http://www.gersnetonline.net/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=657&Itemid=1

After Kenny Miller�s debut for his much debated second spell at Rangers, I think it�s time for an objective look at what this controversial signing really brings to the table.

First off, I donââ?¬â?¢t blame any Rangers fan for not welcoming this player with open arms to our club. In todayââ?¬â?¢s financial climate, Ã?£2million is a lot of money for any player ââ?¬â?? not least one who failed in his first spell and has hardly shown throughout his career to be the kind of genuine quality player the club talked about bringing in over the summer. Add in his ridiculous chest-beating antics after scoring against us at Celtic then his signing was never going to be popular.

After impressing at Hibs and winning the ââ?¬Ë?Young Player of the Yearââ?¬â?¢ award in 1999/2000, like many a player before and after him, Miller made the journey along the M8 to sign for Rangers. As he will again later this month, he made his competitive debut at Ibrox against Kaunas and went on to spend 18 months at the club.

During that time he actually had some decent games which reflected his potential ââ?¬â?? goals against Monaco in the CL and the 5 goal spree against St Mirren the highlights of his one full season in his first spell at the club. He also played an important part in wins against other teams (including the 5-1 against Celtic) but in a season where the Dick Advocaat era imploded with various senior players (Konterman, Ricksen and Moore) all losing their discipline while the crazy signing of Tore Andre Flo relegated Miller to little less than a bit-part player after Xmas, Miller proved to be an easy scapegoat for the manager and the fans as the Oranje-era fell apart.

Since then Miller�s career and goal-scoring record has been inconsistent due to a combination of injuries and manager fall-outs with regard to his best position and overall worth to the team. Miller�s previous with regard to being quick to run to the media certainly haven�t helped his reputation either.

As such, it�s arguably at international level where he�s been most accepted by any fans. No-one can deny that Miller�s contribution in a reasonably resurgent Scotland side has been valuable. His industry, working of the channels and the odd goal has shown he can play a bit against decent opposition. His natural game is probably well suited to teams where the pressure of actually scoring goals and winning games isn�t of the level of the very best teams (domestic or international).

The question remains: is he good enough for Rangers?

As with any new signing that question isnââ?¬â?¢t easy to answer. At first glance his striker statistics ââ?¬â?? specifically goals scored ââ?¬â?? are hardly impressive. However, most fans will agree, itââ?¬â?¢s not really goals where Miller excels. His first touch is also poor, his finishing average and itââ?¬â?¢s only his work-rate that allows these flaws to be minimised. In saying that, Miller reads the game pretty well and shows decent awareness in possession also. All in all, heââ?¬â?¢s a difficult player to make an honest and accurate judgement on.

Therefore, I think it�s fair to say the signing represents a more than moderate gamble by Walter Smith. It�s this gamble that puzzles me though. Why take the risk on a player the fans were never going to accept initially? Smith did enough last season to allow the majority of fans to say his second spell in charge could help take Rangers back to the successes of his previous reign. Latter disappointments in the UEFA Cup Final (yes, that�s final) and losing the league late on did temper that optimism somewhat though. As such the signing of Miller allowed the more sceptical of our fans more room to voice their negativity. And, to be fair, they have a point.

So, when the season finally gets going: when the competitive games start; when the CL qualifier lottery begins; and when the SPL battle gets under-way; it won�t just be Kenny Miller needing to persuade many fans that his second spell will be a success - Walter Smith will also have the jury out as well.

Thus, was the signing of Kenny Miller a gamble worth taking? Or does it place needless extra pressure on a manager who may find that his legendary status amongst the Rangers support is brought into disrepute because of signing an average ex-Celtic player?

The dice have been thrown.

Good post Frankie.However the only reason this going to be a pressure pot scenario for KM & WS is that some fans are just never going to accept KM back,wrongly IMO,as by all accounts the boo boys have been active already in yesterdays friendly !!!!!.Any player deserves a chance IMO and WS certainly deserves our support,but unfortunately this is not going to happen and I fear the worst for KM in the coming season,hope i'm wrong but doubt it. I actually think the KM is a decent player and will improve the team,worth 2m ?,I don't know,but who is and isn't worth 2m. Bottom line is he has signed and gets my support as do all Rangers players and I for one hope he has a great season and prove he can improve Rangers.

II'm not a Kenny Miller fan, far from it. I think he'll fail and if he turns out to be a success I'll firstly be shocked and secondly be slightly gutted that he has. I'm hoping he's a flop so we try and sell him ASAP.

Controversial perhaps but the guy is a waste of space.

Cant agree more with Ian's post. I like Miller as a player and think he is the kind of player we needed in certain games last season.

He is never a world beater but if he brings his Scotland for to Ibrox (which WS got out of him) then im sure he is going to play well for us.

Why would you hope he flops though ?,I mean how can that possibly help Rangers ?

Cause it could give other players with more talent a chance to play and impress. Miller and a wee runt who thinks because he runs about like a headless chicken for 90 minutes that makes him something special plus he misses more than he score, way more!

walter smith has been extremely testy with the fans since he's came back; i think he has his own agenda with all that. i wouldn't be suprised if the miller deal was put to murray in terms of being an a) decent signing, and b) something that would set a precedent for players moving between clubs and it's not being a big deal.

I'm not convinced by KM and do think his finishing is poor but I can still see he's a half decent player. He did well in a couple of big games for Scotland under Walter and maybe our manager can get the best out of him.

I think the one thing his detractors need to do is to is to give him a chance and save judgments of him for his form in the present instead of the past, but I doubt that will happen.

Some people will never accept him due to his Celtic connections and he doesn't have the exciting talent like Mo Johnson to win them over. He's a grafter rather than a flair player, and that type are no longer so popular at Ibrox.

He can't win whetever he does IMO. As long as WS is here so will KM and he will mainly be first choice, he won't be sold just to please some fans!

I don't think he's anything special and is not worth �£2m but I still hope he does well for us when playing and can score or create chances and help us win.