Rangers striker Kris Boyd insists his frustration at being reduced to a fringe role in Walter Smith's team does not mean he will ever want to leave Ibrox.

The 24-year-old former Kilmarnock frontman has started just 19 matches this season, coming off the bench a further 12 times, but has scored a remarkable 20 goals.

That record makes him comfortably the club's leading scorer, even though Boyd has started fewer than half of Rangers' matches in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.

He was left on the bench throughout last week's Old Firm clash with Celtic, and has played in just one of the four matches Rangers have contested since his two goals as substitute saved the day in the CIS Insurance Cup final.

There is no guarantee he will be involved against Dundee United at Tannadice in the SPL on Sunday.

But Boyd told the Daily Record: "Look, the team has been winning so nobody can say the gaffer has got it wrong. I certainly am not saying that.

"But I don't think he or anybody else at the club would be happy if I wasn't frustrated. Of course I'm frustrated. I want to play.

"But although I'm not happy about not getting game that doesn't mean I want away."

He added: "I'm committed to Rangers and I want to be at Rangers for the rest of my life. I'm happy here."

Its always nice to have players with a desire to be at the club. Boyd for me is a sub at best but a good player to have on the bench when we are looking for a goal.

However if someone came in with a few million for him id bite there hand off.