Rangers would be mad to let Boyd go ââ?¬â?? Hateley

RANGERS legend Mark Hateley has slammed suggestions goal ace Kris Boyd should join Cardiff City in a swap deal involving Bluebirds ace Glenn Loovens.

The Ibrox club�s boss Walter Smith has pinpointed Loovens as the defender he wants most as he looks to turn Rangers into Scottish champions again in the coming 2008-09 campaign.

Rangers have told Cardiff they want Loovens plus �£1m if they are to part with Boyd, who Jones made his No1 summer transfer target from the start.

But former England centre forward Hateley says the idea should not even be entertained and Rangers should forget about Boyd coming to Ninian Park.

Hateley said: ââ?¬Å?There is talk the only way Walter will be able to land Loovens from Cardiff is if he trades in his top scorer to sweeten the deal. But Iââ?¬â?¢m afraid, when it gets to that stage, you have to ask: What the heck is going on?

ââ?¬Å?Walter is keen to find someone else and I canââ?¬â?¢t help but think there is something a little too convenient about the fact his top target just happens to play for the very club who have been trying to land his most prolific predator the whole summer.

ââ?¬Å?Donââ?¬â?¢t get me wrong. Iââ?¬â?¢m sure Loovens would be a very decent signing. I have heard nothing but good things about the player.

ââ?¬Å?But if Rangers want him they should just go and take him. Walter shouldnââ?¬â?¢t have to let go his biggest goal threat just to get a deal done.ââ?¬Â

In his column for the Daily Record, Hateley continued: ââ?¬Å?It sounds strange, but in the end I fear Boydââ?¬â?¢s goals are about to cost him his Ibrox career.

ââ?¬Å?You donââ?¬â?¢t unearth goalscorers like him too easily and itââ?¬â?¢s even more of a rarity to find one who canââ?¬â?¢t get a game for his own team.

ââ?¬Å?Boydââ?¬â?¢s record is nothing short of phenomenal and yet the truth is heââ?¬â?¢ll most probably be a bit-part player this season if he decides to stick it out at Ibrox.

ââ?¬Å?Even so, his goals make him a hugely valuable asset and, as a result, he is a fantastic bargaining tool.

ââ?¬Å?There is no doubt Walter can get by without him. Heââ?¬â?¢s signed three strikers this summer in Kenny Miller, Andrius Velicka and Kyle Lafferty ââ?¬â?? which means he has eight or nine players fighting for two places up front.

ââ?¬Å? So yes, Walter can do without Boyd. But he shouldnââ?¬â?¢t have to. You simply cannot put a price on the goals Boyd provides and it would be better for the manager to have this option available to him ââ?¬â?? even if itââ?¬â?¢s only as an impact player.

ââ?¬Å?Of course, that might not be good enough for Boyd, but, if I was him, I wouldnââ?¬â?¢t be looking to throw in the towel just yet.

ââ?¬Å?He has never won a league title and you donââ?¬â?¢t want to look back at the end of your career and regret the one that got away. Thatââ?¬â?¢s why Iââ?¬â?¢d remain and have another go at it.

ââ?¬Å?The trouble is, some times these decisions are not yours to make.Things appear to be tight at Ibrox this summer, even the manager canââ?¬â?¢t get what he wants.ââ?¬Â

Meanwhile, Bluebirds chairman Peter Ridsdale is adamant Loovens is going nowhere.

ââ?¬Å?I expect and hope Glenn will still be a Cardiff player when we are at home to Southampton in the first league match of the season,ââ?¬Â he said.

ââ?¬Å?We want to keep the players we have and supplement the squad with the two strikers our manager wants.

ââ?¬Å?If any player were to go, it would take an offer at a level enabling us to find an adequate replacement.ââ?¬Â

Loovens, who has one year left on his contract, has also attracted interest from Premiership newcomers Hull City and Stoke.

He started next to Roger Johnson in City�s 1-1 draw against Vitoria de Setubal and was his usual competitive and efficient self as he completed the 90 minutes.

Another Boyd thread I know, but I agree with Hately (as you all know) we would be mad to let him go. I hope he is more than a bit part or impact player (although it looks likely)

Velicka loogs good, Miller the same as many expected although its still early and we havent seen anything of Lafferty. JCD and Cousin still here which suprises me.

As Hately says in the article, if we want the player, just go and get him. Unfortunately we havent done this for a while, the possible exception of Lafferty.

I still want him to stay but it would be as an impact player as Hately says. At this moment Velicka would be my first choice as i have been very impressed by him.

Here we go again, Boyd and his 2 cheerleaders :D

His goals have been so vital we havent won a league title with him :sleep:

I repeat if we get another offer for 3 million id bite the hand but at the same time if he stays as a squad player then so be it, he will be handy in certain SPL games.

I still want him to stay but it would be as an impact player as Hately says. At this moment Velicka would be my first choice as i have been very impressed by him.

I have also been impressed by him and if we are to play with one up front then fine he seems the best choice IMO. But if we play a more attacking team in the SPL (surely we will with all our strikers) I don't see how Boyd cannot get a start most games.

Here we go again, Boyd and his 2 cheerleaders :D

His goals have been so vital we havent won a league title with him :sleep:

I repeat if we get another offer for 3 million id bite the hand but at the same time if he stays as a squad player then so be it, he will be handy in certain SPL games.

Have you not changed this as I'm sure you used to say we have not won a trophy with Boyd's goals? Now it's the league title. :rolleyes:

I know we never but what if we did win the league last season and Boyd of course finished top scorer would you have gave him any credit at all? Or would your credit have went to JCD or Cousin who played more games yet scored less goals?

I have also been impressed by him and if we are to play with one up front then fine he seems the best choice IMO. But if we play a more attacking team in the SPL (surely we will with all our strikers) I don't see how Boyd cannot get a start most games.

On seeing how Velicka set up Fleck for his goal then Boyd may be a good option to play with him. I certainly wasn't impressed by Miller on saturday and his touch was no better than Boyds. Velicka\ Boyd would be worth a try that is for sure.

Have you not changed this as I'm sure you used to say we have not won a trophy with Boyd's goals? Now it's the league title. :rolleyes:

I know we never but what if we did win the league last season and Boyd of course finished top scorer would you have gave him any credit at all? Or would your credit have went to JCD or Cousin who played more games yet scored less goals?

No i was merely picking the quote from Hateley about his goals. Its not just down to Boyd though - I admit that. Its down to a lack of quality throughout the squad, WS resisiting to play others last season and throw the fixture pile up in aswell.

He may possibly have a potentially good partnership with Velicka but right now I cant see where the midfield fits around that. Ive said all along for Boyd to be in the team we need creators around him so he can just poach and nothing else.

On seeing how Velicka set up Fleck for his goal then Boyd may be a good option to play with him. I certainly wasn't impressed by Miller on saturday and his touch was no better than Boyds. Velicka\ Boyd would be worth a try that is for sure.

I agree again Pete, certainly worth a try but will that happen!!

Surely 1 from JCD, Cousin or Boyd will leave before the start of the season anyway?? We have about 8 strikers at the moment.

Im surprised to see Cousin still with us, perhaps he has improved. At the moment Ive no doubt that Velicka and Cousin would be our best option upfront so long as Cousin gave his all.