Rangers defender Christian Dailly has agreed in principle to a new one-year deal at Ibrox.

The 34-year-old joined Rangers from West Ham United in January and manager Walter Smith is keen to retain his services for the new campaign.

"I haven't spoken to the chief executive Martin Bain and I haven't signed anything," said Dailly.

"I have spoken to the manager already and we have more or less agreed to do it again next season."

Dailly, who is on international duty with Scotland ahead of the friendly with Czech Republic, made 22 appearances as Rangers won the League Cup and Scottish Cup and reached the final of the Uefa Cup.

The 66-time capped defender also scored twice in the league as the Ibrox club finished second to Celtic in the title race.

Dailly began his professional career with Dundee United before moving to Derby County in 1996 and onto Blackburn Rovers two years later.

He ended a seven-year association at Upton Park when he arrived at Ibrox in the January transfer window and also had a loan spell at Southampton.

Not a bad thing, he will be a good squad player who can fill in a number of positions.

So long as the ball stops going back to the keeper all the time. Between him and Hemdani it started annoying me how negative they can be. Yet Dailly if given some space can move pretty quickly when prompted to.

over the piece i have to say i was impressed by his performances since he came in. I was dead against him comming but you cant deny that he did a job for us.

I was exactly the same, but if he does stay next season I wouldn't want him to be used anymore than as a squad player

Good, experienced and probably relatively cheap squad player. He wasn't getting regular football at his previous club so can't expect it here and obviously doesn't.

At his age, he probably would prefer to win some medals as a squad player playing about 15 games a season rather than winning nothing with some relegation bound Championship team while knackering himself every week.

When you're younger you want to play, when you get older, you want to retire with some trinkets when you don't have many.