Surprised, But Are You Really Shocked?

After the woeful performances against Lithuanian Hearts, we are faced with the prospect of life without our stand-out player King Carlos. Carlos has activated a release clause in his contract and is on his way to Aston Villa. Depending on whether you believed the rumours, this move may have come as a surprise to some of us, but can any of us say we are shocked that our prize asset has been sold?

Failing to qualify for the Champions League was always going to leave a gaping hole in our financial report and the only way to fill this hole was to sell players. The only player we currently have on our books who is worth any sort of money is Carlos. So it doesn’t take a genius to work out that he’d be the one that we’d lose.

Some fans chose to believe SDM’s latest ramblings that any money recouped from transfers would be given to WS to strengthen the squad. I remain sceptical on this happening and await the closure of the transfer window with interest. Already the rumours (no doubt initiated by SDM’s lapdogs in the media) are flying through cyberspace on Rangers forums claiming that Lovenkrands, Loovens, Maloney et al are queuing up at Ross Hall for medicals prior to signing for Rangers.

There are also rumours of bust-ups between McCoist and Bain and claims that McCoist has walked from his post. All in all, not the best publicity for our club and certainly not the behaviour you expect for Scotland’s premier club.

So where does that leave Rangers FC? Well, we are a worse team / squad than we were last season and going on the 3 competitive games played this season, we look a team devoid of ideas, of guile and of genuine football players.

I would venture to say that in the last week, our club has become a laughing stock and whilst this is hard to stomach, we have also take of the blinkers and acknowledge that we are also trailing our bitterest rivals both on and off the pitch. This is galling admission given how far ahead we were a decade ago.

Whilst typing this disjointed article I can feel a lump in my throat and feel my stress levels reaching breaking point. The most frustrating thing about it, the majority of fans will just shrug this latest catastrophe off and still believe that SDM will deliver his promise of ‘moonbeams of success’.

This certainly isn’t the Rangers that we deserve, and this certainly isn’t the Rangers that we all love. In fact, if this Rangers were your wife you would have divorced her, and if this Rangers were a family member, you’d have disowned them. However, this is OUR club and we are hardier than that.

Will this downturn (downsizing) get any better? Not under the current regime and I can’t see enough support for change so we are stuck with what we have. Don’t know if any of the above makes sense, but I am seething at the moment so not much is making sense to be perfectly honest.

Farewell Carlos, thanks for the memories and good luck in the future. For those of us left behind, strap yourselves in, its going to be a helter-skelter ride as fans of this great club vent their frustrations in ways that we all won’t agree on.

Cammy F:rfc:

How can you get so up in arms by David Murrays " pish and wind " but still find it in you to wish " King Carlos " all the best. Their was absolutly no need for him to come out with his own " pish and wind " statements when he knew full well he would fuck off at the first oppurtunity.

Cuellar can take a run and jump. To think I believed he loved Rangers and would be here for years to come :brick:

Fair enough the tone of the full article just seemed to show Cuellar in a very favourable light. I doubt very much If a Murray one would be the same.

I believe that Cuellar deserves to be looked upon in a favourable light. If he was that interested in leaving, why did he turn up at the games when he was injured?

He was let down by the club, and can't be blamed for wanting to leave IMO.

I believe that Cuellar deserves to be looked upon in a favourable light. If he was that interested in leaving, why did he turn up at the games when he was injured?

He was let down by the club, and can't be blamed for wanting to leave IMO.

I am quite indifferent to Cuellar at the moment.

Cammy it seems obvious hates individuals trying to manipulate the public through press conferences etc. What Cuellar done recently was very Murray-esque. I think Cuellar told everyone what we wanted to hear and if he really did love Rangers he would ride out a season without European football in a bid to help bring the league flag home.

I have no problem with players using us a stepping stone, it has happend for years ( Gio, Arteta...) Lets face it their is no loyalty left in football. However I don't like the fact Cuellar made me believe he was here to stay.

I have no problem with players using us a stepping stone, it has happend for years ( Gio, Arteta...) Lets face it their is no loyalty left in football. However I don't like the fact Cuellar made me believe he was here to stay.

Ach, come on. It's the same old pish throughout football. Players play primarily for themselves & secondarily for their clubs. You actually can't blame them either since their career length dictates that they look out for themselves & their lives after football. They might get paid a fortune, but they might have to make that fortune last them 40-50 years after stopping playing unless they fancy going back to being a chippie or plumber at the age of 60. Most of them don't become media pundits or rag columnists. I'm not really sticking up for Cuellar, but it really is the same all over. I remember fancy assed step over boy Ronaldo getting interviewed 2 mins after ManU won the CL final, saying he was gonna stay at the club, then days later he'd changed his tune because he must've had a step over of a brainwave & realised that it was in his own interest to keep his options open. In Cuellar's case I'm just surprised it was Aston Villa, since I thought he could do better for himself. He'll soon regret though. Imagine havin' MON as a boss. LOL

I think Cuellar told everyone what we wanted to hear and if he really did love Rangers he would ride out a season without European football in a bid to help bring the league flag home.

You have plenty of life-long Rangers fans giving up their season tickets in disgust at what is happening at the club, and you expect Cuellar to look at the team that Walter had put together for this season and you expect him to take a risk with his career and want to stay? :confused: That's more than a tad harsh on Cuellar.

You have plenty of life-long Rangers fans giving up their season tickets in disgust at what is happening at the club, and you expect Cuellar to look at the team that Walter had put together for this season and you expect him to take a risk with his career and want to stay? :confused: That's more than a tad harsh on Cuellar.

Good point. Maybe I am being harsh. I am just absolutly gutted, I worshiped him last year and will never forget singing the big mans name for hours on end in Florence. I just genuinly thought he would be here for another couple of years.

I think I hung my hopes on the guy that we could actually keep a genuinly world class player for many years. Its hard coming to terms with the calibre of player we can keep at the club.

If your not a Ranger you're no use to me...

Perhaps in a couple of weeks/months I'll forgive the big man but I'm too gutted he isn't a bear just now to do it.

The one thing Cuellar has showed is ambition. Ambition to improve himself in arguably the best league in the world, doing so by joining an ambitious club with a chairman willing to back his manager, and achieving his ultimate ambition of playing for his country. And I have absolutely no problem with that at all. Is something that seems to be sadly lacking from the higher echelons of Ibrox and Murray Park at the moment.

What I will say that calling him genuinely world class is a bit premature. Yes, he had an outstanding season in the SPL and was far and away our best player last season. However, he wasn't picked up by the big clubs in Spain when he left Osasuna for us, and again he hasn't been picked up by them this time. Is there a reason for this? I don't know. He has proved himself in the SPL and in one European campaign for us but he'd need to get into Spanish team and be brilliant for Villa to be considered world class. We have done not bad business quadrupling our money in a year, and surely that was what our policy of signing young and up and coming players was all about? Is something we need to see more now that we are blatantly a selling club!

I will however wish him all the best as I would like to see a big name export from the SPL do well down in the EPL, and would hope that we had a future fee percentage penned into the deal. Of the last few big money deals from Scotland to England none has exactly excelled. Van Bronckhorst flattered to deceive at Arsenal, Boumsong was a disaster at Newcastle and Cuellars new team mate Stilian Petrov has struggled at Villa. Is to early to judge Hutton yet. Him being successful down there reflects well on us.