Veteran star David Weir set to quit Rangers this summer

DAVID WEIR will almost certainly head back to England in the summer after being told he won't be an automatic first-team choice for Rangers next season.

The 38-year-old defender has been outstanding alongside Carlos Cuellar throughout the marathon 68-game season that ended on Saturday but Record Sport understands Rangers will try to bring in a centre-back to the club during the close season to partner the Spaniard next term.

Ibrox boss Walter Smith, who looks certain to offload injury-hit Andy Webster, would be delighted if Weir agrees to stay as back-up but the Scotland international is unlikely to want to sit on the bench in the twilight of his successful career.

Weir's family has remained in Lancashire and a move to a Championship club near his home would appeal. It is believed Owen Coyle's Burnley are interested and Weir would seriously consider an offer.

His Rangers and Scotland team-mate Christian Dailly is in the same position, with his family still living in England, and the 34-year-old also looks like returning south after six months in Glasgow.

Smith would like to keep the experienced player as back-up for a number of positions but he want to play regular football.

The Ibrox manager, however, hopes he can make Steve Davis's loan move from Fulham apermanent deal.

Rangers chief executive Martin Bain will try to strike a deal with the London club and could use Daniel Cousin - whose move to Craven Cottage was snagged by red tape in January - as part of the package.

Smith said: "I'll have a word with the lads and we'll see where we go from there.

"I would hope to keep them but we'll just have to wait and see how they feel about that."

It is a pity he won't stay as back-up but another year camped in our 18 yard box doesn't appeal to me. Best for everyone i think.

Glad he's not going to be a 1st team pick next season as I think his legs won't carry him over the season but absolutely gutted he won't be about to coach the young lads as his experience would've been vital.

I wish the guy all the very best.

So we're also looking to offload Webster? Good! You can't have a player on the books as long as him when he's only played one game for us.

For first team matters its probably for the best but he would be a great back up player. Maybe we should just offer him a coaching role aswell. If not we should bring Gough in that role.

As for Webster either get fit or leave. We cant have him sitting in the treatment room every week when we dont even own him.

If every signing shows the quality and commitment to the cause like Davie Weir did, I'll be well happy. Good luck to the big man, wherever he ends up.

As for Webster, agree with the lads. If he can't stay fit then punt him.

Dailly i'd liked to have kept as a dependable squad player, especially given the amount of positions he can play, done a good job for us. If it's not be, then he gets our thanks and best wishes for the future.

I actually think Weir could still do a job for us. He went through a bit of a shaky spell at one point mid-season when it looked like his lack of speed was costing us dearly and he made quite a few mistakes. But since then, he's been back to his best and one of our most consistent players tbh.

He's also showed that he's incredibly fit and hasn't looked tired when I've seen him play recently. Unless we signed someone better than him, I wouldn't have been worried about him and Cuellar at the back again and sorting out our full back positions would be more of a priority for me.

I think there is no doubt he can do a jo for us for another season,however I think he will head back down south to be with his family,master stroke by WS bringing him in,just ask Cuellar how good he is,if he does go then thanks big man great pro.

He's been a fantastic signing and I think he could have done a job next season, although probably mroe as back-up. Need a bit more pace I think for the first choice. And I agree that he would have been fantastic to keep on as a coach - his reading of the game is spectacular.