Was just sorting out my attic when I came across an old newspaper from 20001. There was an interview with Harry van Raay, the then president of PSV. Concerned that the smaller nations were losing out to the big 5 in the Champions League he proposed a Euro league for the likes of Holland, Portugal, Belgium etc. He said it was a cert. to happen in a few years.

This got me thinking: Gers are hamstrung because of lack of cash, but so are other huge clubs like Benfica and Ajax. How about a league comprising the following:

Rangers

Celtic

Benfica

Sporting Lisbon

Porto

Ajax

PSV

Feyenoord

Galatasaray

Fenerbahce

Olympiakos Piraeus

AEK Athens

Gothenburg

Rosenborg

+ 2 others (suggestions?)

Think of the sponsorship money that would attract. It could start to rival the main CL. Teams would probably play every Wednesday and could still remain in their own domestic leagues. It would be more like a LEAGUE not a knockout tournament which is what the CL is basically.

What does anyone else think?

The problem with this is that all those teams would still want a crack at the CL - they wouldn't get it in this format - or if they did then they wouldnt be allowed to play in their own domestic league. On top of that, after the season we have just had, I couldn't be convinced that playing in this on a Wednesday night then domestic league on a Saturday would be achievable.

Something needs to be done about the disparity between the leagues and an Atlantic league may be the answer - but we wouldnt be allowed to simultaneously play in the SPL.

The problem with this is that all those teams would still want a crack at the CL - they wouldn't get it in this format - or if they did then they wouldnt be allowed to play in their own domestic league. On top of that, after the season we have just had, I couldn't be convinced that playing in this on a Wednesday night then domestic league on a Saturday would be achievable.

Something needs to be done about the disparity between the leagues and an Atlantic league may be the answer - but we wouldnt be allowed to simultaneously play in the SPL.

As you say, something needs to be done. Somewhere along the line the Benficas and Ajaxes are gonna get cheesed off with the present disparity. It may have to come to the point that teams leave their own leagues, but I think the Old Firm would be better advised pursuing this option than dreaming about the premiership - because that's all it is - a dream. A real Euro league would not serve up the big four stalemate that now occurs in the EPL - it would be competitive. Can you imagine us getting worked up for our next league game v. say Porto or PSV?

As for teams wanting to still play in the CL - there could be some sort of 'feeder' system; maybe the top 4 could qualify for the CL.

I think something may happen and the Atlantic league idea hasnt gone away.

I can see a european set up involving every country meaning there will be a few divisions but that would be a good 10 years off. With the Lisbon treaty the EU is already getting closer, although this is bad politics more than anything else, but I can see football following on.

Once there is such breakaway it will change the face of the game. But I wouldnt mind seeing thr Atlantic league. Clubs like Ajax must really feel as frustrated as us, they were a giant 10 years ago and capable of winning the CL - now they struggle to win the Dutch league.

First and foremore the plums that run the Scottish game need to take a look at themselves. If they cant see that the SPL needs extended to 16 teams then we will continue being a laughing stock of a league especially with this split.

I think the split is the biggest laughing stock we could have. It was introduced to reduce games played yet teams ended up playing 2 MORE games and, on top of that, you get the anomaly of some teams playing head to head once on their own pitch and 3 times away. A JOKE of a system.

Ajax struggling to win the Dutch league is not a problem for anyone other than Ajax, their academy should still be head and shoulders above the rest of Holland - them struggling to win the Dutch league is nothing to do with finances as every team in Holland is under the same type of constraint.

Them struggling to compete in the CL is !!! The big 4 countries (England, Italy, Spain and Germany) are extending the disparity (I am not including France because aside from Lyon they dont seem to compete too well) and that is where the issues arise in the European game