WALTER SMITH has told Kris Boyd he wants him to stay at Rangers - and guaranteed the striker a major role in his new-look side.

Boyd is being chased by Championship outfit Cardiff who are expected to increase the s2.5million offer they had rejected on Friday night.

The Scotland star does not want to leave Ibrox despite the arrival of three new hitmen and feels he can help Gers win the SPL and make an impact in the Champions League next season.

Boss Smith shares that view and held a heart-to-heart with the player to assure him he will be a key man. The Gers gaffer knows Boyd guarantees at least 25 goals a season and won't authorise his sale.

A source close to Boyd told MailSport: "Kris thought he may have to leave but has been assured he is in the manager's plans and is delighted because quitting Rangers is the last thing he wants.

"Kris can now focus on helping Rangers and improving his own game.

"The past few days have been unsettling but he now knows the situation and is happy the gaffer wants him."

It is more likely Daniel Cousin will be offloaded for around s2.5million and Jean-Claude Darcheville may also be heading for the exit.

Rangers have spent more than s6m in the past week to land Kenny Miller, Andrius Velicka and Kyle Lafferty.

But rather than being surplus to requirements, Boyd will be given the chance to partner Miller up front, particularly in home games.

Darcheville's future is now in real doubt yet he insists he'll still be at Ibrox next term to fight for a starting slot.

The Frenchman said: "The fact Rangers have signed three strikers doesn't worry me - it excites me.

"If we can strengthen all positions we'll have a strong squad and at a big club you need competition for places.

"I love Rangers and am settled here. I don't want to leave."

Meanwhile, Gers have snubbed three SPL clubs who want Alan Gow - despite trying to flog him to Burnley as part of the Lafferty deal.

Dundee United, Motherwell and Aberdeen have all made enquiries but Ibrox chiefs would rather sell the 25-year-old to England.

Gow will return for preseason training on Thursday but his future lies away from Ibrox and several Championship clubs could move in.

**From sunday mail**

The Sunday Liam

Nice anagram there :thup:

As far as I'm concerned, all the daily rags are as bad as one another. Just bullsh*t, followed by contradiction, then some more bullsh*t. Trouble is that so many football fans lap it up as FACT. Don't get me wrong, I keep up to date with the headlines myself. I just need to keep remininding myself to take it with a pinch of salt until it's OFFICIAL. Actual transfers aside, IMO the best news we could get this season is an article on the Rangers website confirming that Cuellar, McGregor and Boyd have all had their contracts extended.

Agreed Bluedell. :thup:

He didn't hand him the no.9 shirt for no reason.

I reckon he and Coisty have been working on his all-round game in the background, whilst shielding him from the cr*p he would get if they continued to drop him in at the deep end week-in, week-out. Personally I think they can turn him into one of the best strikers in Europe. Time will tell ;)

Agreed Bluedell. :thup:

He didn't hand him the no.9 shirt for no reason.

I reckon he and Coisty have been working on his all-round game in the background, whilst shielding him from the cr*p he would get if they continued to drop him in at the deep end week-in, week-out. Personally I think they can turn him into one of the best strikers in Europe. Time will tell ;)

Thats a very BOLD STATEMENT - I'd settle for Boyd becoming the best striker in the SPL.

Cammy F

Personally i think this statement is to bolster his price.

If they say they want rid of him then he will be worth a lot less.

I still think he will be sold. But i would love a 25 goal man coming off the bench.

Thats a very BOLD STATEMENT - I'd settle for Boyd becoming the best striker in the SPL.

Cammy F

Possibly :D

But you'll still be the one eating your words within a couple of seasons if we do sell him ;)

Possibly :D

But you'll still be the one eating your words within a couple of seasons if we do sell him ;)

NAh, like the vast majority of players that leave Rangers, Boyd's career will go 'down-hill' - he'll end up alongside Stevie Thomspon at Cardiff or somewhere similar.

Cammy F