Former Ibrox captain Lorenzo Amoruso believes Rangers can get the better of Fiorentina in the Uefa Cup semi-final.

"It will be tight and one goal could be enough," Amoruso, who also played for Fiorentina, told BBC Sport.

"Whoever scores first can sit back, defend and rely on counter-attacks and both teams are capable of doing that.

"If I have to choose, I think Rangers are better suited to that style as Fiorentina don't really have forwards and midfielders who can defend."

Amoruso arrived at Ibrox from Fiorentina in 1997 before moving on to Blackburn Rovers.

And the Italian centre-half helped Rangers win three championships and two trebles in his six years in Glasgow.

"I had an idea before Rangers played Panathinaikos and Fiorentina met Everton that the teams would meet," added Amoruso.

"It's a fantastic achievement for both clubs, but for me it's very difficult to choose."

The tie is balanced at 0-0 after an understrength Rangers held out for a drab draw at Ibrox.

Manager Walter Smith still has a long injury list to contend with, but midfielders Barry Ferguson and Kevin Thomson return from European suspensions.

"It was not a very good game to watch," Amoruso said of the first leg.

"I didn't expect much from Rangers since they were hit by suspensions and injuries, so they were playing for a good draw.

"It was very disappointing from Fiorentina because they knew important players were missing and I thought they would do more to try and win the game.

"But they didn't do that and it could be a big mistake.

"I was surprised because the spirit of Scottish football is to always try and make things happen.

"But Walter Smith did not want to risk losing any stupid goals in such an important match - they were very compact and managed to keep Adrian Mutu quiet.

"The return leg has to be more aggressive from both sides and the game will eventually open up.

"But if the attitude is the same then we will have penalties."

Romanian international striker Mutu is the main threat for the home team and he was on target at the weekend as Fiorentina were held 2-2 at home by Sampdoria.

"Mutu is an unbelievable player," said Amoruso. "He didn't touch ball for 60 minutes, but when he did it was like the sun came out from behind the clouds. He is so dangerous.

"But Ferguson and Thomson add quality for Rangers and I know Fiorentina will leave spaces at the back.

"If Rangers can get forward enough, the chances will come."

I hope the big man is correct!! Keeping a clean sheet in the first game could be what wins it for us.

I saw Amo on the news and he said Fiorentina will win.....:confused:

He said he did think Fiorentina would win but he said he hoped Rangers would win as he has many friends at Ibrox and none at Fiorentina.