what level our ambition?

There has been much speculation this season with a few EPL clubs supposedly jossling for the signatures of our top performers. Hutton was pushed out the door at gun point after spurs gave our chairman an offer he couldnt (or more to the point wouldnt) refuse and if you listen to the rumours there will be a few more tempting bids comming his way.

So given the success of the new team this season can we expect walter to put his foot down and demand that his squad remain intact? should we the fans demand consistency through the squad in order to maintain a standard that will see us compete and challenge in every competition as we have this year?

We have had a great season so far. All done will a squad built in a short space of time and you have to give credit to Walter and his staff for their efforts. But it will be all for nothing if we cant build on our successes. we have to retain the quality that we have in order to maintain any level of consistency and success in the future. If we dont we will end up stumbling from season to season hoping for the best.

Walter has had a fantastic return on his buys this season. Every player that has featured in the squad this season has played his part, quite exceptional given the amount of players comming through the door, that wont happen every season though. And If we go down the road of selling the likes of Cuellar and Mcgregor everytime an EPL club flashes it check book we are doomed.

We have to hold on to the likes of these players if we are to have any foundation for the new season . If we dont then we only have to look across the city at our inbred neighbours to see what happens if you neglect your squad and look after your bank balance instead.

Here here gisabeer.

As supporters we SHOULD demand the best and if we can keep this squad intact we shouldnt need to spend copious amounts of money every year for the next few years as it is a young team we have.

But I still see SDM dismantling it in the search for money, sadly !

Hopefully any bids will be knocked back by both the board and the players involved. But if, for example, Spurs offer �£6million for McShagger (a fair price after only one really outstanding season I think) and he wants to go, would we want to see theboard stopping him going or sell him and bring a keeper that realy wants to go places with the club?

I'm just using this as an example, I've no idea whether Shagger Dan wants to move on or not, but team spirit has played a huge part in our success this season and having players looking elsewhere could be detrimental to that spirit.

I think it is vital that we keep the core of our team, but for every player that leaves, it gives a new one an opportunity! As long as we aren't losing the spine of our team we should fare well.

One may wonder why Murray was so keen to take the money for Hutton half-way through a season...? Looking at the financial market at the moment, although I am far from a financial expert, it seems that a lot of people are effected by this credit crunch...

Would anyone know if that was a possible reason for reducing the current debt?

It would be detrimental to sell Hutton, Cuellar, MacGregor, Cousin etc in one season. I doubt we'd be able to replace that quality for less money than we'd take in, never mind the passion that most of them show! Can cope with the odd selling of a star player due to the gap in finances between ourselves and the bigger leagues, but a mass exodus each year? selling the replacements for these players a year on from now? that would be too much for this bear to take. (although I would still follow follow! Rangers till I die :thup:)

I agree that ideally we need to keep the main core of players - including McGregor and Cuellar. Losing them and starting again - no matter the money brought in - would hamper continuity and even if we bought a new centre-half for �£5million, he might not settle as CC has done.

The summer will be a good test of the club administration in this regard.

Firstly I think it depends on WS's plans. If he's rather have 6M to spend on a couple of players he thinks will raise the level of the team while losing the likes of MacGregor then it's up to him to give the nod. He's playing the balancing act, and the unfair criticism he's been receiving must surely put him under pressure to sell players, to bring in others with flair?

You can't criticise and boo a team and then expect the manager to keep the same squad. The trouble is too many fans want changes.

I think also it depends on the players and whether they really want to stay. There's no point turning down silly money for a player who really wants to play in the EPL. You lose the money and then end up with an unhappy, unmotivated player.

Cousin is an exception here as he came to realise that perhaps a transfer to Fulham was a bad move and perhaps playing for Rangers in a lesser league could be worth it for the medals and at least 18 European games. Especially when you consider he could have been playing Championship football next season, while those that stay at Rangers like Darcheville, will be playing Champions League football.

More astute players like Cuellar are learned this quickly and realise that playing for Rangers can be very rewarding indeed.

You have to play for the top two or three teams in a good footballing country to achieve the same kind of success and so unless you are headhunted by the top three in England, Italy, or Spain, then the likes of Rangers have the most potential - and the wages are pretty decent.

Some players will recognise this, others will prefer to move to lesser teams in the EPL who have more money and therefore higher wages now due to astronomical TV income.

But fighting relegation and losing at least half the time in front of 25000 crowds can't be as enjoyable.

PS I think our squad is pretty transitional at the this stage. We have achieved a certain level quicker than expected, so now Walter will want to add some quality players in certain positions.

Agree with this post,obviously I don't want certain players to leave,however WS is a very shrewd man and if he decides to let these players go then i'm confident he will get in players equal / better quality as we all know we are in the early days of rebuilding.Let's wait and see what happens when the time comes.TRUST IN WALTER :rfc: