Just a wee thread for everyone to drop their thoughts and reflect on the season.

Enough has been said about whether we blew the league, the SPL blew it for us or both.

Im looking at it in 2 ways:

1) When Walter came in we were a mess and this seasons targets were to get in a position to challenge again. Big tick on that box.

2) Rangers should never have been in that situation anyway. Aswell as bringing in new faces, the main things Walter and Ally installed was fight, grit and never say die attitude with a bit of harmony - which should be at the club anyway! So maybe the quality has always been there!

I really am looking at the league as our loss more than Celtics win and 1 which should have added to our world record.

However if we go back to point 1 then this season has been a great season of progress. If we do the same next year then we should be champions.

Therefore next season the league title is a MUST! Stage 1 was steady the ship - done! Stage 2 was get back to be challenging again - done! Stage 3 is win titles - next!

There can be no excuses next season unless another club gets a multi million pound investment and signs world class players.

As i said in another thread, the fable that we done well this year means we are on a step up to next year is crap. Next year is a new fight as this year was. Celtic now have a place direct into the CL pool stages which guarantees them another multi million payout. They will also be in the spending game. I have already been reading Murray will not let more than 10 mill free for players. Even if he sells McGregor he will keep Alexander as a NO.1 and bring in a cheapo reserve keeper. Obviously if players leave they will have to be replaced but for me the question is will we face the main discrepancies that have been bugging us for the last few years.

Will Barry Ferguson be allowed to drive us to the mediocrity level we have been achieving for the last few years?

Will we sell the best defender we have had in decades?

Will we punt high balls up to Chris Boyd and say he is crap or will we have players to to get him into the area that he makes a difference?

So many questions, so few answers.

Agree that we threw it away. If we had done what we needed to there was nothing C****c could have done.

Next season we must prioritise. And we can't sacrifice Europe. A good run - not necessarily winning it - is essential for prestige and cash. But the two cup competitions? We can certainly do without all the extra time and replays they entailed. So I suggest we save the Scottish Cup and League Cup for the Furmans and Flecks - really utilise our squad to the full, which is IMO what WS didn't do this season.

I think if somebody had said to us at the start of this season. The Title will go to the last day of the season, you'll win 2 domestic cups and get to the Uefa Cup Final we would have bitten their hand off. Next season I would say obviously the Title is number one priority and competing in the CL Group stage. Interesting to see who comes in and who departs in the summer

So walter is suposed to be " building a team for the future". Then why did we sell Hutton, why is cuellar being touted to the highest bidder and if rumours are true why is Mcgregor going to spurs for 7 million?

Those three were the biggest players in the side this season and murray cant wait to get them out the door quick enough. money is the only language he knows and hell bite anyones hand off that offers it to him

were not building a team for the future. Mcgregor, hutton and cuellar were our three biggest players this season and its no surprise that they have become transfer targets. But if anyone had an eye on the future the door would be firmly shut in faces of any potential bidder.

it will be interesting to see if we do manage to hold on to Mcgegor and Cuellar as it will show the real level of ambition that the club is aiming for.

I fear we have no ambition at all.

So walter is suposed to be " building a team for the future". Then why did we sell Hutton, why is cuellar being touted to the highest bidder and if rumours are true why is Mcgregor going to spurs for 7 million?

I think the selling situation is out of Smiths hands to be honest don't you?

It seems to me that you can only win the league by being in contention and even then luck and events can conspire against you. We've been in contention only three times in the last seven years and two of those times we've had the luck and circumstances to hand the league to us. This year it went the other way.

We cannot expect to regain a dominance like the 9IAR years, Celtic have really sorted themselves out - and after a bit of self destruction, so do we.

Firstly we have to challenge and we cannot really expect more from a manager. If we challenge every year we should win a fair share of league titles.

Walter has achieved this and I don't know how he can be considered a failure for losing the league on the last day in incredibly difficult circumstances.

If it wasn't for the UEFA run we'd have one the league, I have no doubt. It happened to Celtic and they played less games and did not win anything.

I think we'd all swap the run for the league but at the time the UEFA became our most desirable competition.

We have a manager who challenges well in all competitions and has done so consistently in the short time since his return.

The squad is in it's infancy and I can only foresee improvement when we add some quality signings in the summer. Walter has shown he's learned a lot from his time away from Rangers, but like all managers he is still learning and I think he'll have new found wisdom from the experience of this season.

Celtic to me, despite out playing us for a season and a half, have carried a lot of luck over the last few years and I'm sure that cannot continue. Their team has stumbled to the championship this season, and Gordon will definitely have to try a different tack next season and somehow improve the way his team play and increase consistency.

We've recently have had two managers that have not come up to scratch when it comes to challenging but they've been disproportionately defended by many.

Walter came within a couple of wins and a few goals from a quadruple and I think he is conversely attracting a very disproportionate level of criticism.

It seems obvious to me that he's on the right road but needs time to round off a few rough edges.

Lets give him the time and support to do so.