What Does Resigning Kenny Miller Really Say About Rangers?

Everyone will have, and are entitled to their thoughts regarding the return to Rangers of Kenny Miller. Iââ?¬â?¢ve heard Rangers fans claim that they are against this signing for varying reasons : he played for Celtc, the way he ââ?¬Ë?over-celebratedââ?¬â?¢ his goal against Rangers whilst playing for Celtc, and the one I plump for, he just isnââ?¬â?¢t good enough. Now, I hope, for the clubs sake, that Miller proves me, and a whole lot of other Rangers fans wrong. I hope in 12 months time that I am sitting here admitting to eating humble pie, however, I have my reservations.

Kenny Miller is a ââ?¬Ë?run-of-the-millââ?¬â?¢ player ââ?¬â?? nothing more or nothing less. Kenny Miller, in my opinion found his level at Hibernian and that isnââ?¬â?¢t meant as a slight on the Edinburgh club, or Miller himself. Miller then found himself in the spot-light when Dick Advocaat bought him and then decided not to play him every often. Walter Smith and his backroom staff obviously rate Miller highly, as we as a club are no longer in the position to pay Ã?£2M for a squad player ââ?¬â?? Kenny Miller has been bought to spearhead our attack next season, of that there is no doubt.

So, the question is, is Kenny Miller better than anything we currently have at Ibrox, or any other striker that is within our ââ?¬Ë?budgetââ?¬â?¢? To me, the answer is NO. Is Kenny Miller the player to shoot us to the SPL title? Is Kenny Miller the player that could have nicked us a goal in Eastlands Stadium to clinch the UEFA Cup? Nothing that I have witnessed from the striker tells me he is. In fact, I would argue that Kenny Miller isnââ?¬â?¢t a striker who could have won us 2 domestic cups competitions this year (and regular readers will know my feelings on Kris Boyd).

In my opinion, the signing of Miller shows the diluted ambitions of our great club. I read a worrying, but very accurate description of Rangers on another website where a poster described Rangers as ââ?¬Ë?the smallest big club in the worldââ?¬â?¢. It seems that no matter how we do on or off the pitch, our current custodian downsizes our ambitions and chances of success year after year. This season we came tantalizingly close to a historic quadruple and with a little investment and an improvement in our squad, we would have taken significant strides over the close season and hopefully signed the players required to take that extra step in the SPL and UEFA Cup. However, it appears that any player leaving Rangers will no longer be replaces by someone of greater ability (another broken Murray promise).

As a club, we made over �£30M from our run in the CL and UEFA Cup and cashed in on Alan Hutton to the tune of �£9M. Not for one moment am I suggesting that all of this money should have been given to the manager, but a significant amount should be released to ensure that next season we can win the SPL and maybe, just maybe, go one better in Europe. Watching Holland last night served as a stark wake-up / reality call for me. Watching Gio reminded me of the players that we once had, players with genuine pace, genuine guile and genuine pace. Players who could win you games and players who are everything we are currently lacking. Van Bronkhurst was never going to spend his entire career at Ibrox, but was an outstanding talent who has developed into a true international class footballer.

It is worth remembering that Brian Laudrup cost Rangers Ã?£2.5M, Gazza, Mols, Negri cost in the region of Ã?£4M (each), all of whom are far more exciting than any player we are currently being linked with. We simply canââ?¬â?¢t afford to purchase more ââ?¬Ë?squadââ?¬â?¢ players this summer. We have the basis of a decent squad, but we need genuine prospects / players to supplement these players. However, if SDMââ?¬â?¢s track record is to continue, we are likely to see more Kirk Broadfoots (again, no disrespect to Kirk) than Giovanni Van Bronkhursts.

In essence, this is the sorry story that the resigning for Kenny Miller reemphasises to this Rangers supporter and this will never change until the current custodian is removed from his post.

As for Kenny Miller, like every Rangers player before him, he will receive nothing less that 100% backing from myslef when ever he pulls on that Rangers jersey but I have a feeling that he, even more that MoJo will split the Rangers support. But that is another topic for another thread.

Cammy F ââ?¬â?? Support The Dublin Loyal - We Are The Peopleââ?¬Â¦. :rfc:

Agreed on all there Cam....

No slights on any of the players you mentioned, but it is true that we are buying under what we should. It feels like SDM (through WS) is trying to get more player for his buck, but this unfortunately means more run of the mill players than anything "special" or with flair.

Now we are signing Velicka, another �£1m for a player who can score, but is it to fit into a 4-5-1? And if it is, why are we buying more strikers when only 1 will play???

A good article from Cammy F. BUT - I think Miller is getting more stick than he should nonetheless. He will at least give 100% unlike Cousin who he will likely replace. What about Velicka? No way is he better than Boyd. If Boyd is shown the door then that will be the real scandal, not the Miller signing. IMo we only really need one REAL quality player - in right midfield - to 'go one better' than last year. We already have a good squad. I fear there will be a striker clearout. Cousin will be missed by no one, but Velicka to replace Boyd should spark anger to make the fuss over Miller's signing seem like a tea party.

A good article from Cammy F. BUT - I think Miller is getting more stick than he should nonetheless. He will at least give 100% unlike Cousin who he will likely replace. What about Velicka? No way is he better than Boyd. If Boyd is shown the door then that will be the real scandal, not the Miller signing. IMo we only really need one REAL quality player - in right midfield - to 'go one better' than last year. We already have a good squad. I fear there will be a striker clearout. Cousin will be missed by no one, but Velicka to replace Boyd should spark anger to make the fuss over Miller's signing seem like a tea party.

Agree with that. Great read Cammy.

BUT, the worry is losing Boyd if indeed that turns out to be the case. A shocking decision if its true !

Guest damien

If the rank and file supporters are so willing to accept Walter's decision to sign Miller then they will willingly accept the selling of Boyd, that is fact. We saw proof of this when Hutton was sold, a few moans and groans and a lost league later it was apparently good for the club financially. Oh really, so we could spend less than one quarter of it on, and I quote Rangers here, 'Walter Smith's first major summer signing'. Now if that is a sign of the major signings then we are doomed.

One thing is for sure, SDM knows how to play with the Ibrox support. At every window he promises money will be spent. Then at the last moment excuses are found not to spend a fraction of what was promised. Alex McCliesh was promised money but then he was told he would be leaving and the money was to be kept for the new manager.

PLG entered the frame and the first signings he tried to make failed because we would not budge on the price.(Julien Faubert and Elmander) The difference was peanuts which puts a question mark on whether we were really in the market for them in the first place. He was left a budget that he could buy a few donkey's from Austria Wien with, and then surprisingly said "I don't need to spend any more money."

Bringing back Walter Smith could have caused SDM a lot of trouble but when he was coupled with Ally McCoist the support was won over. Walter was allowed to spend some money in the summer but in January his best player was forced out the door as Alan Hutton was told that Rangers would prefer 9 million in the bank than AH at right back. We then all sat glued to our computers waiting for the huge signing the money for Hutton would bring. We were given Steven Naismith and Steve Davis who was brought in on loan but yet again the big signing that was to shock the world just happened to fail at the last moment nd there was no time to spend the Hutton millions.

We have been promised that last season was to steady the ship and next season will be the season of seasons where we take control again.

Up until now we have gotten KM. A few players may follow but when the window shuts the promised millions will still be sitting safe in the SDM safe. A good excuse will follow of course.

First thing ive already stated I dont think Miller will be a bad signing, just not prolific. But its everything else behind the signing thats made this into a big issue.

The main thing about Cammys post is something Cammy and I have agreed on since Ive been on this forum - signing run of the mill players from other SPL clubs. IMO we have a fair sized squad now with the majority being good squad players but we need no more signings just to be fringe players - that means no more Alan Gow's or Broadfoots.

We need signings who are to go straight into the first XI.

I also wish we would stop going for vertasile players like Lafferty. We already have numerous players who can play in a few positions. Its players like this who can never set into 1 role so they get shifted round and dont get consistancy.

Lets not forget we have a mediocre player running the show in Barry Ferguson. If your engines a Fiat Panda you can't expect to drive like a Rolls Royce.

We need a play-maker with a bit of Flair and imagination. The engine room is the area we need to improve most imo.

given the type of player we are targeting in the transfer market i think it is pretty obvious that walter isnt going to change his tactics from last season.

there is a real lack of quality in our side and it is not being addressed by the management. we continue to pursue mediocre players who will bring very little to the team and play a standard of football that is well below the expectations of those who follow Rangers.

bill struth is famously quoted as saying "Our very success, gained you will agree by skill" but to look the quality and performances of the season past you really have to beg to differ. There is a real lack of skill and ability at Ibrox and i include the management in that.

The level of Ambition of our club has been questioned on this site quite a few times of late and as the new season draws nearer it is becomming apparent that we have very little ambition at all. The quality of player comming through the door does not match the ones being sold and that speaks volumes about the direction the club is moving.

It seems we should be happy with challeging for the SPL and qualifying for the CL group stages. After that?

Cross your fingers and hope for the best.