Sky-high Transfer Prices Are Forcing Gers Out Of The Market

Thursday July 24,2008

By Jim McLean

WALTER SMITH has admitted that Rangers have been priced out of the market time and again in the hunt to bring top international stars to Ibrox.

The Rangers boss has a wide sweeping dossier on an array of signing targets to bolster his squad in a determined bid to win the premier league and continue to make a significant impact in the European arena.

But so far Smith has made three major signings - the striking trio of Kyle Lafferty, Andrius Velicka and Kenny Miller.

He's tried and failed in moves for many others and, while the hunt goes on for fresh talent during the current transfer window, he confessed: ââ?¬Å?The reason we do not get them is because we cannot afford the wages and, a lot of the time, the transfer fees as well.

�¬

The reason we do not get them is because we cannot afford the wages

ââ?¬Å?This is the biggest factor, regardless of what anyone says. ââ?¬Â

He added: ââ?¬Å? Rangers had a go at things and got into a financial problems a couple of years ago. So, it is impossible to go down that road again.

ââ?¬Å?I have made a few enquiries about people this summer and that found that the wages were prohibitive.... and that is before you start looking at transfers fees.

Hmmm, Hmmmm 30mill? Mr Smith.

Davis May Still Live His Goal

By The Editor

Wednesday, 23rd July 2008

Rangers Hopeful After Fulham Drop Davis Price

Rangers have been given renewed hope of signing Steven Davis after Fulham lowered their �£4m valuation of the Northern Ireland midfielder.

Article continues below

The Herald understands Rangers have also lined up Pedro Mendes, the Portsmouth playmaker, as a back-up. The Portuguese would help add to the club's creative department but his wages - believed to be in excess of �£30,000-a-week - could prove prohibitive.

Martin Bain, the Ibrox chief executive, resumed negotiations with the Fulham board yesterday and while the clubs have yet to agree a deal, Rangers are back in contention despite Blackburn Rovers lodging a �£3.5m bid.

Davis has expressed his desire to join Rangers on a permanent deal and fresh talks could take place today in a bid to sign the midfielder before the midnight transfer deadline for the Champions League second qualifying round tie against FB Kaunas.

Rangers are also involved in a game of brinkmanship with Cardiff City over the possible signing of Glenn Loovens. Dave Jones, the Cardiff manager, has told Rangers to firm up their interest with a serious offer but with the defender in the final year of his contract, Smith is prepared to play the long game. Rangers will consider an offer in the region of �£1.5m in due course but are prepared to wait until January.

One player who will not be signing is former Aberdeen defender, Russell Anderson. The Sunderland centre back has rejuvenated his career on loan to Plymouth Argyle and while Paul Sturrock is keen to sign him on a permanent deal, reports claimed Rangers were set to make a �£500,000 bid.

With Davis the priority, it is also unlikely Adam Johnson will join on loan from Middlesbrough. Ewan Chester, the Rangers chief scout, had identified Johnson's potential last season.

You just don't know what to believe anymore.

Spending the excess of 6 million on strikers has cost us in other positions. Im not really sure why we needed to sign Velicka, Lafferty and Miller. 2 from 3 would have been alright. Velicka looks the best buy so far.

All this without offloading any of our current strikers. This is now costing us in vital areas.

Fulham know if they don't sell Davis today then all the pressure is off Rangers to buy him and Rangers can then hold out until the next deadline. They will also want time to spend the money. Davis will sign today.

Fulham know if they don't sell Davis today then all the pressure is off Rangers to buy him and Rangers can then hold out until the next deadline. They will also want time to spend the money. Davis will sign today.

Hope your right Pete as the champions league qualifier teams meant to be in for tonight ?

So hopefully we can get Davis tied up.

What have we spent so far this summer ? �£6 million or something and subtract how much we got for Sebo and Buffel. So lets say we have spent �£5million so far. I am confident that we will have at least �£10million - �£15million still in the transfer kitty

Hmmm, Hmmmm 30mill? Mr Smith.

What 30M?

If you want to see how much extra we have to spend you'll have to wait for the accounts and look for the retained profit. I'll bet it's nowhere near �£30M.

If we spend �£10M on transfer fees that will be pretty high considering our current finances and is likely to increase our debt. The wages are another matter and all of them can only be paid out of our likely annual gross profit - ie revenue minus cost of sales. Then there a load of other expenses including servicing debts and of course tax.

Balancing the books will be more complicated than just going out and spending a �£30M increase in revenue.

I'd estimate our wage budget to be about 20-25M. If we pay Premiership type wages of say 50K per week, that would mean we could only have 10 players. To have about 30 players means we have to average about 15k.

If you want to keep your team happy you need a wage structure so that you don't have a couple of guys on far higher wages than the rest, which puts plenty of noses out of joint.

After the huge debt we got into, I thought Rangers fans in particular would be a bit more understanding.

Hope your right Pete as the champions league qualifier teams meant to be in for tonight ?

So hopefully we can get Davis tied up.

What have we spent so far this summer ? �£6 million or something and subtract how much we got for Sebo and Buffel. So lets say we have spent �£5million so far. I am confident that we will have at least �£10million - �£15million still in the transfer kitty

I think it would be more like 5M left...

I hope 2 or 3 from Davis, Varynen, Mendez and Lovenkrands sign ASAP. Cant see the last 2 though.

Said on another thread Varynen would be a good signing but apparently McCoist 'distanced' himelf from those reports. Can't for the life of me see why. Can't be the wages; he's not from the premiership. like Mendes.

What 30M?

If you want to see how much extra we have to spend you'll have to wait for the accounts and look for the retained profit. I'll bet it's nowhere near �£30M.

If we spend �£10M on transfer fees that will be pretty high considering our current finances and is likely to increase our debt. The wages are another matter and all of them can only be paid out of our likely annual gross profit - ie revenue minus cost of sales. Then there a load of other expenses including servicing debts and of course tax.

Balancing the books will be more complicated than just going out and spending a �£30M increase in revenue.

I'd estimate our wage budget to be about 20-25M. If we pay Premiership type wages of say 50K per week, that would mean we could only have 10 players. To have about 30 players means we have to average about 15k.

If you want to keep your team happy you need a wage structure so that you don't have a couple of guys on far higher wages than the rest, which puts plenty of noses out of joint.

After the huge debt we got into, I thought Rangers fans in particular would be a bit more understanding.

I think that's a good objective analysis. Too many gers fans think we're still living in the Souness era, when English clubs and media were jealous of our spending power. Now I think we have to concentrate all our energies on scouting and finding gems with a good sell-on fee. Maybe that's what we're up to with Lafferty. Been said before, but PSV should be our model - forget high-profile signings. For me just holding on to Cuellar and McGregor is like new signings anyway.