough tackling and a great engine. Our midfield looks a lot stronger with the young Scot in it.

Conversely as the season drags on, the tide of opinion has turned on Scot Brown. A waste of �£4.5 million according to the disgruntled Celtic fans who watched in agony as he wasted several good chances as they succumbed to another crushing defeat to Smith's Rangers. Again failing to find the net.

Yesterdays game could prove pivotal in the two player's Old Firm careers. As Thomson goes from strength to strength, Brown increasingly comes udner fire from those of the green and grey persuasion. As Thomson continues to grow into a true Rangers midfielder the fans demand more and more. And Thomson delivers. He has begun to step out of his captain's shadow. Fans now suggest he should be getting forward and providing some kind of goal threat. And what better time for a Rangers player to bag his first goal for the club than against Celtic. How he has yet to join his more illustrious team mate and club and national captain in the Scotland set up is beyond this fan.

Before those from the east end cry bias at this peice let me be frank. Brown undoubtedly has the talent to be a top class midfielder. Not many Rangers fans can honestly say they did not want him at Ibrox. However the focus of this peice is to honestly assess the contributions of the two players many thought joined at the hip. Thomson did not move solely for the cash. He came to Ibrox to play beside and learn from the best Scottish player of the last decade, and maybe more, and under the guidance of possiblhy the most dominate coach in Glasgow.

In an era in which Celtic have prided themsleves on the fine business conducted both on and off the field, you have to ask yourself how they allowed themselves to pay an inflated fee for Scot Brown when his more effective former team mate was signed for less than half the price and most likely wages. Ask yourself, would you be happier with Kevin Thomson at �£2million pounds or Scott Brown at �£4.5 million and �£25k a week.

Yet again the wily Walter Smith appears to have gotten the upper hand on Celtic. And whilst it has taken most of the media the best part of 7 or 8 months to realise this, it is unlikely Smith was ever in any doubt about who was the more prodigious talent.

Hopefully Thomson's first goal for the club in this powderkeg fixture will see his somewhat meteoric rise continue and identify himself as potential successor to the current Rangers captain. A role that many fans worried would be impossible to replace when Rangers number 6 hangs up his boots.

Edit: Touched up the typos and a few errors to save Frankie a job before he posts it. Hope there's none left.

My opinion on scott brown is that we had a lucky escape. Steve Davis albeit a year older does everything it says on browns tin. give him time to settle? at 25 k a week he should be displaying the goods week in week out, but he doesnt even come close.In fact he gets poorer with every game i see him play. thompson has been critisised from a very early stage in his career at Ibrox but brown seems to be able to hide behind the still developing tag. I dont think he will ever live up to the expectations placed on him.

My opinion on scott brown is that we had a lucky escape. Steve Davis albeit a year older does everything it says on browns tin. give him time to settle? at 25 k a week he should be displaying the goods week in week out, but he doesnt even come close.In fact he gets poorer with every game i see him play. thompson has been critisised from a very early stage in his career at Ibrox but brown seems to be able to hide behind the still developing tag. I dont think he will ever live up to the expectations placed on him.

I certainly think Brown will improve. He has a few good attributes. He does however lack discipline and a knowledge of positioning. It's why Cletic were punsihed by better sides when he played beside Donati.

When Hibs got a few good results against us in the previous few years many wondered if the Scottish midfield was realising the dawn of a new era. Claiming Fergie struggled against the youthful opposition of Brown and Thomson. I'm sure we all remember how as this opinion found a large amount of backing Fergie took both of them to school in their next duel.

It is doubtful if either will ever live up to the standards of Barry. At their ages he was regulalry teaching a lesson to some of Europe's top midfielders. I woudl love it though if Thomson got somewhere near that level.

I remember that game. The criticism of Fergie must have made him want to prove a point an by god he put in some performace outshining the both of them.

Great read as usual SA

I remember that game. The criticism of Fergie must have made him want to prove a point an by god he put in some performace outshining the both of them.

Great read as usual SA

I think that is one of my favourite things about this Old Firm victory. Thomson putting in a terrific display to shame his more expensive pal. :devil:

Great article S_A - that needs to go on newsnow.

I whole-heartedly agree - Thomson has outshone his old team-mate. Thomson to me looks more cultured, more refined, with better judgement and a better reading of the game.

I don't necessarily think we made a lucky escape with Brown but I doubt we would have got value for money on him (although if you believe the hype the Tims could get double what they paid for him). I think that Brown and Thomson could have been very effective for us - but as of this moment I am MUCH HAPPIER we got Thomson and he has already, for this bear, proven value for money !

He should be getting the "Hartley" role in the national team for me.

ashame you can't talk like that :P especially when i got that call when you said you were coming round to continue the celebrations yesterday!!

Awesome read, and pretty much spot on in everything said. Still up for trying to make the banner:

THOMSON vs BROWN:

HALF THE PRICE; TWICE THE PLAYER

for me to take to parkhead? :D