Rangers have been warned they must meet Fulham's asking price for Steven Davis if they want the midfielder at Ibrox next season.

The Cottagers have refused to lower their valuation of the Northern Ireland international, who spent the second half of last season on loan with Walter Smith's side.

The west Londoners paid Premier League rivals Aston Villa around �£4million for Davis 12 months ago and are thought to want to recoup their investment in the player.

The Gers have made early moves this summer for 23-year-old, in an effort to have him available for their pre-season programme, but Roy Hodgson has revealed he sees Davis as part of his first-team plans at Craven Cottage.

Hodgson said in the Daily Mail: "I know Rangers are interested in buying him and they have made bids which, so far, we have not found acceptable.

"He will only leave if a club matches our valuation."

The Fulham boss added: "Every player has his price but, as far as we are concerned, Steven is still part of our squad and he will be welcomed back here."

I know he looked fantastic when he first arrived last season, and was playing through the middle. BUT, he did lose a hell of a lot of admirers towards the later end of the season when pushed out to the right.

Is he the plaer we are looking for or needing and worthy of such a fee?

Played out on the right, I'd say no, played through the middle yes. But then who then forms the mifield for us with BF, KT, BH, SD and possibly a couple of others. I think it's unfortunate we haven't sold or got rid of anone yet to get a clearer picture of whats in WS's mind for next season.

Just interested in everyones thoughts...

I'd love to see him getting a run through the middle. He'd be worth the money if he was played there. He was wasted on the right and thats why his performances tailed off.

I don't think he's worth the 4m.

This one for me is cut and dried in that it is easy to see where the value in signing him is, or is not.

1. If played wide right.... dont buy him, waste of money

2. If played through the middle he is a fair shout but is he worth 4 mill ?

3. If played through the middle who does he dislodge from BF or KT ? If neither then don't buy him, 4 mill for a bench warmer is a LOT of money

4. If played in the hole behind a lone striker then buy him.

Personally I think that we could get better for 4 mill - the question becomes whether or not we could attract that person to the SPL.

This one for me is cut and dried in that it is easy to see where the value in signing him is, or is not.

3. If played through the middle who does he dislodge from BF or KT ? If neither then don't buy him, 4 mill for a bench warmer is a LOT of money

Personally I think that we could get better for 4 mill - the question becomes whether or not we could attract that person to the SPL.

Have we bought Darren Bent.:P

As has been said I don't think he's worth $M or put it this way if he is we can get better for that price. I was impressed when he first arrived, but once Thomson returned from injury, he took over Davis role in the team and Davis did not look the same player out wide. Ordinary at best in fact. He'd be a good signing for cover but not at that price

I reckon he's worth it. He's young, versatile, got bags of experience for his age and he's a bluenose. I'd like to see him playing a more central role, preferably attacking mid, letting Barry sit back and spray passes arround. If we're still playing a 4-5-1 as much next season, I don't see why we couldn't have Davis in there with Ferguson and Thomson. If not, then I still think he'd get more game time than Lafferty next season. I know we weren't prepared to pay that much for Broon last season (thankfully) but this season we need quality more than quantity. The lads already proven himself. Time to pay up Mr Murray.

Or if play him in a midfield trio behind 3 strikers then buy him:

________Ferguson_______Davis________Thomson___________

_____Miller____________Velicka_________Lafferty/Beasley____

I like that Gribz!!!:thup:

Alan Hutton and Stevie Smith as the backs would be the icing on the cake.