NEIL ALEXANDER was the spotkick king for Rangers for the second time this season as the Light Blues marched into the UEFA Cup Final.

The former Ipswich keeper crucially saved Fabio Liverani's effort in the nail-biting shoot-out and then Christian Vieri blasted over the bar setting up Nacho Novo to clinch it with Rangers' fifth kick.

He took the pressure off skipper Barry Ferguson who had missed the first kick and it followed his shootout success in the Scottish Cup semi-final against St Johnstone.

He said: "It had crossed my mind a few times this week that the match might go to penalties and it could not have worked out any better for me.

"It might not have been the prettiest game to watch but we got there in the end and that's the main thing.

"It's a lottery when it goes to penalties and either side could have won it and fortunately it was us. It's just an unbelievable experience.

"I just wanted to save one when Barry missed the first one to get us back in the game and that's the way it happened.

"Then Vieri put his over the bar and the rest is history.

"It's just getting better and better for me. Since getting in the team it has been fantastic.

"We were obviously disappointed to lose to Celtic last Sunday but this was a great way to put that to bed and give the fans something to cheer about.

"It's amazing. I was knocked out the League Cup in England by MK Dons on penalties at the beginning of this season when I was with Ipswich.

"I have a god record on penalties. I saved three out of five. When it comes to penalties I am very confident.

"I would fancy my chances if it goes to penalties in the final against Zenit but they must be a good side if they beat Bayern so convincingly.

He's summed up what football's all about right there.

Earlier in the season he's being knocked out of the Carling Cup at an early stage by a League Two side in MK Dons.. and later in the same season he's stopping a spot-kick to help his side into the UEFA Cup Final. Unreal.

Well played to this guy. He's sat in the shade while McGregor's been grabbing all the headlines and he's never once looked disgruntled about it, always looked happy to bide his time and show his joy when the teams doing well. Then he's finally got his chance and people did worry that we might have lost the ability to have someone between the posts to make that crucial save when it had to be made but Neil's been fantastic.

Granted, he's almost had his own script written for him in the sense that shootouts are lotteries, but even those aside he's, for the most part, looked confident whenever coming from a cross and what-not and has barely set a foot wrong.

Walter's got a headache if McGregor is fit in time for the final.

I don't think it is much of a headache for WS to be honest - McGregor has done as much, if not more, to get us to the UEFA final and is our first choice keeper.

WOuld be harsh on Alexander but McGregor deserves to play in the final if fit - and is the better keeper IMO so you play your best team.

I agree with the play your best team policy.

But it's always tough to leave out a guy who's being hailed as a hero in McGregor's absence.

I agree it is tough to leave him out when he has done so well to get us where we are - but so did McGregor - that is why WS gets paid the big bucks, to make the big decisions.

The one thing though - it is excellent to have two very very good keepers again !