Standing On The Edge Of Greatness

I don�t usually submit an article (or rant) on a Friday evening, but the unprecedented happenings of last night have forced me to reflect on The Rangers securing a place in a major European Cup final since 1972. If like me, you are too young to remember that fabulous night in Barcalona, then you�ll be entering un-chartered waters as our date with destiny hurtles towards us.

It is ironic that our foe for the evening will have a couple of familiar faces within its ranks. Dick Advocaat and Fernando Ricksen, whilst not being Rangers heroes do have and deserve places in our rich history and in some of our hearts. It is also ironic that some people, even Rangers fans are claiming that this is one of the worst Rangers teams since that historic evening in Barcelona. Like me, youââ?¬â?¢ll have watched ââ?¬Ë?better fanciesââ?¬â?¢ Rangers teams torn apart on the European stage (by very decent opposition at times, but lets be honest, more often than not, by some pretty average teams). This Rangers team / squad are different. They have resilience in abundance, they have undoubted team spirit, they have a will to win, they have heart and courage and lets not forget, the have some skill as well.

We have defeated some very decent teams during this European adventure, the highlight for me was watching us dismantle Lyon in their own back-yard. This was closely followed by our outstanding 2-0 victory in Lisbon (the home of the real Lisbon Lions). Admittedly we have at times been very ââ?¬Ë?frustratingââ?¬â?¢ to watch but it is undeniable that we are very, very hard to defeat on the European stage. This has been highlighted by the fact that we had a very decent showing in the CL Group of Death and by the fact that we are 90 minutes (or 120 + penalties) from writing a whole new chapter into our already rich and illustrious history.

These players (and management staff) stand on the edge of greatness ââ?¬â?? they are so close to creating history, so close to writing themselves into folklore, so close to be know as the ââ?¬Ë?invinciblesââ?¬â?¢. They have a huge amount of work ahead of them, they have a huge amount of ââ?¬Ë?blood, sweat and tearsââ?¬â?¢ ahead of them, they have a huge amount of personal and physical sacrifice ahead of them ââ?¬â?? however, itââ?¬â?¢ll all be worth it. 18 months ago, a quadruple would have been unthinkable, even a domestic trophy seemed a long, long, long way away. Tonight, we, THE RANGERS are one step closer, we are nearing the finishing line and we can see the glittering prizes. It is now up to the players to go that extra yard ââ?¬â?? come on Rangers ââ?¬â?? we canââ?¬â?¢t do it can we? We wonââ?¬â?¢t do it, will we ââ?¬â?? JUST KEEP BELIEVING - :rfc:

Cammy F